SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-20, 12:11 PM   #1051
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

"The system is not really geared to what we need right now... let's admit it," said Dr Anthony Fauci from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51860529

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 12:23 PM   #1052
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

BBC takes "not geared to what we need right now" and turns it into "system failing" Now go to BBC health and look how many reports of wonderful things their government and health system doing and are just johnny on the spot working miracles to stem the tide of the virus. Thats what I noticed a lot about European news sources always seem to point out the perceived failings of others particularly the United States. In what I think is a distraction attempting to convince their own citizens how its so much better for them where they're at.

If anyone here in the United States really thinks it is better to be on a small relatively isolated infected island better hurry next flight leaves in ten minutes

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-12-20 at 12:33 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 12:28 PM   #1053
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Well to be honest I don't see much difference. The MSM has more money, a bigger audience and the big name talking heads, but if they are no more reliable than some guy's blog it puts them on the same level. And then there is the obvious political bias to deal with.
Huh, I guess that's another cultural difference. We have pretty tough laws relating to media, and going for outright lies or made-up stuff, that kind of thing, leads to harsh fines or being removed from the air (once again, cultural differences in our relation to the administration and government, it's accepted and it works quite decently here even though it'd be anathema for most anglo cultures), so there's a bit more trust for large media. I can understand where the anglos come from, though, what with Sinclair and Murdoch doing their stuff and political ads being the norm.

Still, the 'alternative media' are IMO even worse because they can afford to do stuff that would wreck the viewership numbers for larger media, since they have a smaller individual market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
BBC takes "not geared to what we need right now" and turns it into "system failing" Now go to BBC health and look how many reports of wonderful things their government and health system doing and are just johnny on the spot working miracles to stem the tide of the virus. Thats what I noticed a lot about European news sources always seem to point out the perceived failings of others in what I think is a distraction attempting to convince their own citizens that its so much better for them where they're at.

If anyone here in the United States really thinks its so much better to be on a small relatively isolated island better hurry next flight leaves in ten minutes
Thing is, the public healthcare systems are still quite more effective in general (better results than privatized system for a much lower cost while still supporting strong healthcare industries) and against epidemics in particular, considering they aren't creating an environment where millions prefer to 'tough it out' rather than facing absurdly high bills. In normal conditions, it's already much worse, but with an epidemic...
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 12:41 PM   #1054
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I think the population in Italy would tend to disagree with your general assessment of the benefits of public healthcare. That's not to say it's all bad but then neither is private healthcare. Both have dedicated people who care a great deal but without a doubt sometimes they have to deal with imperfect systems.

Old 03-12-20, 12:43 PM   #1055
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
I think the population in Italy would tend to disagree with your general assessment of the benefits of public healthcare. That's not to say it's all bad but then neither is private healthcare. Both are good but without doubt imperfect systems.
While the South Korean public system works well. Though we'll have to wait until this blows off to know more about each system's failings. For starters, we have yet to know how many infections are taking place in the US, considering the CDC's... suboptimal reaction.
Old 03-12-20, 12:54 PM   #1056
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Shinra View Post
While the South Korean public system works well. Though we'll have to wait until this blows off to know more about each system's failings. For starters, we have yet to know how many infections are taking place in the US, considering the CDC's... suboptimal reaction.

Like I said before we dont have a centralized system of government, a dictatorship, magic wand. Its just not us, so our system of government will certainly move slower in comparison. Nor do I think we have to wait around for this to blow over to see who failed. It seems to me this type of thing happening wasn't on anyone's RADAR screen. I dont believe anyone was prepared at the level of readiness we all wish we were at right now. Its not the end of the world we will get through this.

And I should add too your well deserved recognition of South Korea that Singapore appears to really have their act together too

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-12-20 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 12:57 PM   #1057
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Add Nascar to the list of sports being effected by Covid-19

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mot...ta/ar-BB116CeR

NASCAR has made it official: No fans will be allowed at this weekend’s race at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Quote:
The decision is due to the spread of coronavirus.

NASCAR tweeted the announcement, saying that the race will be restricted to competitors, crews, officials and other “necessary personal to conduct the race.”
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 12:59 PM   #1058
Buddahaid

Sure everything is fine. I expect it won't be long before all sporting events are participants only but give it a few more weeks. Even if they don't make that mandatory I certainly won't attend any until the pandemic is under control and many others will feel the same way.

David Bowie
Old 03-12-20, 01:04 PM   #1059
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
Like I said before we dont have a centralized system of government, a dictatorship or magic wand. With ours it does seem to move a little slower in comparison. Though I dont think we have to wait around for this to blow over to see who failed. Quite frankly I dont think this type of thing was anyone's RADAR screen. I dont think anyone was prepared at the level of readiness everyone wishes we were at right now. Its not the end of the world we will get through.
Oh. It's not the end of the world by far, but still, at the very least, the CDC is going to need a serious revamping because they failed extremely hard at their main job, for which they have a massive budget compared to equivalents around the globe, and some strong reputation until last month.

One of the biggest questions for the epidemic, IMHO, remains to know how many people are infected in the US, because that could hamper even harder the global economy if the lack of response leads to general contamination and important fatalities on experienced leadership and employees. IIRC, Boeing stopped its production in Washington, which in itself could be one hell of a mess as the US will have to subsidy it even harder at the same time Airbus will have to do whatever it can to prevent a full monopoly to happen (they don't want such a monopoly). This kind of disruption will hit value chains in both directions, top-down and bottom-up, and will hurt everyone, which I don't like, being part of the 'everyone'.

I still think the White House should force the hands of the private hospitals and the such, to make sure testing and treatment are made free, if only to get more people to, you know, cooperate properly with the fight against the epidemics. In the end, I think it'd be cheaper than the economic consequences of the epidemic going unchecked over the States.

As for Singapore, yeah, not surprising the place where you get fined or maybe even beaten over for spitting on the ground gets stuff done quickly in case of an epidemic. That must be pretty high in their threat list.
Old 03-12-20, 01:18 PM   #1060
Buddahaid

Australian GP canceled.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51849163

David Bowie
Old 03-12-20, 02:12 PM   #1061
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

More good information and treatment studies.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-12-20 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 04:14 PM   #1062
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Shinra View Post
Oh. It's not the end of the world by far, but still, at the very least, the CDC is going to need a serious revamping because they failed extremely hard at their main job, for which they have a massive budget compared to equivalents around the globe, and some strong reputation until last month.

One of the biggest questions for the epidemic, IMHO, remains to know how many people are infected in the US, because that could hamper even harder the global economy if the lack of response leads to general contamination and important fatalities on experienced leadership and employees. IIRC, Boeing stopped its production in Washington, which in itself could be one hell of a mess as the US will have to subsidy it even harder at the same time Airbus will have to do whatever it can to prevent a full monopoly to happen (they don't want such a monopoly). This kind of disruption will hit value chains in both directions, top-down and bottom-up, and will hurt everyone, which I don't like, being part of the 'everyone'.
You aint just whistlin' Dixie boy. Many of economic thinkers were already saying we were heading for a recession. The Fed has for sometime now been throwing cash at the problem regularly pumping billions to keep our economy afloat. So buckle up, I think this virus just nailed the coffin shut. Like it or not, we're in for a very deep global economic recession. The virus will be over and the economy will still stink most foul. Nice thing about failing economies though is they usually fall fast and end with a loud thump as we land on our collective arses. Its the ride back up that's usually slow and painful. But its a great opportunity to as they say 'buy the dip' problem right now is wondering where its at.

Quote:
I still think the White House should force the hands of the private hospitals and the such, to make sure testing and treatment are made free, if only to get more people to, you know, cooperate properly with the fight against the epidemics. In the end, I think it'd be cheaper than the economic consequences of the epidemic going unchecked over the States.
Contrary to popular believe the United States healthcare system is not one big for profit only system. By law private hospitals must treat emergency room patients. How bills get paid later is another matter. I know from experience there are a truck load of charities and institutions who help if not pay all in these matters when people cant afford the bill.

According to American Hospital Association's AHA Hospital Statistics publication. We have over 5,000 hospitals in the U.S. and only 1,000 of them are private for profit type. The rest are divided up into about 1200 state and federal tax payer funded (PUBLIC) hospitals and the rest are non-profit. Non profit doesnt mean they cant make a profit though, they have to use it for something. In many cases they build and support free clinics throughout the U.S. Being you're in Europe Im sure you hear quite often how terrible our healthcare system is. Probably just about as often we hear about how terrible yours is over there. Seems they're always trying to convince us its the other guy that has all the problems. All I can do is speak for myself when I say I'm very happy about the cost and care I've received.

As for testing according to the CDC: Clinicians should base their decisions on whether a patient should be tested for COVID-19 on:
  • Signs and symptoms,
  • Local epidemiology, and
  • If the patient has had close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 patient or a history of travel from an area with sustained transmission within 14 days of symptom onset.
Which at the moment make sense as it prevents people from just coming in demanding one so they feel better about themselves. There are people who need this information fast. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) on February 4, 2020. Its being used to authorize new labs to speed up determining results of these tests. However the fact remains nothing is free, even in your country, somebody has to pay for the development and administration of those tests. Either my insurance, the tax payer, the non-profit, or charity. And its no where near the 3,000 plus dollar test social media we heard about on social media that story was a complete fraud.

Quote:
As for Singapore, yeah, not surprising the place where you get fined or maybe even beaten over for spitting on the ground gets stuff done quickly in case of an epidemic. That must be pretty high in their threat list.
Government whipping that corona virus into submission

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-12-20 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 04:28 PM   #1063
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
Contrary to popular believe the United States healthcare system is not one big for profit only system. By law private hospitals must treat emergency room patients. How bills get paid later is another matter. I know from experience there are a truck load of charities and institutions who help if not pay all in these matters when people cant afford the bill.

According to American Hospital Association's AHA Hospital Statistics publication. We have over 5,000 hospitals in the U.S. and only 1,000 of them are private for profit type. The rest are divided up into about 1200 state and federal tax payer funded (PUBLIC) hospitals and the rest are non-profit. Non profit doesnt mean they cant make a profit though, they have to use it for something. In many cases they build and support free clinics throughout the U.S. Being you're in Europe Im sure you hear quite often how terrible our healthcare system is. Probably just about as often we hear about how terrible yours is over there. Seems they're always trying to convince us its the other guy that has all the problems. All I can do is speak for myself when I say I'm very happy about the cost and care I've received.
Well, I do find it interesting that the one system which is organized in a fundamentally different fashion is both more expensive for the taxpayer (you pay several thousand dollars more taxes for the healthcare system than I do) and leads to significantly lower healthy life expectancy at birth (http://gamapserver.who.int/mapLibrar..._HALE_2016.png and http://gamapserver.who.int/mapLibrar...chResults.aspx) than, well, all other developed countries. All that money saved could buy quite a number of additional carriers and submarines. :-P

You might have received decent healthcare, but there's quite the room for improvement. The whole thing about emergency care you described means that people wait until it becomes an emergency, which makes the care more expensive for everyone. In the case of the coronavirus, it means people will wait much longer before getting themselves checked and isolated, which leads to more contaminations. IMO, it would be cheaper overall if Capitol Hill just footed the bill for all testing and care in this epidemic right now rather than waiting for more and more people to be contaminated, leading to increased economic cost: it's preventive maintenance of the human machinery of the industry, and it costs less to put some WD-40 regularly in the gears than to replace them when they break.
Old 03-12-20, 04:29 PM   #1064
Buddahaid

US suspends all major sports. Unless you're a woman apparently.....
https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/51847482

David Bowie
Old 03-12-20, 04:47 PM   #1065
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I've been told this is a fake website that delivers malware. See the circled url and avoid it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wuhanfake.jpg (90.2 KB, 31 views)
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan