SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-19, 03:49 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Eat meat. Or not. Do like you want. That simple.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49877237

This new study takes a vigorous look at the statistics behind claims that "red meat signficiantly increases cancer". It illustrates what I beleive sinc elong, that nutrition studies are very difficult to run and that the vast, the very vast majority of health claims concluded form "new studies" is due to improper, poor and sometimes even statistcially invalid methodology. In the end, you almost never have a nutrition study proving any causal link between cause and effect, you only have reports that explain an observation of things that were observaed simultaneously - not knowing whether they are causally linked or not.And control of interfering variables? Almost never present. Often even impossible to do even if there would be a desire for it.

Few things however are not in doubt. Refined sugar and corn syrup for example are beyond doubt regarding their health hazard level. With salt, fat, oil, carbonhydrates, of various kind, protein, it already gets problematic again. I do not listen to any "new study" on it anymore.

That politcs and ideology, world views and the demand to eat so to do somethign good for ecology/other countries/Gaia, drive strong own interests and dress them as health claims and better food claims, doe snot help, of course. Like with climate, the UN gremia seem to be heavily guilty of this abuse again.

I know an ecotrophologist from university times. she is good in business, but totally pissed, and since two years or longer talked of abandining the job. She is 52 like I am, and now has done so. She said she was sick and tired of the crappy study situation in her branch. Granted, her material situation is such that she can afford to stop her former profession, still she makes me wondering: how many are out there continuing to sell crappy theory and advise just because they need to do so to have an income for themselves?
Old 10-01-19, 05:43 AM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Always ate red meat, especially lamb, and at 67 I'm not gonna stop!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 05:46 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

"You planet killer...!"
Old 10-01-19, 05:51 AM   #4
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

You dont need bacon, just rub some avacado paste on your knees!
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 05:55 AM   #5
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

FACT WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE.....So just enjoy life.

I eat very little meat as I am more of a fish eater but the price of fresh fish is now out my price range, tin tuna is no real substitute for fresh fish.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 06:17 AM   #6
captainadccdacaptain
Gunner

Downloads: 49

I find EVERY excuse to grill meat, in every season. STEED makes a great point: Why spend your life trying to prolong it when you can simply ENJOY it?
captainadccdacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 07:25 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
FACT WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE.....So just enjoy life.

I eat very little meat as I am more of a fish eater but the price of fresh fish is now out my price range, tin tuna is no real substitute for fresh fish.
Tin tuna is not tin tuna, they are not all of the same quality and taste. I just discovered Saupiquet. I looked down on them for years, due to their luxurious prices, but then tried some of theirs, and now have tested all their stuff. Some of it is a rip-off, cheap vegetable and almost no tuna, but some other stuff is extremely nice. Two of their three pasta sauces/oils work miracle and wonder, two of their six "salads" I also like to have, on a bike tour for a break for example. Two of their three bread spreads have displaced my occasional use of tea sausage or liver sausage. The ordinary tuna tin cans by them I would not use, however, they are overpriced, and as said: some of their products are rip-offs, also are not good. But the items that I like by them, I like very much, and thus I pay the price for these. Needs some discovering mentality.

Frozen tuna from the fridge works well, too, and can be had at reasonable prices. i use it far more often for BBQ or in the pan than I prepare a beef steak these days, its cheaper, but has a tough bite.