SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-20, 06:06 AM   #451
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

While initially it was reported the copy in Atlanata had a clean record, it seem that in the past couple of years there had been a few complaints and problems that led to examinations, but no serious disciplinary consequences, I now read. At least his record is not that clean anymore. But its hard to judge how serious these past stories were. The language used in office files can both hide and blow up things and details, while maintainign a sterile, cold tone. I still do not follow the charges for murder. Use of excessive force or somerthing like that it should be. Murder...? Murder needs the plan, the motive, the intention to kill. C'mon on. I also think the suspect probably should have just been left to walk home, maybe getting a later charge for alcohol related offence, if that is what they found, but I think it was all harmless - until he suddenly flipped out and fired with that tazer. Sudden, super-fast escalation.

This story just went bad for everybody.
Old 06-18-20, 06:54 AM   #452
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

the problem with " let him walk home" is what happens if instead he gets into another car, gets into an accident and kills other people, then the cops would have been held liable. It is a lose-lose proposition.

Once they found out he was impaired, they had no other choice, they had to arrest him.
Old 06-18-20, 06:59 AM   #453
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Okay, that reasoning makes sense.
Old 06-18-20, 07:44 AM   #454
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
the problem with " let him walk home" is what happens if instead he gets into another car, gets into an accident and kills other people, then the cops would have been held liable. It is a lose-lose proposition.

Once they found out he was impaired, they had no other choice, they had to arrest him.
Well it's not to hard to predict the future. Well meaning and qualified people will start to see law enforcement as a career that is just not worth it. And what that means is that the less qualified and totally unsuited for a career carrying a gun, for a lack of personal, will become more prevalent and the cycle will continue.

Not sure what the answer is. Robocop maybe?

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 08:43 AM   #455
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
And you're are correct sir, aiming after a suspects legs is not as easy as I thought it was.
My former comments was based on several hours of tv-documentaries about the Danish police in education, work in the field and the latest 5 years event-where three or was it four suspect had been hit in the leg Thigh I think it was.

Markus
If it's a static situation, in good light, where the suspect is standing still and the police have a good clear shot and a wounded perp doesn't pose a threat, maybe they would try to take him down in the leg.

But when it's night, and the perp has been punching you, grabbing weapons off your belt, is running like an NFL linebacker and then turns and takes aim at you with maybe your taser, which means if he tases you he could walk right up and take your service weapon and shoot you, or maybe it's a .38 revolver you missed when you conducted a non-cooperative pat down: in this situation just shoot the fool.

There are thousands of cases where black people interact with the police every day in the US and nothing goes south because most black folks are intelligent, reasonable people. The ones we see getting shot are the knuckleheads and criminals (in most cases).

It's like the 7:45 morning subway commute. The train arrives at the designated time, people file in and take their places, the door closes and the train begins to depart the station. The guy who comes running up late and misses the train, well, he missed the train, everyone else seemed to have no problem.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 09:40 AM   #456
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post

Not necessarily, They had a choice they always have a choice. As a teenager I remember being told to poor out the contents of a bottle on the ground and find a ride home. Seems to me cops were there to keep the peace not to arrest and jail everyone.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 09:59 AM   #457
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
If it's a static situation, in good light, where the suspect is standing still and the police have a good clear shot and a wounded perp doesn't pose a threat, maybe they would try to take him down in the leg.

But when it's night, and the perp has been punching you, grabbing weapons off your belt, is running like an NFL linebacker and then turns and takes aim at you with maybe your taser, which means if he tases you he could walk right up and take your service weapon and shoot you, or maybe it's a .38 revolver you missed when you conducted a non-cooperative pat down: in this situation just shoot the fool.

There are thousands of cases where black people interact with the police every day in the US and nothing goes south because most black folks are intelligent, reasonable people. The ones we see getting shot are the knuckleheads and criminals (in most cases).

It's like the 7:45 morning subway commute. The train arrives at the designated time, people file in and take their places, the door closes and the train begins to depart the station. The guy who comes running up late and misses the train, well, he missed the train, everyone else seemed to have no problem.

Good point. The problem with leg shots are they can be lethal as well. If the femoral artery in the thigh is shot out, the individual will probably bleed out before help can arrive. It's obvious that good officers have their hands full on a daily basis. I don't envy them and or their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Well it's not to hard to predict the future. Well meaning and qualified people will start to see law enforcement as a career that is just not worth it. And what that means is that the less qualified and totally unsuited for a career carrying a gun, for a lack of personal, will become more prevalent and the cycle will continue.

I feel the same as you. It's obvious that mentally deficient people are becoming police officers and many officers regard any regulations on their actions as " politics. " Quite the contrary, for many, it's a matter of life or death.

I suspect the officers that are leaving are those that operate on the fringes of the law and don't know how to operate in a legal fashion. They feel that's it's only a matter of time before they would be charged, criminally. To them, I would say good riddance.

Other good officers that can work within the framework of the law would be well qualified to teach and train other young recruits how to do their job, properly. These training officers would be worth their weight in gold. As you said, Marcel, I'm not sure what the answer is.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 12:01 PM   #458
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

From what I understand is not that the police returned fire and hit him in the back, I think the public fully understand this.

It's these two extra shots and what happened after he had been shot 3 times.
which can give a death sentence.

According to CNN one of the police officer stood on him while dying and then something with

- I got him

I know CNN can't stand Trump, I don't know where their standpoint is when it comes to white police officer.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 12:23 PM   #459
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

You know why Mr Brooks fought the law and the law won?

Mr Brooks was on probation and a DUI would've put him back in prison.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 07:36 PM   #460
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post

I predict that things will be a lot like my parent's home country. As you said, compassionate, well-meaning citizens will no longer be interested in law enforcement (in the nation where they are from, law enforcement is not a career for respectable people).

-The remaining police will either be demoralized, only interested in keeping their heads down & collecting their pensions, OR the trigger-happy bullies that are part of the current problem.

-There will be de facto "no go" zones where there is a vacuum of authority. Especially in urban areas. (These already exist to a degree in American ghettos, but things will be worse). Living in these areas will be extremely dangerous.

-Gang leaders and/or political bosses will fill this vacuum. People's loyalty will be to these groups and to whatever races/ethnicities etc the gangs represent. Not to the nation. Somewhat like feudalism. The amusing thing about these violent protesters is, they think they can stoke racial tensions/hatred for political gain, and, then once their preferred president is elected, things will get back to normal and we'll all be happy. In reality the current problems may permanently weaken Federal authority. Whether it's Democratic/Republican/whatever.

-Lynchings and vigilante justice will be common, with the different gangs and "big men" instigating things. MULTIPLE people have been lynched in the small Caribbean town where my family is from. With the police either doing nothing or being involved. Expect this to happen in the US.

-The rich will continue to do well, thanks to private security/quasi-governmental entities. A little like what you see in Cyberpunk fiction.

Not a pretty picture, but IMO plausible.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 08:55 PM   #461
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Growing buzz about NYC cops all going on strike (call off sick) July 4. They're calling it "Independence Day"...
Old 06-19-20, 09:08 AM   #462
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Growing buzz about NYC cops all going on strike (call off sick) July 4. They're calling it "Independence Day"...

I have been thinking the same.

Will the Police across USA go into a strike/call of sick if these two police officer gets a verdict(the police from Minneapolis and Atlanta)

If so, does anyone know what will happen in your society ?
Will crime explode ?

Or are they like the police in Denmark and Sweden forbidden to strike, since they have an important task in the society ?

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-20, 09:44 AM   #463
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

As an aside, I wonder how far he could have run if he was that drunk. Drunks can fight but I don't think they can run fast for very far.
Old 06-19-20, 12:05 PM   #464
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Will the Police across USA go into a strike/call of sick if these two police officer gets a verdict(the police from Minneapolis and Atlanta)

Markus

There is no one in the United States who will come down with the blue flu for the officer from Minneapolis.
Old 06-19-20, 12:12 PM   #465
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
There is no one in the United States who will come down with the blue flu for the officer from Minneapolis.

I agree. But the Atlanta officer, that's a whole nother story. Can you imagine if all the cops in NYC stay home, and the antifa and BLM agitators organize a mass riot? Take over the city?

Tags
police, riots