SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-08, 08:09 PM   #166
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default Alternative slide rule

Here's the alternative sliderule that schnorchel wanted. It's at my filefront. Look for U-jagd_alternatve_sliderod.7z.

It's a DIY installation. You must make three edits to the menu file yourself.

Gute Jagd

joe

"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 08:48 PM   #167
ejhawk56
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman
Here's the alternative sliderule that schnorchel wanted. It's at my filefront. Look for U-jagd_alternatve_sliderod.7z.

Gute Jagd

joe

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with the alternative. Looking forward to trying both.

Also, thanks for all the great documentation you provided in your latest releases. Really makes a nice package.

Eric
ejhawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-08, 09:14 PM   #168
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Thanks!
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
Old 01-21-08, 09:19 PM   #169
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Default British Sabotage Detected!

Achtung!

British Intelligence Agents have infiltrated the Kriegsmarine Press and have sabotaged key documents in order to mislead new kaleuns.

We have found this sabotage and are now hunting the agents responsible.

Fortunately intelligent and experienced Kaleuns will not have been fooled by the sabotaged references in the manual titled Passive Sonar Approach using Sliderules and ISWAS. In this text all original references to the target presenting a Backbord (Port) AOB were switched to say Starboard.

This childish sabotage attempt does not bode well for the Britischers if that represents the best they can do!

Gute Jagd!
Old 01-23-08, 08:55 AM   #170
Kumando
Commodore

Downloads: 283

I have some questions Joe, first im using GWX 2.0 and testing the mod in the torpedoes training mission to take the stationary tramp steamer i cant read in the Zielkurswinkel because its not numbered in the left half so i cant take the AOB number the other question is how do we shoot targets at 1.5x Zoom?
Kumando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 10:13 AM   #171
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

For stationary targets, AOB isn't relevant. Only range and bearing, but I guess that's not your point.

The AOB should always be on the right side. If it isn't then you have a badly wrong range estimate, or else you have the scope on the wrong magnification, or finally you have the wrong magnification for the tool. For example, if you are using the GWX version, this is set for a high power magnification of 10x.

Some mods will change the GWX magnfiication back to x6. Sergbuto's free camera mod, forexample. If this is so, then the settings are no longer correct. Do you have other mods which affect the magnification of the scopes?

As to your final point, again you need to know what you scope magnfication settings are.

If you have stock then it is x1.5/x6 if GWX it is x1.5/x10 on the attack scope.

The tool is always calibrated for the scope on high power. If you wish to use it on low power, you must multiply the measured length of the target to scale it to high power. So for stock, youmust multiply the measured length by 4, if for GWX by 6.6

This multiplication can be done with the AOB finder, as described in the manual. It takes just a second.

Gute Jagd

Joe
Old 01-24-08, 10:46 AM   #172
Storabrun
Loader

AOB will not be messed up if you use the wrong magnification setting, either by ingame choice or camera settings. The AOB calculation is basically to compare:

1. Known relation between real height and real length of target. (nothing short of torpedoes can change this relation)

2. Relation between observed height and observed length of target, which is also unaffected by magnification.

Range will be wrong if some other magnification is used and no correction for that is made, but not AOB as long as everything else is done correctly.
Storabrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 07:00 PM   #173
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

I'm afraid this is not correct, because the method you mention is not actually how the wheel does it, although the effect is the same (the manual is misleading in this respect, but i only actually learned how it works when i built the new version from scratch, rather than using templates). In order to make wheels for GWX and stock i've had to make three different wheels. If you use the wrong one, you get the wrong answer.

However, in the appendix of the manual, there is a section which shows how to correct for using low magnification. You use the AOB finder to do it and the process takes less time than it does to type into a digital calculator, because as we all know sliderules operate by the power of black magic...
Old 01-24-08, 07:06 PM   #174
schnorchel
Soundman

Downloads: 99

Quote:

Gute Jagd

joe

Hi Joe,

Great work! I will try to sink more ships by this new tool.
schnorchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 07:40 PM   #175
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Quote:
I'm afraid this is not correct, because the method you mention is not actually how the wheel does it, although the effect is the same (the manual is misleading in this respect, but i only actually learned how it works when i built the new version from scratch, rather than using templates). In order to make wheels for GWX and stock i've had to make three different wheels. If you use the wrong one, you get the wrong answer.
:hmm: I can't understand that to be honest. The Zielkurswinkelrad (the "no arms" side of the tool) works just like a regular circular slide rule, based on logarithmical calculations. If you skip the "marks" scale and stick to degrees, speeds and distance, it has to work like any other instance of similar slide rule. In the above example the mark scale is not used at all, as it's the proportions that are taken into consideration, not number of marks, so... why it shouldn't work?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still not accustomed to these tools, using your manual as one of sources of reference (really good job, I think the manual is the best part of your mod + Zielkurswinkelrad in the periscope view).

EDIT: I've been trying to write a comprehensive opinion about your mod for a few days, but still some other things distract me - like playing with your mod that I really enjoy much. But I have a major problem with it and I can't find a solution. Screenshot follows:

The same with "yellow range scale". I've checked the files - yellowrangescale.tga and optischelange.tga are where they should be, files are not corrupted. It can have a connection with my very low spec. PC, and in fact I had similar problems with other files, like bearing overlay. But I don't have them anymore now BUT with these two.

Any ideas?:hmm:
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to

Last edited by Abd_von_Mumit; 01-24-08 at 07:54 PM.
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 07:59 PM   #176
Storabrun
Loader

Quote:
Unless your wheels function in some way fundamentally different from the one in OLC GUI I'm correct and you are wrong

I'm not saying that it was a waste of time to make different wheels, because you get the range wrong if it's not scaled to the magnification. But the AOB will always be correct if your measurements and handling is correct.

The thing is that the range is NOT important if you just want AOB.

1. You measure range by aligning observed marks with 90
2. Read range at mast height (or double mast height in OLC GUI)
3. Turn range to real length of target.
4. Read AOB at the observed ship length (or half ship length in OLC GUI)

The thing is that in part 3 it doesn't matter if the range is correct or not if all you want is the AOB. What you really do is turn the wheel from mast height (on outer scale) to ship length (on outer scale). Both of those values are independent of magification and therefore you always turn that wheel an set number of degrees for a specific target.
Storabrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 10:19 PM   #177
donw
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 25

Joe
Just want to make sure I have this right...as there are so many versions now...its a bit fuzzy for me.

If I want to run this on a stock SH3 1.4b patched game...I need U-jagd1.3.1.7z ..right?
...do I also need U-jagd1.3.1patch.7z ??

Thanks!
donw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 12:00 AM   #178
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

@donw

you don't need the patch. the patch simply converts 1.3 to 1.3.1

Otherwise you are correct.

@Storabrun and Abd_von_mumit

Quote:
Unless your wheels function in some way fundamentally different from the one in OLC GUI I'm correct and you are wrong
So there you go! I guess that's unlikely as I made them both, is it not? That said, I retract my previous assertion completely and now affirm the opposite!

Anyway, the difference between the different available disks is about the number of marks that represent 1 degree in the differing magnifications. As i tend to use the in-game rangefinder it still makes a difference to me which scale i use.

Anyway thanks for the sliderule update

@Abd_von_Mumit

There are clearly issues you have with alpha channels. Strange that the alpha channels on the rest of the AOB finder work OK.

You can comment out the yellow range scale completely, or just rename the image or something, and the same for the optische lange scale, but then you'll have to use the original periscope markings for measuring and that means the measurement will have to be done while the AOB finder is not in use.

Apart from that, i can only suggest maybe there was a download failure or else as Mikayl says could be other backgorund programs

Sorry i can't help more with this particular problem

joe
Old 01-25-08, 04:12 AM   #179
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Thanks for replies.

No, I run nothing in the background, and I mean it - I use FS Autostart to exit all possible programmes and processes (otherwise my game wouldn't launch or would CTD often). It's probably low spec. problem. Will report to you if I find the solution.

Thanks!
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 08:10 AM   #180
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Hi Abd_von_mumit

While I cannot solve the problem, I can provide a work around for you that ought to yield a satisfactory result. Actually i can think of two work arounds.

Firstly, if this goes wrong, you may well have to reinstall the mod, OK?

Workaround 1. The better version.

AIM: To integrate the optische lange and AOB finder graphics into one graphic image.

You need to have an image editor capable of handling tga's, such as photoshop or the freeware program Gimp.

Using the image editor merge the two files, zikuwibasisrad.tga and optischelange.tga

You should use layers and also screenshots to make sure you align the two files exactly correctly.

If you need detailed instructions about how to do this, I can provide it by PM.

Then go into the menu file. Look for the optische lange entry and comment it out using ; like this:

;Name=Optische Lange
;Type=1031;Stat bmp array
;ItemID=0x26030016
;ParentID=0x26030010
;Pos=49,-124,533,206;93,-185,415,160
;Color=0xFFFFFFFF
;Materials=1
;Display=0;no stretch
;Mat 0=data/menu/U-jagd/optischelange.tga
;Crop 0=0,0,1,1
;MatFlags=0x29
;BmpState=0
;NeedFocus=true
;SelOne=false
;IDGroup=0
;StatesColors=0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF

Now comment out the Rangescaleyellow entry in the same way.

If this doesn't work, then try approach 2

Workaround 2:

AIM: to eliminate the troublesome tga's and move the AOB finder to allow the use of the original scope markings.

Comment out the two tga's as mentioned above.

Now look for this entry at the top of the zikuwi section:

Name=ZiKuWiRad
Type=1026;Menu Group
ItemID=0x26030010
ParentID=0x260E0000
Pos=-742,60,627,627
Color=0xFFFFFFFF

We wish to make more room for seeing the original markings, so change the Pos line to read:

Pos=-757,75,627,627

If you are not satisfied with this adjustment (I haven't actually tried it), try giving a different set of numbers for the first two numbers of the Pos entry.

Good luck

Joe