SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-11, 07:33 PM   #1
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

My model collection

The plastic not the digital kind.

I've taken up building models as a hobby after many years. I'm building 1/700 scale (Tiny!). So far this is my collection.

The Dragon British Type 42 DDG

The Trafalgar class SSN also from Dragon

*Gasp* no pumpjet!

The Helis that came with the kit.

Now for Mother Russia
The Oscar SSGN I think the logo on the fin is for the 'Omsk'

"Big sonofabitch!"

The Akula SSN

Now for my platform of choice the 636 Kilo class SSK

Last little item that rounds out my "Russian Submarine Shrine" that sits on my computer monitor: my Russian Sub Commander 'Phins.

I'm thinking about getting the Dragon/Cyber Hobby USS Cole vs. Russian Typhoon kit or the Kirov vs. 688. Maybe after I save some more money.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 07:35 PM   #2
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

One more photo:

All of them together. Damn the Oscar is BIG!!

its hard to tell but its bigger than the Type 42.

Also the Kilo is nearly as big as the Trafalgar, all the difference in their size is roughly the reactor compartment. Didn't realize Brit SSNs were so small!

Also the Kilo is roughly the size of the weapons spaces on the Oscar! Damn...

Old 02-21-11, 08:37 PM   #3
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89

Nice I have decided some time ago that only the biggest ones would satisfy me . Your model made me want to go back kit modeling again. I've only undertaken one major project which is a Type VIIC/41 Uboat. My next two most wanted big models would be Titanic and probably an F-16C after that a Kilo SSK. Preferably as big as they can be. But thinking about it has already made me feeling tired

I built that Virgin Mary too....kiddin. I know the plastic base is a sore to the eyes but I got them for free from a friend so I can't complain. I wanted a wooden base actually. May make it happen one of these days.

As for little models I do have one of those, I didn't build it though, it came as it is,

Last edited by Castout; 02-21-11 at 09:20 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 11:23 PM   #4
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
As for little models I do have one of those, I didn't build it though, it came as it is,

Nice. They make that in a kit you build yourself as well. But its hard to get that fine detail like that. It takes lots of time. I couldn't get the fine lines you get with a pre-assembled model painted on mine even with masking tape.

Old 02-21-11, 11:32 PM   #5
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
Nice. They make that in a kit you build yourself as well. But its hard to get that fine detail like that. It takes lots of time. I couldn't get the fine lines you get with a pre-assembled model painted on mine even with masking tape.
It came with full masts and antennas. One of the maid ripped them off while dusting and wiping the book shelves I put it on.

Btw I couldn't see any fault with the line from your pictures. I wouldn't worry about that too much. Smaller models are actually harder to get a good finish on them. You did just fine imo!
Old 02-22-11, 12:01 AM   #6
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
It came with full masts and antennas. One of the maid ripped them off while dusting and wiping the book shelves I put it on.
Yea I knocked the masts off my Trafalgar, just re-glued them.

Quote:
Btw I couldn't see any fault with the line from your pictures.
If you saw them IRL you would notice slight wavering in the lines on the Kilo and Akula. But

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about that too much.
That's my problem I'm a perfectionist.

Quote:
Smaller models are actually harder to get a good finish on them. You did just fine imo!
I agree it is real hard to finish those small models. But I like the challenge in working small, and they don't take up much space on my desk at 1/700 scale.

Plus there seems to be more submarines and ships in 1/700 scale than in other scales, you get a few at one scale and a few at another but 1/700 has the most to play with.

Just can't decide what model set to get next. I like the double kits from Cyber Hobby. Not sure to go with the 688 and Kirov or the cheaper Burke Flt 1 and Typhoon.

Old 02-22-11, 12:46 AM   #7
Castout
Silent Hunter

LOL about being a perfectionist.

Umm yeah space is a real issue too here. Though you are able to collect more types of model if you build them small there's a certain satisfaction from far larger model that you won't get from small ones.

Not only it's easier to get a good finish on them and more forgiving, they are far more detailed and make great display for the guests to wow over . Of course you won't be able to build them in numbers but you probably don't need to. For bigger models only build those that you like very much. Some kind of a sentimental object to ponder and be fascinated over a long time or the rest of your life. Something that you'll like forever. Something that gives you joy every time you look at it. To be honest smaller projects would give smaller joy to and may fade over time but if you have one or 2 or 3 really good really big ones they'll probably give you joy for the rest of your life.

Customization is another such that the model will definitely be unique if you build them, the only one in the whole world. You can only do so much on small ones.

And you tend to protect the bigger models or ones that you put much work on as well in effect preserving them to last. I've built quite a few 1:35 tanks myself and every one of them now is broken one way or another by somebody in the household by accident. Except for the one I put inside a display case. Knowing that would happen I decided to put that big Type VII in the case as soon as I could. Dust is another reason.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Castout; 02-22-11 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 01:16 AM   #8
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Umm yeah space is a real issue too here. Though you are able to collect more types of model if you build them small there's a certain satisfaction from far larger model that you won't get from small ones.

Not only it's easier to get a good finish on them and more forgiving, they are far more detailed and make great display for the guests to wow over . Of course you won't be able to build them in numbers but you probably don't need to. For bigger models only build those that you like very much. Some kind of a sentimental object to ponder and be fascinated over a long time or the rest of your life. Something that you'll like forever. Something that gives you joy every time you look at it. To be honest smaller projects would give smaller joy to and may fade over time but if you have one or 2 or 3 really good really big ones they'll probably give you joy for the rest of your life.
There are really only one or two I would like to build at a larger scale, the Kilo and the new GUPPY kit I saw for sale in Japan. But the GUPPY kit I would want only because there isn't one in 1/700 scale.

The small ones I got now do sort of have sentimentalness to me, thats why I bought them first I guess. The Kilo and Akula I have driven in DW and SC for ages, and the Type 42 because the Falklands War is a hobby of mine.

Quote:
Customization is another such that the model will definitely be unique if you build them, the only one in the whole world. You can only do so much on small ones.
I've tried to customize my models a little. Like the sonars on the Russian boats, I painted them gray so they stand out. The real boats don't really have that but I like that it makes that detail stand out on my models.

Quote:
And you tend to protect the bigger models or ones that you put much work on as well preserving them to last. I've built quite a few 1:35 tanks myself and everyone of them now is broken one way or another by somebody in the household by accident. Except for the one I put inside a display case. Knowing that would happen I decided to put that big Type VII in the case as soon as I could. Dust is another reason.
Oh there are many model I made as a kid that are now broken and long gone.

The one I really miss now was my model of the Red October.

Old 02-22-11, 03:00 AM   #9
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
There are really only one or two I would like to build at a larger scale, the Kilo and the new GUPPY kit I saw for sale in Japan.
Now build that . I found building model kit therapeutic. A practice of patience and passion.

Quote:
The small ones I got now do sort of have sentimentalness to me, thats why I bought them first I guess. The Kilo and Akula I have driven in DW and SC for ages, and the Type 42 because the Falklands War is a hobby of mine.

I've tried to customize my models a little. Like the sonars on the Russian boats, I painted them gray so they stand out. The real boats don't really have that but I like that it makes that detail stand out on my models.
Yeah me too it was Silent Hunter 3 for me lol. Still liking the submarine warfare of the second world war to this day. Watched a marathon, 5 hour episode of War of the Atlantic on National Geographic last Sunday. If you build them bigger you'll definitely going to love them even more and far more customization possible as you have far more area and objects to play with. I don't mean to advise you to stop from building the small ones but build at least one or two for them to last and to wow over as a memento of this time of day that you'll probably going to carry over into the far future or even to show your children to while you still have the time and the mental capacity to do it.

Quote:
Oh there are many model I made as a kid that are now broken and long gone.

The one I really miss now was my model of the Red October.
Yeah I know how you feel especially if they are ruined by someone else . I couldn't justify casing every one of my tank so I encase only one of them but I could justify spending some money to protect my biggest hobby kit expense and work such as the Type VIIC/41.

Last edited by Castout; 02-22-11 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 06:38 AM   #10
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

Quote:
One more photo:

All of them together. Damn the Oscar is BIG!!

its hard to tell but its bigger than the Type 42.

Also the Kilo is nearly as big as the Trafalgar, all the difference in their size is roughly the reactor compartment. Didn't realize Brit SSNs were so small!

Also the Kilo is roughly the size of the weapons spaces on the Oscar! Damn...
Very nice work, and great photo

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 03:14 PM   #11
The Third Man
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Type 42 DDG

looks too blue. Overspray with a light gull grey. more accurate.
Old 02-27-11, 03:24 PM   #12
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
Type 42 DDG

looks too blue. Overspray with a light gull grey. more accurate.
My model is really 1163 Flat Gray, the blueish is from the screen of my netbook that I used to take the photo.

BTW I just ordered the Cyberhobby USS Cole vs. Typhoon SSBN and The Hobbyboss USS Greenville. I expect to receive them next week or thereabouts.

Old 02-27-11, 03:30 PM   #13
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
My model is really 1163 Flat Gray, the blueish is from the screen of my netbook that I used to take the photo.

BTW I just ordered the Cyberhobby USS Cole vs. Typhoon SSBN and The Hobbyboss USS Greenville. I expect to receive them next week or thereabouts.
There are nice things you do TLAM,I say and my supplementary question is this, can I make an order by you
for some stuff

Marie Curie

Old 02-27-11, 03:44 PM   #14
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
There are nice things you do TLAM,I say and my supplementary question is this, can I make an order by you
for some stuff
Sure just order it and have it shipped to my house, and I'll build them. You just have to order two of whatever you want built...

Old 02-27-11, 03:47 PM   #15
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
Sure just order it and have it shipped to my house, and I'll build them. You just have to order two of whatever you want built...

Marie Curie