SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-11, 12:51 PM   #16
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

If you are not afraid of making a trip through France (and I mean yes, you can be afraid, most of us still not speaking English), I'd tend to say the best base to visit for you would be St Nazaire.
It's the one I like least, since a part of it got completly "freshed up" (part of walls demolished, little shops created inside the bunker) but at least you can get full access to it, including the roof.

The only problem I have with this one is that it's no more the original one as it was during the war.

Other than that, don't expect to be able to visit others. The Brest bunker is a military base of some military section of the navy, Lorient bunkers are the home of some companies related to maritime construction, La Rochelle is no more accessible to the public due to risks of roof collapse rising recently, Bordeaux got closed to the public for some reason related to the protection of its inner walls (a bunch of idiots came in and got some walls graffiti-scabbed, therefore the mayor of the city decided that was enough to close it indefinitely).
But still, you can take pictures of absolutely everyone from outside of them if you like.

Have a good journey !

Last edited by Alex; 07-10-11 at 05:32 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 11:09 PM   #17
Richo
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default U Boat Pens La Spezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador.es View Post
Hi there, haven't been online for a while since I am on holiday in Ilaty. At the moment I'm about 1/1.5 hours south of La Spezia. In vada. We have quite some trips in our agenda and already done some of them.

I wonder if any of you guys can tell me anything on the pens in La Spezia. Are they still there? Is it worth a day visit? Is there a museum or anything worth paying a visit. Maybe there are so e Italians on the forum, or maybe some have visited the pens.

Aye,

Matador

Bugger, that's dissapointing, I will be in Italy end of May and will be spending 3 days in La Spezia.
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 11:27 PM   #18
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You do realize you're responding to a post made almost a year ago?
Old 05-10-12, 07:26 AM   #19
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
You do realize you're responding to a post made almost a year ago?
Its OK Steve, Sandgropers are 3 hours and 12 months behind everyone else.

JK mate. Necro threads are frowned upon here unless dug up by the OP or for a really good spamming reason.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote