SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-30-08, 02:15 PM   #16
BellJack95
Bosun

Downloads: 149
Uploads: 0

First, I wish the GWX team good luck and smooth sailing as you craft the SH4 GWX version. I appreciate all your long hours of hard work crafting the mod and greatly enjoyed the SH3 GWX experience!

I would like to humbly ask that, if possible, the mod not require having the U-boat expansion (v1.5). I am one user of SH4 that has not purchased the expansion and I have a good time sailing around in the PTO in my trusty US sub so have not found a need to buy it. I just wanted to express my individual opinion (and I am probably in the minority) before your project gets off the ground. Regardless of your decision, I still wish your team the best. Cheers!
BellJack95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 02:50 PM   #17
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 216

Best of luck with the Build for SH4 look forward to seeing what gems you roll out, later in the year.
Old 07-30-08, 03:21 PM   #18
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

That's excelent news. I can't wait to start testing the new baby in the SH4 environment

@Chris: It's good to see you in the forum mate. I hope all goes well with you and your family. Try to stay away from dangers (as much as possible) and stay safe
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 04:17 PM   #19
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

This is great news indeed gentelmen! Good luck in your efforts
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 10:42 PM   #20
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
Personal opinion...in SH4 I think installation via JSGME would make more sense.
Basically, we'll certainly go for the installer cause JSGME can let files in any folder when you have to disable BIG mods...
It will not happen using an installer.
I thought I'd jump in here because this is not the first time that someone from the GWX team has recently made this incorrect statement; the result being emails sent to me seeking clarification.

Alex, your statement is based on pre-v2.0 versions of JSGME and the experiences of users that did not follow the instructions at the time. It is correct that prior to v2.0 JSGME did not remove *new folders* added to games. It did, however, remove any new files...UNLESS users stuffed around with files in the mod folder without disabling the associated mod first. In this case there was a higher potential for new files to remain behind as well. Now, because at least one member of the GWX team made this mistake frequently, it added to the belief that JSGME doesn't clean up after itself and hence why the claim seems to come only from the GWX team.

ANYWAY, this is beside the point because the enabling/disabling engine was rewritten completely for JSGME v2.0. JSGME now removes ALL folders and files added to the game - it stores an installation log away from the user so even if the user stuffs around with a mod after it's installed, JSGME won't care. Of course, edit the install or backup logs and all bets are off, but under normal usage, JSGME WILL clean up completely after itself.

Now, if users have a differing FIRST HAND experience, they should contact me for support, rather than post conjecture.

Having said this, I would not recommend the use of JSGME to install packages such as GWX. It will work and work well, albeit a bit slowly, but for maximum stability and performance, packages such as GWX should be completely integrated with the base game. On top of this integrated SH/GWX base can be applied smaller mods via JSGME. Integrating via an installer also removes the user-error margin.

Back to retirement...
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 03:31 AM   #21
GOZO
Commander

Downloads: 176

AMEN!

An elogé to the GWX-team AND the "Retired" wizard from down under.

<Salute>

/OB

SHIV:TMo 2.5, RSRD, SCAF OLC, Ralle's modpack
SHIV: WDAD, Med Campaign
SHIII: GWX3 GOLD, OLCII Gold, ACM-reloaded interface mod, SHIIIcmndr 3.2, Full Realism/DiD
SHIII: LSH3 2015
Cold Waters with all bells and whistles
Finally SHV but still unmodded and still a noob....
GOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 04:37 AM   #22
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellJack95
I would like to humbly ask that, if possible, the mod not require having the U-boat expansion (v1.5). I am one user of SH4 that has not purchased the expansion and I have a good time sailing around in the PTO in my trusty US sub so have not found a need to buy it. I just wanted to express my individual opinion (and I am probably in the minority) before your project gets off the ground. Regardless of your decision, I still wish your team the best. Cheers!
This decision is obviously up to Privateer and the team however, my understanding is that GWX will only be modding SH4 from the point of view of a U-Boat and thus only adding content relating to this theater. As others have discovered there are certain aspects of the game which will cease to work correctly in either theater when fundamental changes are made in the other.

Legally, if GWX wants to mod the ATO into SH4 it can not include basic code/material in any released package without the end user already owning the UBM expansion. So I suspect the UBM will be a requirement.

Besides, many others have the PTO covered and then there's always mutiple installs to help anyone wishing to play both.
Old 07-31-08, 12:52 PM   #23
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
...and there was I thinking that some kind of standing order was in place from the Team Leader/Kpt.....:hmm: Oh well, plenty of space in the galley......

LMAO - You've still got to built it and you're already talking about distribution.
LOL....It would appear some things never change Dan

Off to the pub/shooting range.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 09:23 AM   #24
BellJack95
Bosun

Downloads: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellJack95
This decision is obviously up to Privateer and the team however, my understanding is that GWX will only be modding SH4 from the point of view of a U-Boat and thus only adding content relating to this theater. As others have discovered there are certain aspects of the game which will cease to work correctly in either theater when fundamental changes are made in the other.

Legally, if GWX wants to mod the ATO into SH4 it can not include basic code/material in any released package without the end user already owning the UBM expansion. So I suspect the UBM will be a requirement.

Besides, many others have the PTO covered and then there's always mutiple installs to help anyone wishing to play both.
danlisa - thank you for the explanation. Oh well, I was hoping for a GWX mod from the perspective of the US Subs since the team did an excellent job in SH3, but I understand.

Good luck GWX on your mod. I will have to content myself with enjoying GWX on the SH3 platform since I do not have any plans currently on buying the 1.5 expansion (UBM).

Time to shove off as I look forward to seeing what sealed orders await me on the next mission for my current command - the USS Sailfish (SS-192) - or as some of the crew call her....the USS "Squailfish" so Good Hunting!

*edited to correct typos
BellJack95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 04:16 PM   #25
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

For the love of all that is holy, could you guys PLEASE fix it so the U Boat crewmen have the proper foul weather gear, as in SH3. I know I've asked this befor, and if I was talented enough to make an attempt I would have already, but it is really a PITA to have such beautifully modeled U Boats in the game only to have to see the crew wearing US Navy issue raingear. It kills the whole mood for me I can't be the only one who feels this way, am I?:hmm:
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 04:34 PM   #26
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Probably not.......should be added to the list of 'requires fixing'.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 11:38 AM   #27
sh3rules
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 24

Back to the Atlantic...

sh3rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 08:15 PM   #28
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I do hope some persons are ready to peel taters and onions.
Fritz has been a bit lonely for several months now.
And it appears Galley duty has been missed.

If you have a question?
Ask me.
Does not mean I'll tell you anythng,
but I'm now the 'Go to Guy"

You can request what you'd like to see.
I'll watch for this.
Does not mean it will happen.

You can demand things.
Again,
Does not mean it will happen.

Those that wish to slam us and bash us?
Go for it.
You have not a CLUE to what is about to happen.

I wish you all Luck and Good Hunting!

Old 08-02-08, 08:43 PM   #29
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Slam! Bash! Biff!Ooof! Hey! shore leave's over. You guys are supposed to be back at the lair complaining about how hard you have to work! Instead you're wasting time here... Chop! Chop! Penelope's been there for hours but she's not cookin'!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 08:47 PM   #30
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Actually, there is roughly a week and a beer or 2 to Official start.

Down Scope!