SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-15, 10:13 AM   #1
genaro
Swabbie

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0
Default MOD REAL NAVIGATION GWX3.0

Someone can tell me a mod. Type: no_sub map for the GWX 3.0
Thank You
genaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 02:04 PM   #2
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

I use this:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vl...7/hide_VIIc.7z

It hides type VIIc u-boats from the map. I can't remember who did the mod. There might be a "hide U-boat" mod somewhere in the downloads section.
Old 04-10-15, 02:11 AM   #3
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
I use this:

It hides type VIIc u-boats from the map. I can't remember who did the mod. There might be a "hide U-boat" mod somewhere in the downloads section.
And how do you fix your position on the map?
By dead reckoning only? For the entire patrol length?
I would like very much to hear (read) a description about how you manage the "real navigation" part of your patrols... I do not remember if you already wrote about it here in the forum, in that case if you could point me to the relevant thread I will appreciate it very much!
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-15, 06:02 AM   #4
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

The stars, sun, the helmsman not keeping the set compass direction in lower TC's and game clock are all flawed in SH3, which makes real navigation impossible. One can simulate a kind of real navigation by letting the boat drift to the estimated direction and then finding out the real position by cheating if the weather is clear and would have allowed a fix by using a sextant. If one CTRL+clicks the map view it will place the u-boat under the mouse cursor.

Having the u-boat off the map is more useful when attacking. One can't use plotting as easily as can be done if one knows exactly where one's u-boat is. That forces one to learn real life maneuvering board and/or attack disc techniques.
Old 04-10-15, 08:40 AM   #5
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
The stars, sun, the helmsman not keeping the set compass direction in lower TC's and game clock are all flawed in SH3, which makes real navigation impossible.
Yes, in part I realized it by myself playing the game and observing the sky and in part I know it by reading this forum. That's why I'm asking how you do it...

Quote:
. One can simulate a kind of real navigation by letting the boat drift to the estimated direction and then finding out the real position by cheating if the weather is clear and would have allowed a fix by using a sextant. If one CTRL+clicks the map view it will place the u-boat under the mouse cursor.

Having the u-boat off the map is more useful when attacking. One can't use plotting as easily as can be done if one knows exactly where one's u-boat is. That forces one to learn real life maneuvering board and/or attack disc techniques.
Umph, I do not like it. What if, for any reason, you need to observe the map in the same area where the uboat is located? I'd like to try real navigation, but not with this limitations...

Last edited by banryu79; 04-10-15 at 10:09 AM. Reason: some typos...
Old 04-10-15, 10:15 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

If you want to do celestial navigation based on the game then you need external planetarium software to properly get the altitude of celestial objects.

Years ago for SH4 6SJ7GT made a Python script that took the 0th waypoint coordinates out of a savegame file and converted it to real-world longitude and latitude coordinates. The script also asked the user for time and date to make a observation situation script for Stellarium. Then viewing the sky in the Stellarium software and recording the height angle (altitude) of several objects it was possible to make a fairly accurate position fix using an almanac and a calculation sheet covering the years of the war. The fix could then be plotted manually on the in-game map, or on a piece of graph paper.

As the coordinates in the planetarium give true stationary positions (refracted if configured right) it doesn't account for the wobblyness of a moving submarine deck while at sea. But you can always add your own random fudge-factors to it to make life hard on yourself.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ght=Stellarium

It's probably not compatible anymore with the latest version of Stellarium. They changed the way to make handle situation scripts I think. Or the links to the web-based almanacs are dead I think. I didn't do this myself all that often to be honest. It turns out I'm a lazy navigator.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-15, 10:52 AM   #7
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
If you want to do celestial navigation based on the game then you need external planetarium software to properly get the altitude of celestial objects.

Years ago for SH4 6SJ7GT made a Python script that took the 0th waypoint coordinates out of a savegame file and converted it to real-world longitude and latitude coordinates. The script also asked the user for time and date to make a observation situation script for Stellarium. Then viewing the sky in the Stellarium software and recording the height angle (altitude) of several objects it was possible to make a fairly accurate position fix using an almanac and a calculation sheet covering the years of the war. The fix could then be plotted manually on the in-game map, or on a piece of graph paper.

As the coordinates in the planetarium give true stationary positions (refracted if configured right) it doesn't account for the wobblyness of a moving submarine deck while at sea. But you can always add your own random fudge-factors to it to make life hard on yourself.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ght=Stellarium

It's probably not compatible anymore with the latest version of Stellarium. They changed the way to make handle situation scripts I think. Or the links to the web-based almanacs are dead I think. I didn't do this myself all that often to be honest. It turns out I'm a lazy navigator.
To be honest I do not desire such a level of simulation, I only would like a little bit of 'immersion' in the aspect of 'real' navigation to play the game in a little more intresting manner.

My ideal wuold be a command to ask to your Navigation Officer for a celestial fix and with that position you could start over agian with dead reckoning.

It would be wonderful if the game engine would just let us swap on-the-fly (toggle) the icon that in the Navigational Map represent our uboat with an empty one version and back then.
That would be enough for me, I'm intresting only on the "dead reckoning" aspect and the releted uncertainites (and simplified course and manouver you will choose to use during patrol operations to minimize your position errors) and then, once a day (for example) have a better fix to start over again.

An idea: the game is able to place on map the icon for a (radioed) contact. If there was a way to force it to place a 'contact' icon on the current location of our uboat...
Old 04-12-15, 04:30 PM   #8
Laufen zum Ziel
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 853
Uploads: 457

Default WELCOME

Old 04-13-15, 12:09 PM   #9
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

You purists can have your real navigation, I like the game just being the game on this point.
Old 04-13-15, 12:37 PM   #10
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Well, to tell the truth I do not consider myself a purist, I'm just intrigued about a "game mechanic" I could find interesting and/or fun to experience...

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx
I use this:

What the... I've just realized this mod do exactly what I need and your following explanations about CTRL+left click in the Nav Map suddenly make perfect sense... My head is not working well lately, d'ho!

Last edited by banryu79; 04-15-15 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-13-15, 05:29 PM   #11
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

Nonetheless, there are those who really want their gaming experiences to get as close as possible to the actual task of waging sub-surface war against floating commerce.
I wouldn't want to take things that far, at times, less complicated is better.
Old 06-24-19, 06:09 AM   #12
Eikson
Seaman

Downloads: 54

How do you circumvent the issue of being unable to see radar contacts/radar warnings?

For the hydrophones it's not as big of a deal since you can listen yourself, but you cannot view the radar (right?) or the FuMo.
Eikson is offline   Reply With Quote