SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-09, 10:59 AM   #1
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5
Default LWAMI 3.09-3.10 bug advisory---SOLVED

EDIT: The trigger compatibility issue that follows below has been fixed. There will not be a compatibility issue from 3.10 onwards.

--------------------------------

OK guys, I have some good news and bad news.

The good news is, the release of LWAMI 3.10 is imminent. And it's got a lot of new platforms and doctrines, and DB improvements that will hopefully make this the most complete DW experience we've had yet.

The bad news is the reason it's been delayed. There is a error in the indexing system that began in 3.09. The effect of this error is that triggers which specify particular platforms to complete a trigger have had their platform switched. The effect of this is that some missions written for stock DW and earlier mod versions will have some non-functioning triggers in 3.09 and 3.10. I've held up the release of 3.10 to try to fix this, but after playing with the object numbers, class numbers, and entity numbers, the problem persists. The unfortunate truth is that this issue has TLAM, LW, OneShot and I stumped. If anyone out there has any ideas (other than moving object/classes/entities around to make sure no new o/c/e's appear inside groups of stock o/c/e's and are all added in the back) we would be very happy to hear them.

But, short of getting help, it's time to bite the bullet and move forward. I hope the impact of this indexing error will be minimal, but in any case, the LWAMI project has always prided ourselves on reverse-compatibility, so we will treat this as a serious issue. I will personally take responsibility for mitigating the effects. So, I'm going to do two things: (1) Create and publish a list of any missions effected--PLEASE inform me if you become aware of any such missions. I'll coordinate with Bill and Oneshot to make sure the appropriate notices are displayed whereever these missions are available so users downloading them will know what versions they work with. (2) With the mission designers' permission, I will personally edit and re-release any effected missions to be compatible with LWAMI 3.09 and 3.10.

I don't think this is something most users will even notice, but just the same, it's important to make sure the product works like it's supposed to. Thanks for your support.

Last edited by Molon Labe; 04-07-10 at 03:05 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 12:50 PM   #2
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0

Thanks for all the work you guys are doing ! I wasn't even expecting a new LWAMI release !
Take your time. There's no rush. The sim isn't going anywhere and I'm sure that all of us subsimmers would like LWAMI to be the best that it can be ! Editing the missions for compatability is going above and beyond anything I've ever seen a modder do ! Usually it's just. "Here's the mod. Such and such isn't compatable. Good luck with that." Editing things to make them compatable can be quite a task and I'm really greatful that you're willing to go that extra mile. Your work is appreciated !

Perhaps you could collect the "fixed" missions into a single zip file that can be downloaded and put into DW with JGME along with the new LWAMI, overwriting what's already in the scenario folder. Then just update that zipped folder as new "fixed" missions become ready. Or maybe set up a "Mega-Missions Pack" or something like that.
Old 09-02-09, 01:47 PM   #3
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
Editing the missions for compatability is going above and beyond anything I've ever seen a modder do ! Usually it's just. "Here's the mod. Such and such isn't compatable. Good luck with that." Editing things to make them compatable can be quite a task and I'm really greatful that you're willing to go that extra mile. Your work is appreciated !
Thanks. I don't really think it's that big of a deal, it's just a few fields that need to be changed. It's a small bit of effort I can make to try to make this right. One way or another, the error is probably my fault so it's my responsibility to deal with. Luftwolf takes reverse compatibility seriously and I don't want to tarnish his legacy with a noob mistake.

Quote:
Perhaps you could collect the "fixed" missions into a single zip file that can be downloaded and put into DW with JGME along with the new LWAMI, overwriting what's already in the scenario folder. Then just update that zipped folder as new "fixed" missions become ready. Or maybe set up a "Mega-Missions Pack" or something like that.
That's a pretty good idea, putting all the corrections in a single pack. I don't want to overwrite the old ones though--people may still want to play the same missions with stock DW.
Old 09-02-09, 02:47 PM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
That's a pretty good idea, putting all the corrections in a single pack. I don't want to overwrite the old ones though--people may still want to play the same missions with stock DW.
Why not simply include them in 3-10? If the mod is enabled via JGSME, you play LWAMI and you get the correct missions. If you wanna play stock DW, fire up JGSME, disable LWAMI -and the fixed missions- and play again normally with the stock game.
Old 09-02-09, 03:14 PM   #5
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Why not simply include them in 3-10? If the mod is enabled via JGSME, you play LWAMI and you get the correct missions. If you wanna play stock DW, fire up JGSME, disable LWAMI -and the fixed missions- and play again normally with the stock game.
We could do that. But, the "list" will probably grow from week to week or month to month. So we'd have to re-release the mod every so often, I think. I'll ask OneShot about it. In any case, it wouldn't be too much trouble to have a single downloadable zip that is constantly being updated. The first line of the Mission Description will have version notes so people scrolling through missions will know right away which one they're browsing.
Old 09-02-09, 04:39 PM   #6
Tarrasque
Lieutenant

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
So we'd have to re-release the mod every so often, I think.
Perhaps I'm being dumb but couldn't you just release the missions separately and just get the user to stick them in the relevant folder - much as (for example) Operation Monsun for SH4 has done with its hotfix.
Tarrasque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 07:13 PM   #7
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrasque View Post
Perhaps I'm being dumb but couldn't you just release the missions separately and just get the user to stick them in the relevant folder - much as (for example) Operation Monsun for SH4 has done with its hotfix.
Yes exactly.
No need to release the missions with the mod, just update them and put a readme file telling to put the missions in the mods/lwami3.10/scenario folder.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 01:11 AM   #8
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Isn't a problem ... just need to make sure that the folder structure is right. Separate release it will be ...
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 06:51 AM   #9
dd149
Soundman

Downloads: 183
Default Mod status?

Any news about possible relase timeline of 3.10, or are you waiting to have a deeper look on DW RA before? Thanks for the efforts in any case.
dd149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 07:06 AM   #10
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

The last time I talked to ML about this his PC had just gone into electronic nirvana, at that time he was hoping to have access to his data (and thus the Mod) within a few days. Haven't heard from him since (that was about 2 weeks ago).
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 07:46 AM   #11
caymanlee
Medic

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot View Post
The last time I talked to ML about this his PC had just gone into electronic nirvana, at that time he was hoping to have access to his data (and thus the Mod) within a few days. Haven't heard from him since (that was about 2 weeks ago).
"nirvana"?! that's real bad news
hope ML can get his data back. heard TLAMstrike said that a lot of new model in 3.10, can't wait to see that
caymanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 10:20 AM   #12
dd149
Soundman

Thanks for the news OneShot. Another interesting mod to play with soon hopefully. Cheeers to ML for that and hope he can retrieve data.
Old 10-19-09, 06:58 AM   #13
dd149
Soundman

Hey guys, it seems RA is not going to publish the new installment before some time (based on previous experiences with due dates). there is a window of opportunity opening for Lwami 3.10, will you try to seize it? Hope Molon got his files back...
Old 01-31-10, 02:51 AM   #14
Sag75
XO

Downloads: 45

any news about 3.10 version ?

Thanks!

Betasom - XI Gruppo Sommergibili Atlantici
http://www.betasom.it/forum/index.php
Sag75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 01:40 PM   #15
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sag75 View Post
any news about 3.10 version ?

Thanks!
ML is back to work after a break. But it looks like we are going to have to abandon the backwards compatablity to prevous versons. So any old missions will need a once over in the editor to make compatable. But on the plus side expect a lot of cool new platforms in the new verson.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote