SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-11-08, 04:08 PM   #1
stormrider_sp
Planesman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default Sir, Ship contact 200m closing.

I'm playing operation monsun and some wierd crew behavior started happening.

Sometimes my crew spots ships 15km away, sometimes they dont see them even if they're 200m away. Is it a normal AI behavior or a bug?

Today I was playing and first I literaly stumbled on an enemy merchant ship. Later on, I was sunk by a plane which my crew didnt spotted aswell, even if it was a loud one on a clear blue sky.
stormrider_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 09:00 PM   #2
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 0

i have come to the conclusion that all my crew both german and american, are complete, deaf, dumb, blind retards. My sound guys cant even find a merchant when i can sit at the hydrophones and hear a contact PLAIN as day. Fargin dumb shatz!

Last edited by Factor; 12-11-08 at 09:02 PM.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 11:26 PM   #3
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider_sp
I'm playing operation monsun and some wierd crew behavior started happening.

Sometimes my crew spots ships 15km away, sometimes they dont see them even if they're 200m away. Is it a normal AI behavior or a bug?

Today I was playing and first I literaly stumbled on an enemy merchant ship. Later on, I was sunk by a plane which my crew didnt spotted aswell, even if it was a loud one on a clear blue sky.
From the "first post" of OM thread
Quote:
SPECIAL NOTE:

During testing of RFB 1.52 and operational game play of Operation Monsun Patch 3 and above, a visual detection issue with stock Silent Hunter 4 was discovered. Under a defined set of conditions, the game will consistently fail to report certain ships within visual range even though the player can see these ships. There may be cases where the player’s submarine is within 1000 yards / meters of a contact without the game generating a visual contact report. The causes of this issue are as follows:

- The values used in the “Visual” section of Sensors.cfg
- The true position of the ship from the Sub
- The date of the mission
- The latitude and longitude of the player’s submarine

What does this mean to the user?

If you are in the Northern Hemisphere (Latitude 25 degrees north or above) in the winter (November, December January), the game may not generate the ship/s location on the navigation and attack maps. The periscope’s ability to stay locked on a ship that is located clockwise from approximately bearing 280 true to bearing 050 true from the sub will be reduced to short periods of around 20 seconds before disconnecting. Once the ship in question moves south of the sub’s position the game will then allow unaffected auto TDC lock. It should be noted that the further north you go, the larger the non-detection area becomes. However, if you are in the same location in the summer (May, June, and July) you may not see this issue at all.

If you are on the equator you will see all contacts no matter what the date is.

If you are in the Southern Hemisphere, the reverse of the effect in the Northern Hemisphere applies in the winter (latitude 25 degrees south or below). From June to August the game may not generate a ship’s given location on the navigation and attack maps. The periscope’s ability to stay locked on a ship that is located clockwise from bearing 110 true to bearing 250 true from the sub will be reduced to the above-mentioned period of approximately 20 seconds. Once the ship in question moves north of the sub’s position the system will then allow unaffected auto TDC lock. It should be noted that the further south you go the larger the non-detection area becomes. In addition, as with the Northern Hemisphere if you are in the same location in the summer (November, December, and January) you may not see this issue at all.

With the addition of the NYGM AI Visual Sensor Mod and Submarine Visual Sensor Mod, this issue has been significantly magnified. Therefore, the player will have to act like a real captain and actually look through the periscope and conduct 360-degree scans to confirm the location and/or number of the ships instead of having all ships instantly and magically appear in real time. The NYGM Submarine Visual Sensor Mod's unintended result of reducing the real time satellite ability of the submarine AI to display the ships on your navigation map down to the meter/yard and the degree of ships the player doesn't even know are there adds to the “realistic uncertainty” of RFB’s game play. When using Silent Hunter 4’s “automatic targeting” option, the player will still have to work for every sinking, which is another selling point for those who want the auto TDC but disliked its 1000% accuracy.

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 12-11-08 at 11:27 PM.
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote