SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: SSN-774 Virginia to replace 688i Improved LA in DW?
Yes 93 61.59%
No 58 38.41%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-06, 08:41 AM   #16
DAB
Lieutenant

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
Which is completely against the EULA and the express request of Jamie not to add new playable units. I won't have anything to do with that. Also is Aaken has mannaged to make new playables without sacrificing an existing one, and the only way to do it is by hacking the exe and dlls, he is breaking the law and the trust of SCS.

Yes it was done with SCX, which SCS didn't realise what was going on till it was done. At that time we didn't realise we were doing something we shouldn't have been doing. That is why for DW Jamie expressley forbade us from modding beyond alterations to the database, doctrines and models.

You might moan that since SCS haven't released a package with new playables that it is OK and inevitable for other groups to make them. I disagree. SCS's business plan, flawed as it maybe, required them to make an addon pack should sales of DW suffice. That they havn't doesn't make it ok to go off and do it yourself.
From my understanding, the verbal permission we have been given is actually genuious from a legal point of view. Some publishers are so opposed to mods, there have been soundings in various quarters about punitive measures against people who expand games off their own backs.

Anyways

When you say we have the consent of SCS to mod the database, what exactly are the limits of that modding. I was wondering whether it would be possible to make a playable Polish / Iranian / Algerian Kilo. Its not exactly creating a new playable, but I wonder whether its what SCS had in mind?
Old 12-01-06, 09:27 AM   #17
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Using just database modding you can make another playable unit, but at the expense of an existing one. That SCS have no problem with. You would still have the sacrificed units weapons loadouts etc...

To change those you have to hack the EXE and DLLs which is a big no no.
Old 12-08-06, 07:42 PM   #18
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Hey XabbaRus. How goes the conversion?

Last edited by LoBlo; 12-09-06 at 07:25 AM.
LoBlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 03:37 AM   #19
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

It's not. No time.

Aaken is doing something similar with quite a few subs. He clarified that he is using the sacrifice one playable for another one method. I wish him good luck.

I just hope SCS do release an addon pack at some point.
Old 12-09-06, 09:11 AM   #20
aaken
Planesman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 1

Yes, I have some 9-10 possible packets with swapped units, Type206A, Type209, Type212A, Agosta90B, Sauro, Toti, Victoria, F100, Maestrale, Mimbelli, Victor3, Lada, Typhoon, and a few others that I don't remember now.

The big question is:
is SCS ever going to release an add-on packet with new units?
Old 12-09-06, 10:01 AM   #21
I am Back
Watch

Downloads: 0

I heard that the Virginias are made to keep the 2 Nuclear Submarine Shipyards Contractors Busy doing something.
I am Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 12:06 PM   #22
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaken
The big question is:
is SCS ever going to release an add-on packet with new units?
Probably not anytime soon... as in not in the next few years anyway.
Old 12-12-06, 12:37 AM   #23
Cpt. Stewker
Planesman

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Back
I heard that the Virginias are made to keep the 2 Nuclear Submarine Shipyards Contractors Busy doing something.
I am sure that they are being kept busy but... obviously... that is not the reason why they are being made...

The virginias are designed to fill a multi-role position. In this day in age, with no other super power threatening the United States (for the most part, the 1st world countries get along well enough anymore, at least no one has their finger over the nuke button), the need for a new submarine with new roles has arrived.

Last edited by Cpt. Stewker; 12-12-06 at 11:09 AM.
Cpt. Stewker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-06, 09:48 AM   #24
ASW Jedi
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingjockey
I would have no problems helping with any technical info. I would love to see the 688 go away....

STS1 Michael Granito
USS Texas SSN-775
Aww cmon Granito....The Jeff City was good to you don't hate on the 688's now you got your fancy VA!

STG2(SW/SS) Bierly USNR
USS Pogy (SSN-647)
USS Jefferson City (SSN-759_
USS Momsen (DDG-92)
ASW Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 11:18 AM   #25
Eagle1_Division
Bosun

Downloads: 15
Couldn't u sacrifice one of the kilo's instead? there are two... or was it three kilos, the only difference is a chinese accent... so get rid of the russian one!

Really though, replacing the game's no.1 sub does not sound to great, by my 'hacking' ive added a DeltaIV(bc of good model detail, not Typhoon or Ohio) with kilo sonor stations and 688I Weapon control, and 688I weapons.

You could just do this with a kilo, and ive fixed the annoying 688I voice,*no offense to whoever made that recording*and I love the 688I...
Eagle1_Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 05:10 PM   #26
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Well I guess I'm in the minorty here but I kinda don't want the 688(i) to go away. Bye Bye any cold war scenerios. (rember Bill's fantasic Red Storm Rising campgain- there was no Va class boats or even Seawolfs in RSR!)

As for replacing one of the Kilos !! All three classes of Kilo are very diffrent boats.

Maybe tack on the Va class to the 688(i) roster? and have a switcher util to change between pure 688(i) interface and the Hybrid SW-688(i) interface? Heck if anything replace the Seawolf.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 10:26 PM   #27
Eagle1_Division
Bosun

Downloads: 15
Actually, I was being sort-of dumb when I made that comment, I have 9 different mods+the original(all but 1 I made ) so i have +9 folders, 1 of them (the one thats activated)is named "database" and the others are named, ex. "database Ohio" "database Delta IV" "database Original" ect., so the very same thing could be done with that... mabye you can make the whole mod accept playable virginia, save it, copy it, and edit the copy to include the virginia, so 1 vers. has it to replace 688I, other just has it as AI. Simple... sorta .

-and don't 4get to add an AI 688I if the playable is removed
Eagle1_Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 07:56 AM   #28
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

But even though the VA is the new kid on the block there are still more SWs than VAs in operation and will be for the next few years. And heck the VA really doesn't change the gameplay for a player much. Its core configurations mimick the LA (weapons, armament, speed) with the difference being a sensor upgrade and engine quieting. The SW is sufficiently different a boat to give the player a different feel in terms of speed, diving, armament, etc.

Honestly, I've been playing a VA style sub for a while (I just modified the LA stats to upgrade it to VA quality to simulate its sound and sensor levels) with the only thing lacking being the aesthetics of a 3D model.

How about just adding the sub as a AI platform in the USN inventory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
Well I guess I'm in the minorty here but I kinda don't want the 688(i) to go away. Bye Bye any cold war scenerios. (rember Bill's fantasic Red Storm Rising campgain- there was no Va class boats or even Seawolfs in RSR!)

As for replacing one of the Kilos !! All three classes of Kilo are very diffrent boats.

Maybe tack on the Va class to the 688(i) roster? and have a switcher util to change between pure 688(i) interface and the Hybrid SW-688(i) interface? Heck if anything replace the Seawolf.

Last edited by LoBlo; 01-13-07 at 11:36 AM.
LoBlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 04:55 PM   #29
GrayOwl
Soundman

It is necessary to think.... :hmm:

Last edited by GrayOwl; 01-13-07 at 05:32 PM.
GrayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 05:29 PM   #30
GrayOwl
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBlo
Very easily if to know as