Old 04-20-20, 11:03 AM   #1861
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

This is what Franklin Graham had to say

Franklin Graham

Quote:
Canada has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, so many people can’t understand how a horrible shooting like this can occur with those laws in place.
But criminals don’t obey the laws. Gun laws don’t stop people from doing evil things.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 02:33 PM   #1862
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Very sorry to hear this.
I wonder if it will ever come out what drove this man to commit such senseless murder

I am sure that all his thoughts and actions will be micro analysed enough that it will serve as both a critique and a How To manual for the next nut.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 03:20 PM   #1863
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I am sure that all his thoughts and actions will be micro analysed enough that it will serve as both a critique and a How To manual for the next nut.

I once saw a license plate that said " Fight crime, shoot back."

I liked it a lot. I'm not sure what the answer is and we have discussed this before in this forum. I do know that intelligent, reasonable and sane people that are armed make poor targets.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 08:00 PM   #1864
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post

I liked it a lot. I'm not sure what the answer is and we have discussed this before in this forum. I do know that intelligent, reasonable and sane people that are armed make poor targets.

...and we do know that unintelligent, unreasonable and insane people that are armed are just as likely to shoot poor targets, armed or not...

...just ask the family of the armed, slain RCMP constable...

<O>
Old 04-20-20, 09:37 PM   #1865
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:

Taking guns away from innocent people because of the actions of a nut is like kicking the cat because the dog crapped on the carpet.
Old 04-20-20, 10:56 PM   #1866
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
...and we do know that unintelligent, unreasonable and insane people that are armed are just as likely to shoot poor targets, armed or not...

...just ask the family of the armed, slain RCMP constable...

<O>

Precisely my point. If people are armed, at least they stand a fighting chance when confronted by a nut like this.

Quote:
Taking guns away from innocent people because of the actions of a nut is like kicking the cat because the dog crapped on the carpet.
I never said anything about taking guns away from anyone. In fact, I said well armed people make poor targets.
Old 04-21-20, 02:04 AM   #1867
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Sure, but if some maniac carries his gun concealed and gets close to his victim, which chance does this armed victim have to act in time, e.g. in a crowd? Mistrust every other human within possible gun range? You are never safe against maniacs.

Guns or no guns, pathological cases will always find a way to wreak havoc. If all have guns they will use explosives like with the Oklahoma city bombing or whatever.

Maybe August 'misunderstood' (intentionally of course), that i moan the shooting of the mass murderer. I do not. But i think it would be good for mankind if it knew what makes those people tick, if only to prevent more of this carnage.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 04-21-20 at 02:34 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 07:18 AM   #1868
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Sure, but if some maniac carries his gun concealed and gets close to his victim, which chance does this armed victim have to act in time, e.g. in a crowd? Mistrust every other human within possible gun range? You are never safe against maniacs.

Guns or no guns, pathological cases will always find a way to wreak havoc. If all have guns they will use explosives like with the Oklahoma city bombing or whatever.

Maybe August 'misunderstood' (intentionally of course), that i moan the shooting of the mass murderer. I do not. But i think it would be good for mankind if it knew what makes those people tick, if only to prevent more of this carnage.
I don't disagree with you, Kai. As is being reported in the Nova Scotia shooting, there are multiple crime scenes. Something is driving the stupid mentality that compels people to engage in the carnage we are seeing today and at Nova Scotia. Maybe in this case, the isolation with regards to Covid-19 in conjunction with other factors like mental defects drove this act. Who really knows.

My point is that if a lunatic like this one is shooting a number of people in one location, then the legally armed individual has a means to defend themselves or at least make the active shooter pause long enough so that they and others can be afforded the opportunity to escape. This way, trained individuals like law enforcement, with the equipment and training, can effectively deal with the situation without worrying about harming innocent bystanders.

I think generally, the people I meet out on the street and in business are like the people here. Reasonable, intelligent and more likely to buy you a beer at the pub and tell you funny stories and watch a sporting event with you than harm you in any way. In that way, I think Subsim members are a cross section of society. I'm sure my experiences are no different than anyone else here.

Meaning, as August was alluding to I think, that crazy people make up a very small percentage of the population. I know a number of our Subsim members go legally armed and I don't hear of them harming anyone. They do so to protect themselves, their families and possibly others, if they are in harms way. That being said, I'm sure they are as prepared as one can be for the mindless events such as random shootings.

I think if people want to get their aggression's out, they should play a submarine or aerial combat game. Perhaps give whack-a squirrel a go. I would have said watch a Hockey game but the rest of the paused NHL season is in doubt. If they do that, they should pick a winning NHL team to watch or they will be very sad.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-21-20 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-21-20, 08:16 AM   #1869
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ Thanks yes, i understand and agree, mostly. I am also not "anti-gun", i can handle a few and also admire craftmanship. It just makes me feel uneasy to see those weapons in civilian life in the hands of people i would call .."unprofessional" for lack of a better word .
Quote:
[...] My point is that if a lunatic like this one is shooting a number of people in one location, then the legally armed individual has a means to defend themselves or at least make them pause long enough so that they and others can be afforded the opportunity to escape. This way, trained individuals like like law enforcement, with the equipment and training, can effectively deal with the situation without worrying about harming innocent bystanders.[...]
Sounds reasonable. So carry a weapon as an emergency means to deal with (hopefully rare) "maniac situations". If all people behave reasonable that may work. But when i look at the US and headlines i doubt the reason in some.

Good ideas anyway
And maybe i indeed misunderstood August here.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 03:51 PM   #1870
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
I never said anything about taking guns away from anyone. In fact, I said well armed people make poor targets.

I was agreeing with you and extending the line of reasoning further.
Old 04-21-20, 03:54 PM   #1871
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:

What is this, misunderstand August day? I didn't claim that you moaned (i'm guessing you meant "bemoaned") the shooting of a mass murderer, how the heck did you get that from what I wrote? I was just commenting that if this follows every other mass murder all the psychoanalyzing and fact finding will only serve to inspire the next mass murderer.
Old 04-21-20, 05:07 PM   #1872
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
I was agreeing with you and extending the line of reasoning further.
Oh, I know August and I was pointing out the soundness of your reasoning as well so it's all good.

I was pointing out that someone that is also armed can in some cases slow down or stop an attack like this. I think you said something similar perhaps a year ago and nothing has changed my mind on that.

Taking weapons from law abiding citizens isn't the answer. Something else I think you said. So, we are on the same page.

With regards to stopping senseless attacks like the one in Nova Scotia, I wish we all knew the answer to that one.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 04-21-20 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-02-20, 11:11 AM   #1873
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Canada solves their mass shooting problem

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 01:44 PM   #1874
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:

Yeah, from the front and assuming they have time to react.

But everyone has equal vulnerability from attacks from the rear.

If we could only convince criminals to not only attack from the front but to announce their intentions, we might have something
Old 05-02-20, 04:21 PM   #1875
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Yeah, from the front and assuming they have time to react.

But everyone has equal vulnerability from attacks from the rear.

If we could only convince criminals to not only attack from the front but to announce their intentions, we might have something
all I can say is WOW....

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 05-02-20 at 05:31 PM.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun control, guns, radio wave madness