SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-11, 12:49 AM   #1
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default manual targeting with Kiub

I have got the fast 90 down. But that gets boring.

I want to use manual targeting. I leave map contacts activated. The targets ship silouettes (and I use the word loosely) are tiny, very tiny, black dots. I calculate speed with the ruler and not the Kiub dial. I calculate Aob and range with the Kiub dial. It does not appear that the TDC adjusts range after it has been activated. I have fired and missed both fore and aft of targets. What are the best angles to fire? Between 15 and 345 degrees? Does the TDC adjust the lead angle based upon the speed of the torpedoes? It does not appear that it does not per a visual check of the Attack Map. What is going on?

I note that if you set speed, range and Aob and wish to reenter updated range and Aob, you have to deactivate and reactivate the TDC. That cancels the earlier Aob and range entries I believe. Is there away around this? If you only wish to change Aob for example, why should you have to reenter Aob if it unchanged?

Hypo: Target at a bearing of 30 degrees. Aob 60 degrees, range 2,000 yds, and speed 7 kts. I enter the data in the TDC and activate it. I lock the target in the scope. When the Aob is dial shows 90 degrees I fire a salvo with a spread. If the data is correct I should hit the target. I think.

Any other related suggestions or comments are welcome.

If I cannot master this, the mod is going to have a short shelf live for this skipper.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 11:54 AM   #2
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

AOB should not change that much when updating range, especially on long shots. Simple to merely update the AOB while updating the range.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 03:32 PM   #3
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default wilcke

BTW, the target ID shows the target's length in meters and height in feet. Because the dial in Kiub is in meters, you have to convert the height to meters. That seems very, very strange. I toggle from the game to a site that does it automatically, and then toggle back to the game. It is unnecessary.
Old 04-02-11, 09:29 PM   #4
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345

@ im going down,
Sorry if I ignored your question you posted in our thread about this. I just have no info I could share about the subject.
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 01:01 PM   #5
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
@ im going down,
Sorry if I ignored your question you posted in our thread about this. I just have no info I could share about the subject.

I had you thinking about it regardless. ()
Old 04-03-11, 09:12 PM   #6
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345

yeah,
i for one don't use manual targeting. i'm not good at math and it doesn't cope with me using and adjusting formulas. but there is fixes to some of it if its off. i think theres a mod called jps_ship_diminsions i think thats what its call that centers the readings you get and the ship dems are acurate. the mods are out there though.
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 01:28 AM   #7
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
yeah,
i for one don't use manual targeting. i'm not good at math and it doesn't cope with me using and adjusting formulas. but there is fixes to some of it if its off.
I just nailed my second consecutive target using manual targeting. I used the Kiub dial to set both targets up. There is no math involved. However, the Kiub tutorial is tough to follow. It should be rewritten and a video tutorial would help as well. I found that becoming familiar with the dial in the Kiub mod, when you move from American subs, is not a piece of cake, and setting Aob is counter intuitive.

Also, since ships and aircraft are represented by small dots if map contacts are enabled, I activated a mod that restores the original SH4 icons which turn into dots when the view is zoomed. It is more enjoyable to see the original ship icons rather than black dots moving about the screen.

Don't let the math issue scare you, because it is a non issue. Just study the Kiub tutorial diligently. There is a feeling of achievement when you calculate speed, Aob and range using the Kiub dial and end up hitting/sinking a target.

A little more practice and I will be ready to take on a warship.

A little more practice and I will be ready for a warship.

My issues are with the target identification manual, which lists each ship's depth and mast heights in feet. They should be listed in meters, as that is how the Kiub dial and dail for setting torpedoe depth are set up. I pause the game, go online to a website that converts units of measurement, and convert feet to meters to determine the correct mast height so I can input it on the Kiub dial. I convert the depth for setting torpedoes in my head, and guesstimate. Have to go online to convert mast height to metters is an extra step that is a pain in the butt. It should not be necessary.

The other issue is that once I lock a target in the scope, I cannot read its identification because it appears below the HUD. Thus, I cannot click on the identification of the target to automatically open the target manual to obtain its mast height, length and keel depth. That may be caused by my screen settings. I get around this particular issue by unlocking the HUD once I have requested the target's identification. This way I can read the ship type and open the target manual when the HUD drops away. It is an extra step that is a pain in the butt.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 04-04-11 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-04-11, 02:51 PM   #8
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default third target sunk

I think I have mastered manual targeting.

Third target: I set range and Aob reading at 6,900 yds/32 degrees Aob left per the Kiub dial. I fired with the Aob +/-76 degrees left (per the ship's dial)/ bearing 17 degrees/range 2200 yds. I fired a 4 degree, two torpedoe spread. The first missed aft and second hit right below the target's stack at its stern and blew it up. I decided to try firing at other than a 90 degree angle to test the accuracy of the Kiub dials, and see if I could hit a target without firing a 4 shot spread. It worked. The key is familiarity with the Kiub dial.

Karamazovnew advises that I should not be seeing mast heights or ship depths in feet, so I may have to delete the Omegu English mod, as it may be creating that problem.
Old 04-05-11, 01:00 AM   #9
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

The target id manual lists mast height in ship depth in feet if you check the "imperial" setting in the graphics display at the beginning of a campaign. That was the problem. I failed to check "metric" setting.