Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-30-20, 10:56 AM   #211
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

@ Eichhörnchen...

Found this NPR (National Public Radio, a US non-commercial public network) program on butterflies and the way the see and other curiosities:

Butterflies Have Hearts In Their Wings. You'll Never Guess Where They Have Eyes -

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/24/89517...they-have-eyes

The first bit of info about a place where they have eyes gives a whole new meaning t the phrase "Why are you looking at me that way..."...

<O>
Old 08-04-20, 03:04 PM   #212
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Thanks, vienna... I almost missed that

Although the tiny haemolymph pumps have been known about for many years, this business about them having photo-receptors in their arses is fascinating news (some people could probably do with those when they visit the can)

Butterflies and moths do often have to place their eggs with enormous precision, and since they can't turn their heads this is the perfect solution. I wonder whether they'll find these receptors in othe insects now
Old 08-07-20, 02:56 PM   #213
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Clouded Yellow

This is not my photo but one borrowed from elsewhere. I saw one of these for the first time in my life today, in the meadow behind the church.
Unfortunately (and no surprise at all) the camera refused to co-operate and I got no pictures. I'll be going back to look for him, though. Moira insisted on going back with me later but there was no sign of him

It's a migrant butterfly... a 'blow in' from the Continent... so you're only likely to see one if you live in East Anglia, as I do, and even then only by chance
Old 08-07-20, 03:38 PM   #214
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

related toColias eurytheme It is orangier; found throughout North America from southern Canada to Mexico. The shape of the eyedots is remarkably similar.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-20, 02:35 AM   #215
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Yes it looks the same... although if it were then I'd expect the scientific name to be the same for both countries, whatever the common label. There are a number of different Clouded Yellows in Europe (Berger's, Moorland and Pale) but our plain Clouded Yellow (Colias croceus) does seem to be identical to your Alfalfa Butterfly. Having said all that, there are further variations seen within Colias croceus... with some having large orange spots across the black areas, and others being a much lighter, striking lemon yellow colour
Old 08-29-20, 08:21 AM   #216
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

On monday (24th) I paid a final visit to my favourite spot on what might turn out to be the last really hot day of the year. Still no sign of the Clouded Yellow butterfly, just this one Small Copper... and a now faded and tattered Commom Blue

The worrying scarcity of butterflies of all kinds this year caused me to reflect on one of the reasons why some of our most beautiful species went extinct in the past... and this is it:

Our Victorian forebears gathered differences in markings with the same zeal as modern-day diecast bus collectors; they had an overpowering need to possess as many variations of the same thing as they possibly could, no matter how small the differences. So much so that they often paid small boys to go out and net specimens in their hundreds, which ultimately drove down the numbers of butterflies such as the Large Blue (shown here) and the Large Copper to extinction levels
Old 08-29-20, 10:11 AM   #217
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

^ When was king!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-20, 12:04 PM   #218
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
^ When was king!
Oh, god. That gave me a headache that lasted for a day. I was thoroughly stumped.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-20, 12:30 AM   #219
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Saw this thread in the "New Posts" and remembered I took these over the past couple weeks (I haven't identified them yet):

Old 08-30-20, 12:55 PM   #220
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks for posting these... I'd love to get out there and take some moth photos, but I think I said before that I'd need to set up something that would lure them into the garden, rather than rely on random finds... I haven't had the luck you've had so far

Again these aren't in my books; the clear winged moth looks rather like our Wainscot Moth, or maybe even a Ghost Moth, but unlike this one those two have fluffy bodies

As for the big one... that's quite spectacular and would certainly be well-known if he were resident here... I've never seen anything quite like it! This photo is a good illustration of camouflage: if he were on a silver birch tree then he'd be very hard to spot
Old 08-31-20, 01:12 AM   #221
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
As for the big one... that's quite spectacular and would certainly be well-known if he were resident here... I've never seen anything quite like it! This photo is a good illustration of camouflage: if he were on a silver birch tree then he'd be very hard to spot

It was actually flopping around on some concrete under a very bright light. I picked it up and tried to move it away from the light as carefully as I could ... but it looks like I tore his wing a little.

There's a Buddhist parable about this, but I don't want to bore you.
Old 08-31-20, 08:14 AM   #222
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Are you and the moths okay? I've got a nephew lives in Staunton and there was a tornado or something due through there over the weekend...
Old 09-01-20, 01:19 AM   #223
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Everything's fine here. It's been a little stormy lately, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Well, we did have to have our cat put down a few days ago. And some ******* idiot backed into my brand new truck in a parking lot. And, well ... other things. But it could always be worse.
Old 09-02-20, 05:15 PM   #224
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I'm most sorry about the cat. I won't have any more as it was too hard seeing the life go out of their eyes
Old 09-02-20, 06:29 PM   #225
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Thank you. My wife says the same.

I want another one ... eventually. But nothing will ever take the place of our girls.