SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-11, 04:16 PM   #481
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

That's what I understood a bit too late.
All content of posted msg's are known stuff to everybody.

The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 04:23 PM   #482
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Neal, when all is said and done can you supply a night by night account of what actions took place? Who killed who?

Yes, we can, and all players, in and out of the game should wait until the game is over before discussing the tactics and maneuvers they used and saw from other players. Just one more day, I bet.
Old 06-30-11, 04:36 PM   #483
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
Oh come on... if in the game thread Andy and Bob were comparing claw size and saying 'No, no, I insist you kill Charlie and I take Dave'... would you seriously not vote for Andy or Bob for werewolves?

Anything in the game thread is public. Private is what PMs are for. Don't get hung up on the Role play, as excellent as it is, as it will kill the gameplay, which is based on official events and the rules.

Last game we had someone who invented a 'werefish test' which people were lynched because of... almost screwed the game completely because one of the werefish drank the bug juice and hardly anyone would believe the test wasn't genuine. Of course it was a pure fabrication, it took some persuading that it wasn't real (official). Anything anyone says in the threads is public knowledge (you can listen at keyholes, or overhear or whatever for role play) - I think this is the reason that Rear started using the PA system - because people complained that they hadn't been told stuff. His reward for trying to make the game thread accessible to everyone? A bullet to the face.
Nobody is realistically going to openly admit he is a werewolf on the game thread, therefore that is moot. If someone did that, I would vote for them, but only out of character. Similarly, if you're going to present a theory based off of knowledge your character can't possibly have, you can always do so out of character...

Well, it could be just me, since the hunt itself doesn't interest me that much and so I mostly play the game for the role-playing (Which I do enjoy a lot).

BTW, did anyone take the bug juice test seriously last game (Out of character, I mean)? I most certainly did not.
Old 06-30-11, 04:44 PM   #484
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Yes they did take it seriously. Massively so. I had to go through the entire thread to find an instance where Silverraptor had drunk bug juice until Tarjak would believe it wasn't a true test.

But, others also like an excuse to lynch. So, when Vendor is declared a non-combatant and out of the game, the reaction was to vote to lynch him. This is a 'nice' thing to do, as it doesn't 'spoil' the game for any player still active, but on the other hand you've been told that Vendor won't be playing and even if he is a werewolf cannot attack you, so the choice comes down to someone who cannot attack you and anyone else who possibly could be a werewolf and definately will attack you.

People chose the person who definately would not attack them, versus the person who possibly could.
Old 06-30-11, 04:50 PM   #485
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I'm too young to die!!! I'm just the damn gardener!
Old 06-30-11, 05:03 PM   #486
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

What Nisgeis said about the sympathy vote against Vendor is totally true in my case - but I have the excuse of never having done one of these games before so had no idea what to expect.
I think tactics definatly need to come before (but not at the expense of) roleplay. the_enigma's knowledge that he uses in his tirade at AVG could have come from many different sources - incidental "Oh by the way..." comments from people around him... these shouldn't need to be RP'd to advance the story...

Plus, it makes some damn good reading!
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 05:05 PM   #487
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

You're right Tinman. I wish we could have worked together . At the end of the best game almost everyone (if not a sole survivor) is dead. Bring on the body count!
Old 06-30-11, 05:06 PM   #488
Tarrasque
Lieutenant

Downloads: 44

Well this one has almost gone to the limit.
Tarrasque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 05:10 PM   #489
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

It will be very tricky for the werewolves to get Jimbuna and Mookie lynched .
Old 06-30-11, 05:14 PM   #490
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

I agree that not every piece of information has to be RPed to be learned by a character, unless they want it to be so. My problem is with information that they could never have come by. For example, in the beginning of the game, if the Germans held up in their castle and never told the British about a murder, the British could not possibly know about it, but if a German strolled by and told it to one of the Brits, then the knowledge would spread easily enough to the rest of the British players. If you somehow get to know in-character something like a character's thoughts at some point, or some random minor background event that happened when you weren't present and nobody would otherwise note, then that's somewhat more problematic.

EDIT: Problematic for me, of course. Don't mind my ranting.
Old 06-30-11, 05:30 PM   #491
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

What's the normal rule as far as PMing someone in a game? Do people normally RP a whisper, or a secret note or are PM's totally secret?

I saw in the 1st hunt a lot of RP'd PM's, but not seen anything in this one though there must be a fair amount going on
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 05:35 PM   #492
Bakkels
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 6

I thought I've seen some hints to pm-ing going on in the game thread, but indeed, not as much as in the first hunt. Neal didn't mention restrictions about that, if you want (or wanted) to PM someone, you were free to do so and not mention it in the game thread.
Bakkels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 05:36 PM   #493
Tarrasque
Lieutenant

Downloads: 44

Some of mine have been RPed. The latter ones where the werewolves are about to win and lynch the innocent people have been a bit more urgent and nor RPed
Tarrasque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 05:48 PM   #494
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Now that i'm out of it I can say that I didn't really follow the game last time so the idea that nothing anyone posted actually affected the game play came as a surprise to me.

It's kind of embarrassing to admit this but for most of the game I really had believed that if I could verify someones location and status all night, pulling a guard shift with someone for example, and they didn't turn into a werewolf in front of my eyes (as it were) then for sure they weren't one.

The change between human and wolf form as well as the historically typical werewolf behavior (ripping the lungs out of anyone and everyone they can get their claws on) would be an impossible event to miss (or survive), at least it would be in any book or movie werewolf representation that I'd ever heard of. Same thing with the game werewolves ability to get past any defenses no matter how impervious. Heck, even Lon Chaney Jr. could be stopped by a stout door and a good lock!

So I played the game based on that idea, thereby casting undue suspicion against those who would deliberately separate themselves from the rest of the group. (Sorry Rear. ), as well as undue trust in those who would seek to band together with others. Now I know that such devices are useless if I ever participate in this game again, i'll do so without saying or reading anything outside of official storyline posts from Neal.

This has been a lot more fun than I originally thought it would be when Neal invited me to play but without player interaction meaning something there are (to the plain human player at least) an insufficient number of reliable clues with which to accurately base decisions about anyone's guilt or innocence.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 05:54 PM   #495
Bakkels
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 6

Well you were called in at the last minute, so it's nothing to be embarrassed about. I thought it was weird too at first, and I had to read back the first werewolf hunt to really understand how it is played. I guess you weren't given the time to do that.
Bakkels is offline   Reply With Quote