SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-04-10, 08:13 PM   #301
General Tso
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Fred, I just wanted to thank you for all of the great radio stuff and to ask a question. Do you work for a company that makes hard drives? Because of you my Radio folder is 51 GB.
General Tso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 10:01 AM   #302
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Tso View Post
Fred, I just wanted to thank you for all of the great radio stuff and to ask a question. Do you work for a company that makes hard drives? Because of you my Radio folder is 51 GB.
I wish I did. I'm in need of a TB or 2 drive myself now.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 05:37 PM   #303
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Just downloaded the AFRS files, all worked just the AFRS file: AFRS.part13.rar
says: Ivalid or deleted file.
I don't know if this is a mediafire problem or the file is really deleted.
Reupload would be appreciated.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 09:31 AM   #304
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo Otto View Post
Just downloaded the AFRS files, all worked just the AFRS file: AFRS.part13.rar
says: Ivalid or deleted file.
I don't know if this is a mediafire problem or the file is really deleted.
Reupload would be appreciated.
Done. Must've been some glitch on their end that deleted it without removing the link.
Old 12-09-10, 11:17 AM   #305
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
Done. Must've been some glitch on their end that deleted it without removing the link.
Thank you. Go back to Download right now.

Btw still have 290GB free HD space, so you could make some more Radiostations, if you want to.
Not that you think i'm greedy. Noooooooooooo way.

I really appreciate the oustanding work you did.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 03:01 PM   #306
Arael
Planesman

Downloads: 94

Have you ever thought about torrenting the radio files? You'd be able to set up entire stations for download all at once.
Arael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 09:27 AM   #307
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arael View Post
Have you ever thought about torrenting the radio files? You'd be able to set up entire stations for download all at once.
That's been asked and answered several times. Read through the thread to see why I don't think that would work.
Old 01-11-11, 11:46 AM   #308
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Thanks to Neal giving me some more space, I've uploaded the following files to the Downloads section here:

British Music
French Music
George Formby Songs
Hawaiian Music
Japanese Koto Music
More Japanese Music
Josephine Baker Songs
Russian Music
KGMB Honolulu radio station
Old 01-11-11, 06:26 PM   #309
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

OMG!!! I just got the 1940 songs file. You got taste, sir. Best music around, and very climatic to the navy, the war, the men, and the captain. You just raised the bar a mile notch. Respect, Kudos, and all thanks to this beautiful music. I even got some on my mp3 layer, so I can get the atmosphere all the time. Again, thank you for this hard work.
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 01:17 PM   #310
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

I am planning on D/L some of this, but I'm limited for HD space. I have a question. What broadcasts/stations did the boats actually pick up at sea? Any or all of the listed? If I could choose only two stations, which would be the most accurate/historical that the boats would have listned to? I wish I could have them all!
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 01:22 PM   #311
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
I am planning on D/L some of this, but I'm limited for HD space. I have a question. What broadcasts/stations did the boats actually pick up at sea? Any or all of the listed? If I could choose only two stations, which would be the most accurate/historical that the boats would have listned to? I wish I could have them all!
KPO San Francisco had a shortwave transmitter, and could be heard as far as Manila. NHK Radio Tokyo also had a shortwave broadcast that could be picked up on the U.S. West Coast. KGMB Honolulu could certainly be heard around Hawaii, though I don't know what the actual historical range was. KNX, while it didn't have shortwave, did have a very powerful transmitter that allowed it to sometimes be picked up across the Pacific when atmospheric conditions were right. KHJ was only chosen because I had listings for it, so I don't know its actual range either. It definitely didn't have shortwave though. The remaining stations are fictional, so you can ignore them if need be.

So in answer to your question, historically KPO and NHK could definitely have been heard, KNX on occasion.

Honestly though, if you're limited in space I would suggest not worrying about historical accuracy and just go with the ones that fit your available space better.
Old 01-17-11, 12:41 PM   #312
Fish40
The Old Man

Thanks for the info Fred. I decided to d/l the KPO and NHK stations, and some music to go with it. I do have a question though. I am d/l all the parts to one folder. Do I just need to extract the first part to the RS folder in the game and all the parts will automaticly follow? Sorry for the basic questions, and for comeing so late to the game. Thanks again.
Old 01-18-11, 09:12 AM   #313
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
Thanks for the info Fred. I decided to d/l the KPO and NHK stations, and some music to go with it. I do have a question though. I am d/l all the parts to one folder. Do I just need to extract the first part to the RS folder in the game and all the parts will automaticly follow? Sorry for the basic questions, and for comeing so late to the game. Thanks again.
Yeah, just open the first one and all the others will be extracted automatically.
Old 01-20-11, 01:32 PM   #314
Fish40
The Old Man

Fred, I have a question. I'm planning on useing the Radio Stations Manager Mod to install the stations. I don't know if you're familiar with this or not, but after extracting the radio files (KPO and NHK) to the Radio folder in the game, and running the RSM, the only events that show up in the RSM are for Radio Washington, and NHK. I determined that this is because of the different folder structure between KPO and NHK/Washington. The latter two stations unfold as follows: Station name, followed by events. KPO is divided by yearly folders. I hope I'm not loseing you here. My question is, do I need to take the events folder out of the year folder, eliminating the year folder so the file structure resembles NHK/Wash? In other words, KPO/Events.

This leads me to another question. Because there are different frequencies and antenna values for each year, will I in essence be creating five different stations? All the ini info must be entered into the RSM, and I'm alittle confused on how to do it. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-11, 01:36 PM   #315
fred8615
Saint of the seas

I've added a set of Chinese music. See the first post for details.

Quote:
Fred, I have a question. I'm planning on useing the Radio Stations Manager Mod to install the stations. I don't know if you're familiar with this or not, but after extracting the radio files (KPO and NHK) to the Radio folder in the game, and running the RSM, the only events that show up in the RSM are for Radio Washington, and NHK. I determined that this is because of the different folder structure between KPO and NHK/Washington. The latter two stations unfold as follows: Station name, followed by events. KPO is divided by yearly folders. I hope I'm not loseing you here. My question is, do I need to take the events folder out of the year folder, eliminating the year folder so the file structure resembles NHK/Wash? In other words, KPO/Events.

This leads me to another question. Because there are different frequencies and antenna values for each year, will I in essence be creating five different stations? All the ini info must be entered into the RSM, and I'm alittle confused on how to do it. Thanks for your help.
RSM really isn't for installing already created stations. It's more for editing and/or creating new ones. The simplest way to add the KPO info is to copy the desired station info (generic or real frequencies. DO NOT USE BOTH!) and the paste it in the radio.ini directly. Make sure you put them in the proper order, by frequency.

Last edited by fred8615; 01-20-11 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added reply.

Tags
music, radio, radio stations