SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: How do you deal with the Alt-Tab / CO2 issue?
I Alt-Tab and never have problems. 2 10.53%
I Alt-Tab and sometimes have it, but it's not a serious problem. 3 15.79%
I Alt-Tab and often get it, it is a significant problem. 0 0%
I avoid Alt-Tabing because of this problem. 2 10.53%
I don't know, because I don't Alt-Tab. 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-13, 09:33 PM   #31
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
I logged the CO2 buildup last night.
0800: Dawn, dive to periscope depth, ahead 1/3.
1300: (5 hours) CO2 icon starts flashing. CO2 at 10%.
CO2 builds up 2%/hour.
2000: Dusk, surfaced, CO2 at 24%. 12 hours total time submerged. Battery at 76%.

I guess it was the flashing CO2 icon that got me spooked. CO2 becomes lethal if the percentage gets above 3%, so interpretation using a 100% scale is a might confusing. Will hydrogen gas bleeding out of the batteries also cause problems?
That sounds about right. I know this conversation got a little side-tracked about how long you can stay submerged vs the refusal of the bug to acknowledge that you had actually surfaced: which is what I assume is going on - a bit like the reverse situation when my Gallant Crew insists on staying on the bridge at 20 fathoms. (Only spotted that for the first time yesterday when I decided that to deny myself the pleasure of actually seeing all the brilliant graphics work that has gone into this game was taking the obsession for realism a touch too far. I won't use it for 'cheating', but while I'm creeping up on a target with nothing better to do, why not watch my boat ghost through the sea-grass?)

As far as your question about the operation of the 'Canary Gauge' is concerned, as Safety Officer, I should know this, but have never actually looked into it. I had assumed that it was calibrated to 100% equals 50% fatality rate (the usual measure of 'lethality'). So, I would think that the 3% concentration level that you mention is, indeed, the 100% point on the scale (after all, not much point showing the equivalent of 5 or 10% CO2 concentration, as it goes without saying THERE WOULD BE NO-ONE AROUND TO READ IT!

I've had a couple of confined space issues. Once when an arrogant Chief PO ordered a BIG Tongan welder down into a pit to clean it with no breathing or recovery tackle - it had been full of acid-based paint-stripper fumes, so, naturally, he collapsed. He wanted to order four more of his ilk down there (can you imagine trying to get one of those 300 pound warriors out of a hole in the ground?). They were going to do it too, until another CPO, who, thank the Powers, happened to be passing, intervened. I've never seen a screaming match like that, but eventually the idiot backed down and allowed the rescue team to do their thing with proper gear. Only one bloke in hospital for a week with respiratory and acid-burn issues, instead of 3 or 4 dead. Lucky. But, I've only had one encounter with CO/CO2

I was an idiot. Or, more kindly, ignorant of how quickly things can go wrong. It was winter in Sydney and we had no serious heating in the apartment. We naturally had all the ports & hatches fast-tight. We had a tiny Japanese Hibachi B-B-Q. We'd done some teppanyaki and gone to bed. I'd decided to just leave it to burn in the dining room for warmth. A couple of hours later, I woke with a splitting headache, like I'd never experienced before. I tried to wake my wife but couldn't get anything sensible out of her - she was in trouble, too. In my stupor, I was having great trouble working out what was going on.

Luckily, I fairly quickly figured out that it was the B-B-Q, so opened everything, and put the thing out on the balcony. It took us an hour or so to recover. I have no idea what concentration we reached (I still find it incredible that a couple of hands full of B-B-Q heat beads could generate enough to fill a two-bedroom apartment sufficiently to give us such a scare), but it certainly gave me a whole new respect for the Silent But Deadly class of Confined Space risks!

Gryff
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 07:05 AM   #32
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

On the same subject, once again, a long way from the sea. On my arctic training in Norway, there were four of us in a snowhole and outside a blizzard was raging. We were using a liquid-fuel double burner to cook with that gave off a lot of heat, and we'd closed up the entrance to the snowhole, leaving the usual ventilation hole, with a ski pole through it to keep it clear.

Suddenly the burner went out, then the candles did too. someone struck a match to relight it, but the sulphur fizzled away and then went out as well. After three more attempts, I think the same thought occurred to all of us at once "We have no air!!!", and it's scary to think that it took so long given that we all know what makes fire work and how to stop it.

As far as the actual bug goes, when I see it I just save and reload, which fixes it. I've noticed a similar thing with the Silent running command which may well have the same underlying cause - anyway the command is acknowledged but not executed, which has got me in trouble in the past, but the save and reload fix works there too.
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 09:20 PM   #33
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_vino_vomitus View Post
On the same subject, once again, a long way from the sea. On my arctic training in Norway, there were four of us in a snowhole and outside a blizzard was raging. We were using a liquid-fuel double burner to cook with that gave off a lot of heat, and we'd closed up the entrance to the snowhole, leaving the usual ventilation hole, with a ski pole through it to keep it clear.

Suddenly the burner went out, then the candles did too. someone struck a match to relight it, but the sulphur fizzled away and then went out as well. After three more attempts, I think the same thought occurred to all of us at once "We have no air!!!", and it's scary to think that it took so long given that we all know what makes fire work and how to stop it.
Makes your heart race, doesn't it? Great story - thanks.

Gryff
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alt-tab, co2, poll