SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-20, 07:59 AM   #1561
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Civilization is a very thin layer of paint only, barely covering the true nature of man underneath. Said already Sigmund Freud.

In two or three years from now on, maybe we will have started to realise that shifting of before oh so preicous bogus priorities in assessing what life is or should be about, though I am a bit sceptical on that.

On a positive sidenote, this desaster also has caused som good things. No more Greta on TV. No more Friday for Future fools yelling stupid slogans in the streets.

Wir werden alle wieder mal eingenordet. Was about time.
Old 03-20-20, 08:26 AM   #1562
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Coronavirus: Social distancing needs to be in place for most of a year, say government advisers

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...isers-11960920
If people do not adjust then we may as well drop the bomb now and get it over with. Yes that is very extreme but after two weeks of madness and no sign of a let up makes me wonder.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 08:56 AM   #1563
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

On a positive sidenote, this desaster also has caused som good things. No more Greta on TV. No more Friday for Future fools yelling stupid slogans in the streets.

Wir werden alle wieder mal eingenordet. Was about time.
...and a lot less pollution! Giving Mother Nature a little brake
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 09:47 AM   #1564
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Social distancing would be needed for "at least half of the year" to stop intensive care units being overwhelmed, according to the government's scientific advisers.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51977802

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 09:57 AM   #1565
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

A thought

Experts and people in general say we are heading towards an economical meltdown when this pandemic is over.

An all over the world meltdown in the economy-makes me wonder
Edit
And food shortage - as some of you have mentioned.
End edit

How near will we be a huge war-Not a world war, but a war between several countries ?
(I can't get it right-this question)

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 03-20-20 at 10:17 AM.
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 11:16 AM   #1566
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ i guess China and Russia will take their chances, maybe not with an all-out open war. But let's not forget that they already try to undermine their felt competitors by this hidden cyberwar. Yes, the US also does it.. as all the others.

As your Einstein said, "I do not know how world war three will be fought, but the fourth will be fought with stones and clubs".
If anyone tries to do that, "humanity" has not deserved better. Instead of cooperation and building together they all run back in their holes and build up their national military. Totally crazy.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 12:01 PM   #1567
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ i guess China and Russia will take their chances, maybe not with an all-out open war. But let's not forget that they already try to undermine their felt competitors by this hidden cyberwar. Yes, the US also does it.. as all the others.

As your Einstein said, "I do not know how world war three will be fought, but the fourth will be fought with stones and clubs".
If anyone tries to do that, "humanity" has not deserved better. Instead of cooperation and building together they all run back in their holes and build up their national military. Totally crazy.
Was it yesterday or day before yesterday, where one of our news program had an issue about the situation between Syria and Iraq.
If these reporters are right then we are on the brink of ful scale war between these two countries(this of course is an another discussion in another thread)

Then there is the situation between Greece and Turkey.

I was more wondering if we, us here in the industrial world are, due to what's await us is heading towards war ?
I hope not.

Markus
Old 03-20-20, 12:02 PM   #1568
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
A thought

Experts and people in general say we are heading towards an economical meltdown when this pandemic is over.

An all over the world meltdown in the economy-makes me wonder
Edit
And food shortage - as some of you have mentioned.
End edit

How near will we be a huge war-Not a world war, but a war between several countries ?
(I can't get it right-this question)

Markus
We lived until here aleady ion a post-war era, where wars that were fought,m were not tradtionally and openly fouht anymore, but by proxies, and hidden means.

Mind you, this virus most liely is achinese bio-weapon that escaped from the laboratory of the Chinese military. Currenty, in face of the calamities ahead, it doe snot even matter whetehre the relase was accidnetla, cirminalo, or intentional. Poihnt is to see this: China can endure and digest the lsosses easier than all tohers, and it enjoys huge materila and prestige profits and merciessly poushes intot he many oipen holes and gaps now opeing int hwe West'S defence and ridiculous dependecy. For China, all this will have in the end and when being seen relative more a positive than negative total balance. The West will be financially most exposed. Businesses will be smokign ruins. Social structuires in civil societies will be shakledn,and will turn criticla even mrtoe due to the widneign gap b etwene haves and have-nots as a result of thios desaster.

China is the winner in all this. It ha slosses, yes. The difference is: it cna cointro,a nd digest them easier than the opther scan digest theirs.

China already uses the opporuntity to widen its deep drives into Europe, by now using the opportunity to launch a symoathy offensive and sending "free" help. There will be prices for said help later on - polticlöa costs. Beachead ins Euroope for Chiense inflouence taking. Chances for Chinese takeover of businesses.

All this is why I earlier said I give it 5-15% probability that this indeed was an inetntional act of war, a Chinese first strike attack. And I refuse to rule this out completely. It is supicious how many advantages they gain from all this, in a time when a Trumpian America mounted pressure on them.

I do n ot say it is this way, an attack. I only say I give it a certain probability, beside the probability of it all having been an accident (not the first one in their bio labs).

I see them in the obligaiton to now send aid and deliver desperately needed medica goods and items. They are the cause of all this mess. I do not see the need to allow thme making a propoapüabgnda show at Itlaian airports of it, or to be oh so thankful for the rescuers that before have kicked us all into the abyss. Chiona never was to be trusted, and we should never have helped it to rise, to become strong and technologically competent. But we did, for shortsighted stupid reasons and naive dreams. And now we are where we are. Enjoy.

I am talking about the state and the political actor and entity that China is, not about the individual Chinese indvidual that I may meet. The individual must be seen - individually. Even if that is a concept that China finds hard to wrap its totalitarian mind around.
Old 03-20-20, 12:32 PM   #1569
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Coronavirus: PM orders pubs, restaurants and gyms to close across the UK

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...he-uk-11961064
I am not surprised.

Still to little to late.

STAND BY BOOZE WILL NOW BE STRIPPED OFF THE SHELF'S.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-20-20, 12:42 PM   #1570
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

First comment to Skybird's reply to me.

Could there be a change in balance of power, after a economical meltdown ?
Where this balance tip over to the east ?

What would happen if USA is downgrading from being the 1 super power to a second/third place and Europe is downgrading and are will only be a group of European countries ?

If China takes over the European interests in Africa and the Middle East(yes they have been doing this for years now-slowly taking more and more of the European interest in Africa)
What will Europe do ?

Back to this corona and the death toll.

Some of my friends on FB mentioned the different between this Corona and our ordinary Flu. They said, as I have before, people get killed from Flu too.

So I ask them a question which they can't give an exact answer to. It's only the Italian health authorities who can.

From the start when the first Italian got this Corona and until now, about 4000 have died from this virus- which mean from 31 of January and until now 20 of March)
So did there die as many per month when their flu season was at highest or most deadly in modern time as it have now the last two month with this Corona virus.

Edit
Made a search and found this page.

Quote:
We estimated excess deaths of 7,027, 20,259, 15,801 and 24,981 attributable to influenza epidemics in the 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17, respectively, using the Goldstein index. The average annual mortality excess rate per 100,000 ranged from 11.6 to 41.2 with most of the influenza-associated deaths per year registered among the elderly.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01971219303285

End Edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 03-20-20 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-20-20, 12:57 PM   #1571
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
All this is why I earlier said I give it 5-15% probability that this indeed was an inetntional act of war, a Chinese first strike attack. And I refuse to rule this out completely. It is supicious how many advantages they gain from all this, in a time when a Trumpian America mounted pressure on them.
And why would they start that in their own country so that everybody knows where it comes from?

If what you say was the case, why not infect other countries easily since many people are asymptomatic? For example, want to damage the US, infect Mexico. With this illness it's as easy liberating the virus in sprayed form by some agents in any crowded place and in Mexico there are thousands. Everybody would blame Mexico instead of China and the US would be infected in less than a week.

Conspiracy theories are never to be discarded, but this one seems to have a weak base.

That said, we MUST make China pay for this later, this is unacceptable the second time in 10 years and third in 60 that we get this from them.
Old 03-20-20, 01:17 PM   #1572
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Preliminary studies in China suggest that blood group is a factor in how the COVID-19 affects population.

"A" seems to be the most affected, with increased risk of complications and need for extra care.

"0" is the less affected by the virus.

Source: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.20031096v1
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Too much speculation BS and lies going around, yes this maybe fact but what is needed is confirmed 100% fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Well it's a medical paper showing plain numbers, i.e. facts translated into stats. The % of A-blood group people affected in hospital with COVID-19 is objectively higher than that in the population and the opposite happens with the 0-group people. This also seems to happen in the case of pancreatic cancer, A & B blood group people are statistically more affected (Up to 70% more likely). I know because my father in law died from that cancer and was A , we were told about that research back then and you can find it in scientific papers. Then in turn 0-blood group people are more sensitive to other diseases, of course. Given the number of infected people in Wuhan, the study has enough cases to be significant and not mere coincidence.

It is a statistic fact then, now it's up to the scientists to find the cause and see if it opens another door to help combating the disease.
Remember also that type 'A' is the most common type of blood with 'O' being the most rare type of blood so of course Covid-19 would affect type'A' more than it would'O' type blood.

My father was type 'O' and my mother was type 'A' and I am type 'A' go figure
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 01:28 PM   #1573
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Remember also that type 'A' is the most common type of blood with 'O' being the most rare type of blood so of course Covid-19 would affect type'A' more than it would'O' type blood.

My father was type 'O' and my mother was type 'A' and I am type 'A' go figure
Am I reading that wrong?

O, Common

A and B next not sure of the order

AB, rare.

And that is without the plus and minors in the mix.

EDIT

Just looked it up on the NHS site..

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-groups/

Last edited by STEED; 03-20-20 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-20-20, 01:32 PM   #1574
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Have the scumbags been stealing hand sanitiser & bog rolls from hospital toilets in countries other than the UK?
Old 03-20-20, 01:40 PM   #1575
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Have the scumbags been stealing hand sanitiser & bog rolls from hospital toilets in countries other than the UK?
Is that true Eich?

If so time for Marshal Law.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan