Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-21, 01:10 PM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Airlines ground dozens of Boeing 777's after engine failure

Boeing has suspended operations for more than 100 of the 777 aircraft after an engine on a United Airlines flight from Denver caught fire and scattered debris in a Colorado neighborhood. Pert of an engine went through a roof of a house. There were no reported injuries from the falling debris.

Quote: Fifty-nine more aircraft were in storage. The company said the suspensions would remain in effect until the Federal Aviation Administration identified an "appropriate inspection protocol" for the aircraft.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nited-n1258477
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 01:37 PM   #2
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Boeing has suspended operations for more than 100 of the 777 aircraft after an engine on a United Airlines flight from Denver caught fire and scattered debris in a Colorado neighborhood. Pert of an engine went through a roof of a house. There were no reported injuries from the falling debris.

Quote: Fifty-nine more aircraft were in storage. The company said the suspensions would remain in effect until the Federal Aviation Administration identified an "appropriate inspection protocol" for the aircraft.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nited-n1258477
I think we're overlooking the most important thing - the airframe stayed intact and they were able to make a single-engine landing.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 01:49 PM   #3
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
I think we're overlooking the most important thing - the airframe stayed intact and they were able to make a single-engine landing.

This is very true and the issue was not the air frame itself but the Pratt and Whitney engines that power this model aircraft. I saw footage where the engine was on fire, in flight. I'm thankful it didn't explode and the pilot was able to land on one engine. I also noticed the compressor blades remained relatively intact. The cowling and other pieces came off the engine. Maybe you and / or our other members would know why the engine wasn't shut off and how safe the wing tanks are in the event of an engine fire like this. I know we have members here in aviation field.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 02:29 PM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

When I visited Neal for the SubSim Meet it was a 777 I flew in.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 02:42 PM   #5
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Did you know the plane was on the way to Honolulu, HI?

I wanted to fly to Hawaii after this coronavirus thing is over, but not now ...

The next way over will have to be by cruise ship and they won't let you if it is a round trip from say the west coast to Hawaii, but with this coronavirus thing they have decided to charge you for one way to Hawaii and then for one way back.

So you can stay as long as you like or not even come back at all

Three times the cost though at $1,500 per person and double occupancy unless you get the crews quarters prices for a single person.

Haven't flown in a long time and I'm not going to ... Boeing is lucky on this one that no one was killed.

I heard two were injured though
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 03:55 PM   #6
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
This is very true and the issue was not the air frame itself but the Pratt and Whitney engines that power this model aircraft. I saw footage where the engine was on fire, in flight. I'm thankful it didn't explode and the pilot was able to land on one engine. I also noticed the compressor blades remained relatively intact. The cowling and other pieces came off the engine. Maybe you and / or our other members would know why the engine wasn't shut off and how safe the wing tanks are in the event of an engine fire like this. I know we have members here in aviation field.
I'm assuming that the fire suppression system might have been damaged, preventing full extinguishment.

Engines generally don't "explode." There may be a catastrophic blade failure where the turbine tears itself apart, sending shrapnel through the engine and mechanically separating it, but jet fuel is actually really hard to ignite, let alone explode, unless it is vapor, and I'm sure they isolated fuel to that engine. The danger would have been if the fire consumed the engine at which point it more likely could have structurally weakened the pylon and dropped the engine, like a bomb rather than catching the rest of the plane on fire - the frigid wind blowing across the engine with no fuel likely kept the engine from catching everything else on fire. I'm guessing the parts that were on fire probably contained flammables such as insulation, hydraulic fluid, or magnesium.
Old 02-22-21, 04:14 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

A dated engine, TV analysis said over here. Not the first of its kind that fell apart in midair, they said. There have been others - plural -before.
Old 02-23-21, 06:44 AM   #8
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I wanted to fly to Hawaii after this coronavirus thing is over, but not now ...

Plane crashes and emergencies make headlines. But thousands of flights take off and land every single day without incident.

Of course, no one wants to hear about business as usual.
Old 02-23-21, 08:28 AM   #9
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
A dated engine, TV analysis said over here. Not the first of its kind that fell apart in midair, they said. There have been others - plural -before.
Tv analysis isn't worth anything. Guarantee that whoever was the reporter knows little too nothing about aviation.

Engines undergo a routine series of inspections and overhauls, as does the airframe and systems.

Engine inspections typically occur every couple of thousand hours of operation. There is now an emergency inspection order issued by the FAA on PW4000 engines and I expect other civil aviation authorities have done the same.

The ridiculousness of the uninformed reporters is evident - there was a story of a 747-400F dropping parts of an engine in the Netherlands and they reported it as "Just like in Denver..."

No, it's nothing like in Denver - the 74F uses CF6, RB211, or PW4056 engines, not PW4000-112s like the 772. And as a cargo carrier, they are operating under a different set of regulations than when carrying meat...
Old 02-23-21, 10:54 AM   #10
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
Plane crashes and emergencies make headlines. But thousands of flights take off and land every single day without incident.

Of course, no one wants to hear about business as usual.
Well, there has only been one passenger plane that ever crashed on the way to Hawaii from stateside to Oahu itself ... Ran out of fuel back in the mid-fifties and landed on the water just happen to be near a cruise ship that rescued everyone not one person lost, but why take a chance when you have other options.

Just defending my fear
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 11:01 AM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
When I visited Neal for the SubSim Meet it was a 777 I flew in.
Are you taking responsibility?
Old 02-23-21, 12:25 PM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Are you taking responsibility?
No but I'm confident Steve will

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 03:50 PM   #13
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote