SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-12, 10:07 AM   #1
Blatant Hunter
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Feeling let down, would like to try SH4

I was an avid SH3 fan, and lately came across a copy of SH5 in a bargain bin of death in some hardware store.

Needless to say, I just couldn't pass up and bought it.

Now, I would like to begin by stating that I'm a very positive person, globally.

The bugs and performance really impaired my ability to enjoy this game, and after a few weeks, I only managed to complete two missions. Wilhelmshaven docks vanishing, loading a game and plumetting to the abyss while calmly standing on the conning tower using binoculars and more importantly : living to tell that story, cooks and officers with no face and flying eyeballs telling me about cut strings on their violins and other mildly peculiar things that had me raise eyebrows until my upper face started to hurt. I thought UBIsoft decided to implement cabin fever in the game, turns out it's not the case.

I will not talk about the DRM, but I will say that I keep my laptop with me for long train or coach travel with no Wi-fi or internet. I feel cheated and abused, 10$ game or not. I will let this game mature before venturing back in it, the potential is unbelievable.

Anyways, the only thing SH5 managed to do is call me back to the seas, and I want to order and install SH4 and plunge back into the claustrophobic paradise that is a self propelled, underwater metal tube with smelly seamen crammed inside of it.

I'm absolutely astounded by the mods and the outstanding work of the people here and would like first to congratulate all of you. You people have amazing skills and made these games better than anyone could hope.

I will report back in this thread later today with some questions because I want to research the site first to wrap my mind around all of this modding stuff and come out with the best possible incarnation of SH4 to sink my teeth into.

This website is amazing.
Blatant Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-12, 11:46 AM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

sh5

first you have to update the game, then there are tons of mods to correct issues with the game and remove the "arcade" feel to it.

if you dont want to give the game a chance then shelve it but from your description you really havent even made any effort to see what the game is like when properly modded.
Old 07-31-12, 12:04 PM   #3
Blatant Hunter
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
sh5

first you have to update the game, then there are tons of mods to correct issues with the game and remove the "arcade" feel to it.

if you dont want to give the game a chance then shelve it but from your description you really havent even made any effort to see what the game is like when properly modded.
Well, I did update the game but have not modded it. I have played compulsively for 4 weeks and just got tired and frustrated of restarting it and waiting for it to load etc.

I indeed read about it and the mods that correct some of the issues and improve the feel, but to be honest the overall performance did not make me want to research and modify any further, even after extensive tweaking of graphical options. I plan on getting a better machine soon, and I might give it another go then, since it will run better.

I still think SH5 is a great game, but the DRM on long trips with no internet, and mostly sluggish performance (on my PC anyways) are deal breakers at the moment for me...

Hope you understand.
Old 07-31-12, 01:47 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

well i really dont care one way or the other, to each his own and play what you like but there are mods that convert sh5 into sh3 or sh4 style user interfaces and they completely transform the game from stock.

stock sh5 sucks and isnt worth playing IMHO but i just wanted you to know you might not have given it a complete look into how it can be because of how pathetic the stock sh5 game is IMO
Old 07-31-12, 01:51 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

There are reasons to like SH5, and there are still reasons not to like it. Mostly things still lacking are the reasons not to like it, but the many mods give plenty of people reason to love it, within its current limitations.

For what it does it is a great game, and still getting better.

Oh, and the "Have to be online" thing has been gone for more than a year.
Old 07-31-12, 01:59 PM   #6
Blatant Hunter
Swabbie

Well these are good news, I can't wait to try it again with a faster machine then. I would not have played it non stop for a month if I did not have hope and didn't like it at all.

I'm still researching the megamods page for SH4 and some of this stuff is amazing.

I even read something about some mod that allowed better usage of available RAM for SH4. The stock game carried the entire world in memory instead of a radius around your ship.

I ordered the gold edition which is V1.5 if I'm not mistaken. Should be here in a few days
Old 07-31-12, 04:40 PM   #7
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Hope you enjoy it!

If you're a fan of SH3, you'll be much more at home with SH4 than SH5. In fact, arguably SH4 actually IS SH3, just with better graphics, performance, and important fixes - and of course a different theatre. However, if you like the Atlantic, you'll be happy to know that the Operation Monsun megamod covers the whole German side pretty completely too. IMO, SH4 is the best - and most under-appreciated - version of Silent Hunter out there, although some of the SH3 mods have come along extremely far (and in some regards do beat SH4). Still, if you want something that works with relative ease and fairly decent performance and graphics (well, for a 5-year-old game, anyway), it's a natural choice.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-12, 10:50 PM   #8
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant Hunter View Post
Well these are good news, I can't wait to try it again with a faster machine then. I would not have played it non stop for a month if I did not have hope and didn't like it at all.

I'm still researching the megamods page for SH4 and some of this stuff is amazing.

I even read something about some mod that allowed better usage of available RAM for SH4. The stock game carried the entire world in memory instead of a radius around your ship.

I ordered the gold edition which is V1.5 if I'm not mistaken. Should be here in a few days

check out the popular mods sticky found here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155786

there are lots of things to help you there along with the Large Address Aware adjustment to use more then 2gb of memmory on 32bit systems
Old 08-01-12, 06:45 AM   #9
Blatant Hunter
Swabbie

That is truly excellent, this is a great help.

I don't play on full realism, but I want to mod SH4+UBM to have the best possible experience and the megamods here look delicious, namely operation monsun