SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-08, 08:07 PM   #61
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torps
The subs name is pure hollywood.
USS Seadragon, USS Searaven, USS Seawolf, USS Sealion....

'Seaviper' doesn't sound like much of a stretch, though I doubt the boat in the movie is a Sargo.
Old 02-22-08, 09:27 PM   #62
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeyez
Given that filming for the movie hasn't really started yet, I'd say it's a decent teaser trailer.
Yea, seriously. I think you guys are expecting a little too much at this stage

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 11:02 PM   #63
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeyez
Given that filming for the movie hasn't really started yet, I'd say it's a decent teaser trailer.
Yea, seriously. I think you guys are expecting a little too much at this stage
Actually, I think they've run out of money, can't afford any actors, and are just going to have the entire movie be two hours of smoky interior shots of the boat with disembodied voices coming from everywhere. Or the sub could be controlled by a supercomputer like HAL or WOPR. That would be cool.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 03:50 AM   #64
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

You know, I really liked "Enemy at the Gates," though I was a bit disappointed that everyone was speaking English. Not an American film, though.

You know, I'd think their would be a lot of Russian/Soviet WW2 films, but I'm barely aware of any. Can anyone recommend some?
Old 02-23-08, 04:24 AM   #65
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee
You know, I really liked "Enemy at the Gates," though I was a bit disappointed that everyone was speaking English. Not an American film, though.
Yuck, yuck, yuck, and yuck again. Good story ruined by a stupid romantic encounter and Cold War propaganda that some people just won't let go of.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 04:31 AM   #66
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

Quote:

You know, I'd think their would be a lot of Russian/Soviet WW2 films, but I'm barely aware of any. Can anyone recommend some?
I saw one that wa made in the 80's. Can't recall what it was called, it was about a young boy (maybe 10-12 years) who loses his family and has to survive the German assault. It spent a lot of time concentrating on SS units and how insane/animal like they were. To be honest, it was a pretty reasonable film. Wish I could recall what the hell it was, but they are deffinately out there. Maybe our Russian members could recommend some?

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 11:47 AM   #67
sqk7744
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood
OK, that's the worst trailer I have ever seen...

The whole movie could be a hoax given that as evidence of any actual movie footage. Good grief, I coulda done that myself after a 10 min vid-cam tour of the Drum.
So where do I pre-order the DVD?
:p
sqk7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 03:14 PM   #68
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Quote:
Yuck, yuck, yuck, and yuck again. Good story ruined by a stupid romantic encounter and Cold War propaganda that some people just won't let go of.
Dude, I was really happy that a big budget film was actually MADE about Stalingrad and being released in a theater w/a large screen and good sound system. They can't all be masterpieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkbarGulag
Quote:

I saw one that wa made in the 80's. Can't recall what it was called, it was about a young boy (maybe 10-12 years) who loses his family and has to survive the German assault. It spent a lot of time concentrating on SS units and how insane/animal like they were. To be honest, it was a pretty reasonable film. Wish I could recall what the hell it was, but they are deffinately out there. Maybe our Russian members could recommend some?
I will have to see that, if I can find it (after I identify it).
Old 02-24-08, 05:55 PM   #69
shoot-kill-win
Medic

Downloads: 9

I understand everyones dislike of the film from the story line posted on the website and, the trailer. However you must realize, that a volunteer at the U.S.S. Drum has been working with the film crew to make the picture more realisic. Also, at least someone is making a WWII submarine movie in color, since most of todays generation wont watch black and white movies. And at least watch the film once since the profits the film makes will be going towards restoring the Drum, she is in desperate need of restoration, Go out to this site and check it out: http://www.saveoursubmarines.com/

U.S.S. Batfish "The champion Submarine-killing sub of WWII"
Official tonnage: 12,332
Sank 3 subs in 3 days
shoot-kill-win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 06:04 PM   #70
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot-kill-win
I understand everyones dislike of the film from the story line posted on the website and, the trailer. However you must realize, that a volunteer at the U.S.S. Drum has been working with the film crew to make the picture more realisic. Also, at least someone is making a WWII submarine movie in color, since most of todays generation wont watch black and white movies. And at least watch the film once since the profits the film makes will be going towards restoring the Drum, she is in desperate need of restoration, Go out to this site and check it out: http://www.saveoursubmarines.com/

I agree. Before anyone casts their stone at this film, they should visit the Drum and get to know the volunteers. I can assure you it would change your heart to at least be open to the upcoming film.

SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG - These are the submarines in your neighborhood! Get involved, they need you.
Doyle Blalock - the life of my WWII submarine veteran grandfather.
Drum228.org - devoted to the Gato-class museum sub USS Drum (SS-228) complete with war patrol reports, historical info, and restoration progress.
snakeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 02:13 PM   #71
Machineit
Nub

Downloads: 0

http://www.seasky.org/monsters/sea7a1d.html
Machineit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 02:18 PM   #72
Carl Lyons
Watch

Downloads: 0
Default USS Sea Viper

Gentleman,

In the interest of full disclosure I am one the producers on Sea Viper. I have changed my name as not to get pummeled with phone calls. However, I did want folks to know that the actors, crew, and including Tom & Leslie who are working very hard on the boat along with various sub and navy vets are all volunteers or deferred. The directors father served on the on the Drum & Torsk during WW2 and will be interviewed for the doc. Tom and Leslie have been working with our team to make sure that we are as accurate as possible. Our director is a navy vet and our sfx coordinator is an army vet. A number of the stories in the film are taken from actual events including believe it or not the Captain leaving the sub. (Lt. "Red" Coe). We'll be happy to provide further docs on request. Our team is doing this completely independently at this time and is basically trying to pull this off with the resources and gear we have on hand. Though we won't be perfect we will work our hardest to ensure that the silent service receives it's due honor and respect with the film and the doc.

Regards,
Seaviper,
Cast & Crew

"Jungle warfare! Crew of the S-39 (SS-144), led by Skipper "Red" Coe, searches for Singapore refugees on a tropic island, circa 1942. Had the enemy intercepted the call for help? Were Japanese marksmen waiting in ambush? This was one of many dangerous special missions performed by submariners."
Carl Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 02:39 PM   #73
kikn79
Medic

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lyons
Gentleman,

In the interest of full disclosure I am one the producers on Sea Viper. I have changed my name as not to get pummeled with phone calls. However, I did want folks to know that the actors, crew, and including Tom & Leslie who are working very hard on the boat along with various sub and navy vets are all volunteers or deferred. The directors father served on the on the Drum & Torsk during WW2 and will be interviewed for the doc. Tom and Leslie have been working with our team to make sure that we are as accurate as possible. Our director is a navy vet and our sfx coordinator is an army vet. A number of the stories in the film are taken from actual events including believe it or not the Captain leaving the sub. (Lt. "Red" Coe). We'll be happy to provide further docs on request. Our team is doing this completely independently at this time and is basically trying to pull this off with the resources and gear we have on hand. Though we won't be perfect we will work our hardest to ensure that the silent service receives it's due honor and respect with the film and the doc.

Regards,
Seaviper,
Cast & Crew

"Jungle warfare! Crew of the S-39 (SS-144), led by Skipper "Red" Coe, searches for Singapore refugees on a tropic island, circa 1942. Had the enemy intercepted the call for help? Were Japanese marksmen waiting in ambush? This was one of many dangerous special missions performed by submariners."
Welcome aboard!!!

I for one am glad someone is making a WWII Submarine movie. I would have hated to have to do the damn thing myself with machinima and SH4.

I am looking forward to seeing it.

Chuck
kikn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 02:46 PM   #74
DavyJonesFootlocker
The Old Man

Downloads: 138

Movie on the Eastern Front- "Cross of Iron".
A proud member of the Wikipedia Haters Club
DavyJonesFootlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 04:30 PM   #75
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I just read Shoot-Kill-Win's link, and after looking at the photos of the sad state Drum is in, I'll see the movie no matter what anybody says. If I hate it, I hate, it; and who knows, I might even like it.

And if I ever have any real money, I'll send some of it Drum's way first.