SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-14, 12:38 PM   #421
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

anakim! & LHLF!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 02:42 PM   #422
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHLF View Post
Did no one answer to this question? I read the comments that came afterwards and it seemed that there was not a single person supporting this.

YES, PLEASE make a proper pdf manual!

A wiki would be awesome too, but since wikis take a long time to be formed and to become somewhat complete and reliable (especially with all the updates that change a lot of things), a nice, complete manual would be perfect for us who are still starting to learn the ropes and commands.
It would be great if it could include some tips about what to do in the beginning, how to be prepared for accidents and unexpected things too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakim View Post
Hi ! Everybody,

First this game are very cool, i'am an ancient seaman on submarine (sory for my poor english).

i have suggestion for fun .

1) It possible to have surface vessel for playable asset in the future ?
2) Captain Log's for diplomacy event and hit.
3) Same as dwarf fortress , continue game with other submarine after death.

thanks for this awesome gameGeoff
Welcome to you both

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-15, 11:58 PM   #423
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Just got back from a holiday to discover I have a shiny new Best of Subsim Award! I'm very honoured, I certainly never expected this game to become so popular. A big thank you to those who nominated me and voted!

To answer the comments on the last page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by submersiblevalor84 View Post
I was trying out the new mini-update with the Foxtrot, but I decided to go with the November to see how a SSBN works in this game. After taking out some Israeli vessels and securing a military alliance with Pakistan, I got trigger happy and tried to launch a nuke at Narvik. And as the title said, I got a CTD... I hope it can be fixed in the near-future!
This may already have been fixed in a mini-update - try redownloading the game. There was a small bug causing occasional crashes during nuclear wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek94 View Post
Hmm... I think about one thing-random crush depth. If I set this to 310 meters sub take damage and water when I pass this limit. I know about random durability of pressure hull parts but its little annoying because crash depth have so detailed limit. Its possible to better randomize this? In one situation 310 meters give us a heavy leaking for other on 320 meter we get only little etc. For me it will be ideal option
This is certainly possible, I will probably implement this next version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Drum View Post
Is it possible to edit the models of existing submarines? I'm currently planning on making a submarine based on the Alfa and the default model would be great in that role with a few edits(Mostly changing the overall shape of the hull and the position and shape of the stern diving planes).

Edit: Also, how do you set how fast a sub runs on the surface?
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Drum View Post
Apparently I was using the old version of the editor.

Edit: I can't seem to download the new editor, are there other mirrors I could use?
Currently the sub editor does not allow you to modify existing submarines, I should get around to fixing that soon.

There is a different submarine editor with a nicer user interface here: http://filesmelt.com/dl/subcomeditor_v0.22_.4_.jar (made by Rayboy1995 of the Facepunch forums) which does allow you to load and save .sub files. It was designed for V0.22 so there might be a couple of bugs but it should work ok.

At the moment, there is no way to set the surface speed independently of the submerged speed. I'll add the ability to do this in the next version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHLF View Post
Did no one answer to this question? I read the comments that came afterwards and it seemed that there was not a single person supporting this.

YES, PLEASE make a proper pdf manual!

A wiki would be awesome too, but since wikis take a long time to be formed and to become somewhat complete and reliable (especially with all the updates that change a lot of things), a nice, complete manual would be perfect for us who are still starting to learn the ropes and commands.
It would be great if it could include some tips about what to do in the beginning, how to be prepared for accidents and unexpected things too!
Welcome! A couple of people on other forums have suggested a PDF manual too, so I think that's what I'll make. The fact that it can be used offline is a major advantage of the PDF over the wiki in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakim View Post
Hi ! Everybody,

First this game are very cool, i'am an ancient seaman on submarine (sory for my poor english).

i have suggestion for fun .

1) It possible to have surface vessel for playable asset in the future ?
2) Captain Log's for diplomacy event and hit.
3) Same as dwarf fortress , continue game with other submarine after death.

thanks for this awesome gameGeoff
Hi anakim! Thanks for posting, these are all good suggestions. I don't plan to add surface ships in the near future, but maybe eventually - the game code is flexible enough that it should be possible to simulate a frigate or destroyer one day. I do plan to make the captain's log more detailed soon, and saving a persistent world state should be possible too.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15, 06:08 PM   #424
LHLF
Nub

Downloads: 0

Thanks for answering!

Looking forward to the manual then!

And congratulations for the award! You truly deserve it!
LHLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 01:47 AM   #425
Sashkakuhta
Nub

I'm got an a suggestion: direct control of submarine crew
You can select any crewman and control him using WASD or arrow keys,
when selected crewman are coming close to some object (Control panel for example), the list of available actions will pop up.

For an examlpe, when the selected crewman coming close to reactors control panel, available actions will be open the control panel interface, see what components of panel are damaged, or repair it
Sashkakuhta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 04:48 AM   #426
Fanwek
Nub

Default 2 questions

2 questions, how do i turn the periscope, and is there a way to get rid of the dead bodies? a fire broke out in the torpedo room, and one of the crew members wasn't so lucky...
Fanwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 07:49 AM   #427
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashkakuhta View Post
when selected crewman are coming close to some object (Control panel for example), the list of available actions will pop up.

For an examlpe, when the selected crewman coming close to reactors control panel, available actions will be open the control panel interface, see what components of panel are damaged, or repair it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanwek View Post
2 questions, how do i turn the periscope, and is there a way to get rid of the dead bodies? a fire broke out in the torpedo room, and one of the crew members wasn't so lucky...
Welcome Aboard

Old 01-04-15, 10:03 AM   #428
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome Fanwek & Sashkakuhta

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 04:06 PM   #429
Fanwek
Nub

Default thanks

thanks to all of you for the welcome, its been a while since i played a game that has a community that has welcomed me this warmly.
Fanwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 07:27 PM   #430
Bigulp
Nub

Hello, been enjoying this great game for a while. Recently went to try make my own custom sub, unfortunately I have been getting an illegal memory address error when ever I try to launch sub viewer. I'm not sure what other details I can give to help with this bug report. I looked around for solutions but wasn't able to find any that worked. Thank you for the effort and excellent game.
Bigulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-15, 03:50 AM   #431
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashkakuhta View Post

That's a very interesting idea, I'll definitely put it on the list of things to try. It would certainly make difficult tasks like repairing the reactors easier. It could be interesting as a multiplayer game mode too... maybe one day

Quote:
In Sub Commander, the periscope basically shows a map of everything surrounding your submarine in a radius of several nautical miles... imagine the crewman is constantly turning the periscope and reporting what he sees. So you can't actually manually turn the periscope, because it is unnecessary.

Early versions of the game had a very primitive 3D view through the periscope, but it was not very useful and it looked pretty bad so I replaced it with the 2D birds eye view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigulp View Post
Hello, been enjoying this great game for a while. Recently went to try make my own custom sub, unfortunately I have been getting an illegal memory address error when ever I try to launch sub viewer. I'm not sure what other details I can give to help with this bug report. I looked around for solutions but wasn't able to find any that worked. Thank you for the effort and excellent game.
Welcome! That error usually means that the program was unable to open or read one of the files it requires. In the case of the sub viewer, this means it could not read either:
  • sub.sub
  • objects.ini
  • systems.ini
  • areas.ini
Make sure all four of these files are in the same directory as sub_viewer.exe. The sub.sub file is created by the sub editor when you make a sub, all of the others should be copied from an existing submarine (the default one, for example).

If the sub viewer still crashes with all four files present, please email me the sub.sub file you created (subcommandergame@gmail.com) and I'll take a look.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-15, 06:12 AM   #432
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Welcome Aboard Bigulp

Old 01-05-15, 11:23 AM   #433
JerikTelorian
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Conveniently, if you refit at port, dead crew members will be buried and replaced by their identical twin brothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeoff
There was a small bug causing occasional crashes during nuclear wars.
For some reason I'm just loving "small bug" and "nuclear wars" in the same sentence.

Thanks for all your work on this Geoff, hope you took a break and had a good new year.
JerikTelorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-15, 06:15 PM   #434
Bigulp
Nub

Thanks for the welcome guys. TheGeoff you solved my problem perfectly, thank you.
Bigulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-15, 06:19 PM   #435
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM Bigulp

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote