SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-23, 06:42 AM   #1
bratwurstdimsum
Sparky

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 4

Hi yes you are correct, let me explain. I am using the TDC in this example to check my calculations so it’s not in manual mode. The method I’ve described gives me 1023m but the ships distance according to the TDC is 2750m. So my question is does anyone know how to use this periscope to calculate the distance from just the pips on the y axis?

The convoy lights are dead ahead
The merchantmen lay in their bed
The thump of diesels hammers down
In the oily sea-the killing ground
His knuckles white his eyes alight
He slams the hatch on the deadly night
A cunning fox in the chickens lair
A hound of hell and the devil dont care

-Iron Maiden
bratwurstdimsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 07:08 AM   #2
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratwurstdimsum View Post
Hi yes you are correct, let me explain. I am using the TDC in this example to check my calculations so it’s not in manual mode. The method I’ve described gives me 1023m but the ships distance according to the TDC is 2750m. So my question is does anyone know how to use this periscope to calculate the distance from just the pips on the y axis?
Okay, understood. Sorry, I'm afraid, I'm not able to help with this one, as I don't use any of these tools myself ... seems way too tedious to me.

I merely use the namograph in the map view (F5) for speed calculation and for distance measuring the ruler, also, on the map view, that's it ... I figure, I let my Quartermaster do some of the work as well during an attack ;-)

For speed, I usually add another 1-2 knots ... the entire process is a mixture of some limited raw data, experience and pure guestimate ... seems to work okay as well :-)
Old 01-04-23, 07:21 AM   #3
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Try using the top of the stack for the red line. It seems the stack is the highest point, which I believe is what they use in this example.

Otherwise, take the mast height and divide by the ticks/mils and then take the inverse tangent (arctan) and multiply by 100. Should be close enough. Arctan is also written as "tan-1" on some calculators.

Ex:

22.5/50=0.45

0.45 arctan=24.2277 ...
24.2277*100=2422.77 => round to about 2,400m for targeting purposes using the height you provided here with the masts and not the stack. The number I got using about 60 on the mils was closer to 2,000m which is still off from what they're saying here.

Please verify for me that this works in general (in the map, for example) since I'm just going off the cuff here based on other angle stuff I've been studying.

Also, I noticed the info is for SH3. This is for KSD2 which is SH4, correct? Is there a difference? What magnification are you using (not what you think you're using, but what's in the mod).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote