SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-20, 04:50 PM   #3106
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I consume Vit-D in winter mo nths since years, also moderate doses of Vit-C when I feel i may have catched a cold. A whole lot of people in the Northern hemisphere can be safely assumed to be Vit-D deficient, especially in Winter. Dark skinned people more so than brighter skinned. Or take the use of sun lotions and sun blockers, they too are a handicap for Vit-D production. Myself, I formed a sunlight allergy last year, very nasty I have to say, the itching nearly killed me. I now wear an ugly boonie hat with wide brim whenever I leave the house ( I am bald-headed), also wear a long-sleeved shirt with high UV protection over my T-Shirt, like an open jacket, even at high temperatures, and I have LSF 50 sun blocker in use on my neck, hands, and face. The latter will become real fun this year, regarding the masks.

Smeary mess ahead, I fear. I sweat easily and a lot. Sun blocker, sweat, and on top of that a mask. Great. And a hygienics nightmare.
Old 04-22-20, 05:57 PM   #3107
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Adding a link to my last comment

Quote:
Early data of the Covid-19 crisis, broken down by race, is alarming. In the US, in Chicago, as of early April 2020, 72% of people who died of coronavirus were black, although only one-third of the city’s population is. In Georgia, as of 17 April, white people accounted for 40% of Covid-19 cases where race was reported, although they represent 58% of the state. In the UK, of the first 2,249 patients with confirmed Covid-19, 35% were non-white. This is much higher than the proportion of non-white people in England and Wales – 14%, according to the most recent census.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...ore-vulnerable

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 08:48 PM   #3108
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Got curious and did a little research about Los Angeles County...

...a lesson in scale and perspective:

Total 2019 LA County Flu Deaths ....................77

Total 2019 LA County Homicides ....................513

Total 2020 LA County Covid-19 Deaths ...........729

Note the totals for the flu and homicide deaths reflect a 12 month period...

... the Covid-19 deaths reflect the months of Feb, Mar, and Apr 2019...

its only a flu. bro....

<O>
Old 04-22-20, 09:46 PM   #3109
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Got curious and did a little research about Los Angeles County...

...a lesson in scale and perspective:

Total 2019 LA County Flu Deaths ....................77

Total 2019 LA County Homicides ....................513

Total 2020 LA County Covid-19 Deaths ...........729

Note the totals for the flu and homicide deaths reflect a 12 month period...

... the Covid-19 deaths reflect the months of Feb, Mar, and Apr 2019...

its only a flu. bro....

<O>

Would you consider this virus is a plague of sorts?

Did you see the run on food and basic supplies in March and April?

Did you feel the 3.8 earthquake in LA yesterday?

Did you know it has been reported that people are starving in Syria and North Korea with a run on food, but no food is to be found?

Would you call that a modern day famine?

Can you project a better future than the one we have now?

You know where I am going with this so I will stop and wait just like you ...

I hope the future gets better I really do
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 12:09 AM   #3110
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Would you consider this virus is a plague of sorts?

Did you see the run on food and basic supplies in March and April?

Did you feel the 3.8 earthquake in LA yesterday?

Did you know it has been reported that people are starving in Syria and North Korea with a run on food, but no food is to be found?

Would you call that a modern day famine?

Can you project a better future than the one we have now?

You know where I am going with this so I will stop and wait just like you ...

I hope the future gets better I really do

Sounds like some one has been binge watching those televangelists and their "end of time" rantings...

Here in CA, we call a 3.8 a small nudge, so we don't sweat it at all; as for the rest, it all sounds bleak, but worse has happened before and we do get through it; history has shown that those who are presented with solvable problems and who act proactively to solve those problems get through a whole lot faster; those who wait for some sort of "prophecy" to play out tend to fare rather less well...

I'm sure things will get better... when we have leaders and people who effectively tackle the problems...

Denying the severity of a problem or saying it is some sort of "will" neither tackles nor solves the problems...

How does that go?... something about 'helping those who help themselves..."?...

You know where I am going with this...

The basic, provable fact is this is no "flu" and those who are trying to brush it off as such are either blind or ignorant of the facts. So far, the science has been right, the politics has been wrong, and actual action has proven to mitigate the disease; I trust the opinions of trained medical officials who have actual first hand knowledge and experience, not quack TV 'medical experts' or bloviating 'leaders' with their own agendas separate from the science; I did note today that the TV doctor, Dr. Oz has publicly reversed course on his opinions when it was found a purported "magic bullet", "game changer" cure was found to quite possibly even more deadly than the disease after more Vets in one area died using the drug than those who didn't:

Dr. Oz Backpedals on COVID-19 ‘Miracle’ Drug: ‘We Don’t Know’ if It Works --

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dr-oz-...ow-if-it-works

There has been a lot of reckless tossing about of unproven, half-baked, medical "cures" or "treatments", a sort of modern day snake oil hustle and they should be treated with the same disregard as spam mail, particularly when lives are a stake. I do give Dr. Oz a couple of points for being adult enough to admit as publicly, as he did his former support, that he was wrong and that the degree of knowledge about the efficacy of such treatments does not warrant their wide spread use at this time...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 04-23-20 at 11:04 AM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 06:22 AM   #3111
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Dr Hans Kluge has urged European governments to prioritise testing for staff and residents of care homes.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been addressing lawmakers in Berlin
Mrs Merkel says Germany is ready to make "significantly higher" contributions to the EU budget.

It comes as EU leaders are expected to sign off on a rescue package for countries hardest-hit by the crisis.

China reports no new Covid-19 deaths for the eighth day in a row.

There were 10 new cases reported, and imported cases also fell.

Big Night In - a star-studded BBC fundraising telethon - takes place from 19:00 BST in the UK on Thursday.

Australia calls on G20 nations to ban wet wildlife markets over public health concerns.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 06:34 AM   #3112
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Latin America update

Peru is going to release about 3,000 prisoners who are most at risk of contracting coronavirus. The justice minister said pregnant inmates, those with children and those 70 and older would be among those given an amnesty.

Confirmed cases of coronavirus in Mexico have passed the 10,000 mark. Mexico's president says he will increase spending on social programmes and infrastructure projects by more than $25.6bn (£20.7bn) with the economy expected to contract by as much as 10% this year.

In Uruguay, hundreds of primary schools have reopened after staying closed for five weeks. But it is up to parents to decide whether they want to send their children back to school.

Old 04-23-20, 06:41 AM   #3113
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Europe update

Germany's Angela Merkel has said the government is prepared to make "significantly higher" contributions to the EU budget. The extra money will help the 27-member bloc respond to the coronavirus pandemic, among others.

EU leaders meet via video from 13:00 GMT on Thursday and are set to sign off a €540bn (£470bn; $575bn) emergency fund to protect European workers, businesses and those countries worst hit by the outbreak.

Bosnia-Herzegovina is one of the few countries that has stopped children going outside, Now its top court says measures restricting freedom of movement for children and pensioners are unconstitutional. Authorities have five days to lift them.

Spain has seen a slight rise in fatalities - 440 in the past 24 hours - bringing the national toll to 22,157. Another 4,635 infection cases have been reported.

Belgium has reported another 230 deaths in the past 24 hours, mostly in care homes. The number of people in intensive care has fallen below 1,000

Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin has begun working from home because an employee at her official residence came into contact with someone who had coronavirus . Ms Marin, 34, has a two-year-old daughter and has no symptoms herself.

Turkey has begun a four-day lockdown across 31 provinces. Some stores and workers are exempt from the curfew.

Old 04-23-20, 10:37 AM   #3114
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-23-20, 10:53 AM   #3115
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Health Secretary Matt Hancock will give UK government briefing at 17:00 BST

WHO reveals 'deeply concerning' estimate that half of European Covid-19 deaths occurred in care homes.

US unemployment claims hit 26.4 million - more than 15% of the workforce.

US House to vote on $484bn (£390bn) stimulus package, with funds for small businesses and virus testing.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel warns crisis 'still just at the beginning'

Merkel says Germany is ready to make "significantly higher" contributions to the EU budget.

Old 04-23-20, 01:23 PM   #3116
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-23-20, 02:51 PM   #3117
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

A new US study, currently in peer review, puts a number on the question of how long the virus lives in fine aerosols that are being simply breathed out. 16 hours, they showed in the lab. Even if it is a laboratory situation with a controlled environment, this should not be dismissed easily. Especially when combining it with earlier results from other studies showing that fine aerosols from breathing stay floating in the sky for minutes and hours.

You do not want to walk unprotected through the jetstream of the person before you. Position yourself not just behind but also to the side and in accordance with the wind, I say.
Old 04-23-20, 02:58 PM   #3118
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You do not want to walk unprotected through the jetstream of the person before you. Position yourself not just behind but also to the side and in accordance with the wind, I say.
I learned that long ago due to body odor!
Old 04-23-20, 03:12 PM   #3119
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

So far 856000 have been infected by Corona in USA and so far 47000 have died from this Covid-19 or indirectly from Covid-19.

This give, if I have done it right a percentage approx 5.5 %

This is high number, the real numbers of infected must be a lot higher if this death ratio shall be lower than 3.3 %

Edit I toke a look at Denmark and Sweden.

The percentage in Denmark is 4.9 %
(Infected 8073, Death 394)

In Sweden the death percentage is 12 %.
(Infected 16755, Death 2021)
End edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 04-23-20 at 04:10 PM.
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 04:01 PM   #3120
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

https://www.mediterranee-infection.c...-Magagnoli.pdf

Response to Magagnoli, MedRxiv, 2020Matthieu MILLION1,2, Yanis ROUSSEL1,2, Didier RAOULT1,21IHU-Méditerranée Infection, Marseille, France2Aix Marseille Univ, IRD, AP-HM, MEPHI, Marseille, FranceIn the current period, it seems that passion dominates rigorous and balanced scientific analysis and may lead to scientific misconduct. The article by Magagnoli et al. (Magagnoli, 2020) is an absolutely spectacular example of this. Indeed, in this work, it is concluded, in the end, that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) would double the mortality in patients with COVID with a fatality rate of 28% (versus 11% in the NoHCQ group), which is extraordinarily hard to believe. The analysis of the data shows two major biases, which show a wellingto be convinced before starting the work : The first is that lymphopenia is twice as common in the HCQ groups (25% in the HCQ, 31% in the HCQ+AZ group versus 14% in the no HCQ group, p =.02) and there is an absolute correlation between lymphopenia(<0.5G/L) and fatality rate, which is well known (Tan, 2020) and confirmed here : 28% deaths, 22%and 11% in the HCQ, HCQ+AZ and No HCQgroup, respectively. Lymphopenia is the most obvious criterion of patient severity (in our cohort, lymphocytes in dead individuals(n=22, mean ± standard deviation, 0.94 ± 0.45), versus in the living (n=2405, 1.79 ± 0.84, p < .0001)). As the authors acknowledge, the severity of the patients in the different groups was very different, and their analysis can only make sense if there is a selection of patients with the same degree of severity, i.e. the same percentage of lymphopenia. The second major bias is that in an attempt to provide meaningful data, by eliminating the initial severity at the time of treatment, two tables are shown: one table where drugs are prescribed before intubation, and which shows no significant difference in the 3 different groups (9/90 (10%) in the HCQ group, 11/101 (10. 9%) HCQ+AZ, and 15/177 (8.5%) in the group without HCQ, chi-square = 0.47, ddl = 2, p = 0.79), and one table, where it is not clear when the drugs were prescribed, where there are significant differences. These differences are most likely related to the fact that the patients had been intubated for some before receiving hydroxychloroquine in desperation. It is notable that this is unreasonable at the time of the cytokine storm, as it is unlikely that hydrochloroquine alone would be able to control patients at this stage of the disease.Moreover, incomprehensibly, the untreatedgroup actually received azithromycin in 30% of cases, without this group being analyzedin any distinct way. Azithromycin is also a proposed treatment for COVID(Gautret, 2020)with in vitroefficacy (Andreani, 2020), and to mix it with patients who are supposedly untreated is something that is closer to scientific fraud than reasonable analysis. Altogether these 3 voluntary biases are all pushing to the idea of dangerosity of hydroxychloroquine safest drug as reported on nearly 1 million people (Lane, 2020). All in all, this is a work that shows that, in this period, it is possible to propose things that do not stand up to any methodological analysis to try to demonstrate that one is right.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan