SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-24, 06:48 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Got an idea to a new air related game

While watching Viasat History about WWII I suddenly came up with this idea-It's a non-violent game.

The Idea is taken from this event in UK's WWII period

https://bentleypriorymuseum.org.uk/b...-october-1940/

The idea behind it-Is that you use radar and other equipment to detect German bomber and fighter plane and give the take-off order to the correct air base, before they reach their primary targets.

You also move pieces on a map(Like a CIC board)
A wooden stick is being used to push or withdraw number plates(I don't know their correct name) Secondly you have to name them with information.

The game start on 10th of July and ends on 31th Oct. as in real history.

What do you say-Would it be something to play ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-24, 02:42 PM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

It was historically accurate and required the player to correctly interpret the signals, it might be interesting.

However, it wouldn't be entertaining and therefore not profitable.
Old 02-06-24, 03:32 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The very first Battle for Britain flight sim I think had something like that between the flight stages. 12 years ago? 15? Longer? My memory may fail me, I was not close with that title anyway.

For more modern eras, there is Command by Matrix games.

And there was an app by John Tiller games (Modern Air Power) that simulated air operation form an air controller's perspective, but it lacked depth and variety and missions and seems to not have been succesful. The PC version however saw one mission pack for the ME. I think Harpoon and Command do these things better, however, the Android app was what I checked, and it did not impress me.
Old 02-06-24, 05:31 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for your input.

Didn't know that it has been done before without any success.
I'm even thinking on how it would look like in VR-Where you as officer stand and look at the map on the table with all these wooden pieces with small paper on them where information is written.

I have Command modern operation

It has been a while since I played it last time.

Markus

Old 02-07-24, 11:47 AM   #5
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

As Sky said, Rowan's Battle of Britain around 2000 had something similar. You'd get notifications of approaching formations

"100+ over Ostend"

You had the squadron panel that would light up for readiness and so forth, Then you assigned fighter command squadrons to patrol or intercept. It was all quite tactical, as you had limited resources and plenty of targets. How do you manage to give squadrons rest and refit, whilst still protecting shipping in the Channel and meeting every raid? A juggling act to be sure.

And of course in that sim you could then jump in to one of the aircraft and gives the naughty Germans the good news in person.

I like the idea in concept. And I'd probably be keen to give it a go. Whether it could be a commercial success is a different question I reckon.
Old 02-07-24, 01:20 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
As Sky said, Rowan's Battle of Britain around 2000 had something similar. You'd get notifications of approaching formations

"100+ over Ostend"

You had the squadron panel that would light up for readiness and so forth, Then you assigned fighter command squadrons to patrol or intercept. It was all quite tactical, as you had limited resources and plenty of targets. How do you manage to give squadrons rest and refit, whilst still protecting shipping in the Channel and meeting every raid? A juggling act to be sure.

And of course in that sim you could then jump in to one of the aircraft and gives the naughty Germans the good news in person.

I like the idea in concept. And I'd probably be keen to give it a go. Whether it could be a commercial success is a different question I reckon.
Thank you for your answer.

As you already may know by now-It will be first person game and in my game you stay in the bunker all the time-You have to rely on your radar and incoming messages from observes. Historical accurate with exact number of fighter plane and same type of radar as they had then a.s.o.

Markus

Old 02-07-24, 07:16 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Thank you for your input.

Didn't know that it has been done before without any success.
I'm even thinking on how it would look like in VR-Where you as officer stand and look at the map on the table with all these wooden pieces with small paper on them where information is written.
Once you got your VR headset check out "UBoat The Silent Wolf". Not air war, but it may suit your desires and taste.
Old 02-08-24, 06:34 AM   #8
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

Mapuc, I like your idea. Sounds similar to “Radio Commander” where the player as commanders gives orders remotely to soldiers on the ground in Vietnam.

Also the player in Rowans Battle of Britain’s had a RAF campaign where the goal like Air Chief Marshal Dowding’s was counter the Luftwaffe. In the game Inbound contacts appeared realtime on the 2D map based on radar and visual contacts. The player decides to launch which squadrons to intercept, and may choose to jump into 3D flight .
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote