Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-23, 12:27 PM   #1
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default French Revolution 2.0

May Day riot squads in full force.

Is this really just about workers having to work two more years to recieve a max pension? If it is the response seems a little overkill to me. Anything else going on?

Live video
https://www.youtube.com/live/b3HAEnhM4js?feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/live/Bizv5PPt_do?feature=share

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 12:32 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I think there have to be more to it than just these two years increase on their retirement.

One may say that this was the drop of water which made the glass to be overfilled.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 12:42 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The French have a long history of civil disorder in defence of their rights. Tis just a pity we Brits haven't.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 12:51 PM   #4
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I think there have to be more to it than just these two years increase on their retirement.

One may say that this was the drop of water which made the glass to be overfilled.

Markus

Seems that glass has been overfilled for some time now. I remember similar riots when they proposed a longer work week.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 01:24 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Seems that glass has been overfilled for some time now. I remember similar riots when they proposed a longer work week.
Guess you're right.

Following the development in their society, in the news here and in Sweden, tells me that the riot we see must be due to a lot more..

But then I can't read French and Jim is also correct when he wrote
"long history of civil disorder in defence of their rights."

Let say it's a feeling I have.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 02:10 PM   #6
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Guess you're right.

Following the development in their society, in the news here and in Sweden, tells me that the riot we see must be due to a lot more..

But then I can't read French and Jim is also correct when he wrote
"long history of civil disorder in defence of their rights."

Let say it's a feeling I have.

Markus

You may well be right. Nobody thought the first French revolution would happen, until it did.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 02:31 PM   #7
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

The violence used by the security forces is objectively disproportionate. The sharp increase in violence by the security forces is not proportional to the increase in aggressive protesters, there are more agitated individuals throwing stones, but compared to what the police can do, it is peanuts. The problem is that French security forces do not target individuals, but the whole group. The police seem to treat protests as a fight between two equal partners, but the job of the police is not to fight with protesters, but to maintain order. For a few years now, and certainly since the chaotic Yellow Jacket protests, there has been talk of a zero-tolerance policy. In the past, like the student revolt in May 1968, we have also seen extremely violent protests. But then the police knew better how to control their frustrations, even when people threw stones, Molotov cocktails and insulted policemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 08:22 PM   #8
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

France under fire at UN for police violence, racial and religious discrimination Issued on: 01/05/2023 - 15:46

Riot police officers face youths during a demonstration, May 1, 2023 in Paris. © Aurelien Morissar, AP
Text by: NEWS WIRES 1 min

Quote:
Several nations voiced concern at the United Nations Monday over police violence, including against protesters, in France, as the country headed into another day of mass demonstrations.

Attacks on migrants, racial profiling and religious intolerance were also raised during the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) – which all 193 UN countries must undergo every four years.

France must "take measures to, in a transparent manner, address allegations regarding excessive use of force by police and gendarmerie against protestors during demonstrations," Sweden's representative told the Human Rights Council in Geneva.

Other countries raised similar concerns, including Denmark, Liechtenstein and Norway, but also Russia, Venezuela and Iran – three countries that themselves regularly face accusations of police violence and other serious and widespread human rights violations.

"We are concerned about the harsh and sometimes violent measures aimed at dispersing peaceful citizens," Russia's representative Kristina Sukacheva, told the council.

The criticism came as France braced for up to 1.5 million protesters to fill its streets to mark the May 1 workers day, even as President Emmanuel Macron tries to steer the country on from a divisive pension law that has sparked anger, pan-bashing and social unrest.

It echoed growing outcry in France of the police for disproportionate use of force in dealing with the crowds, amid the months of protests over the move to raise France's pension age from 62 to 64.

During Monday's review, several countries including the United States and China called on France to do more to battle racial and religious discrimination.

US representative Kelly Billingsley said her country urged Paris to "expand efforts to counter crimes and threats of violence motivated by religious hatred such as antisemitism and anti-Muslim hate, including cases of harassment, vandalism, and assault."

The Chinese representative decried "a rise of racism and xenophobia" in France, urging it to "stop … measures that violate rights of migrants".

Brazil and Japan decried "racial profiling by security forces".

Sabrine Balim, a judicial advisor with the French interior ministry, told the council the use of force was "strictly supervised, controlled, and in the case of erroneous use, sanctioned."

She also stressed that "France condemns any form of racial profiling."

Old 05-02-23, 04:40 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Perhaps it is just as well that Madame la Guillotine has long since been retired

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-23, 08:58 AM   #10
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Not gettin a warm and fuzzy all is well in Europe when riot squads are wearing chain mail and carrying long batons.

Old 05-02-23, 04:11 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Its a long story of alienation of the French people form their quite feudal self-proclaimed elites, of which Macronman is seen as a extraordinarily blasé and arrogant representative. The pension thing is just the last straw that broke the camel's back. The political caste in France is very elitist and distanced from the common people'S reality, gets formed and educated quite isolated from the common people and the ordinary world, curent conflict is not the first confrontation between people and Macronman either. Finally, the French are ticking very lefty, and Macronman's pension is anything but that. The clash was inevitable.

The pension reform btw is about more than just 2 years more of work, there is also some mathematical stuff involved regarding from when on and after how many years pensioneers get full pensions indeed, and in a TV docu some weeks ago they showed that here the even bigger reason for the French people's anger is hidden, because in reality already now many people must work until much longer than just their 62nd birthday if they want to get full pension, and not just a reduced one. But i do not recall the details.

Just understand that the turmoil is about more than just 64 versus 62 years of age.
Old 05-04-23, 12:40 PM   #12
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 254