Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-10-20, 07:54 PM   #1
ShortRound
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Where to buy

Im sorry if this has been asked a million times but I would like to buy a copy of SH5 and SH3 but in reading some of the posts here it looks like there are some versions that may cause trouble with mod installation. I can buy the games on Steam but is that the best place to get a modable copy? If not could you recommend a good place? Again, sorry if this has been asked a million times.

Semper Pratus
Short Round
ShortRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-20, 07:55 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

ShortRound!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-20, 07:22 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I have heard that the Steam version can/may cause trouble with some mods, I have not experienced it myself, but my latest round of SH4 I only modded it lightly. You can still get a version from Amazon, it is download but I don't know if that's different than Steam.
Old 04-11-20, 08:46 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Steam is the only provider I know about, there may be others without my knowledge. Old DVD versions from Amanzon or e-Bay may NOT work because they require a login to a server that doesn't exist anymore, and U-Play, the current existing server may not accept logins from new users that use the login data of the old game owner, so be careful, you may aquire a useless DVD.

I would go with the Steam version, it's compatible with the most important megamod Wolfes of Steel, you would need to update the game to 1.2.0 and apply the mod as for the detailed instructions. There is a fix to apply for the U-Play update, read the TWoS section and ask a question there if necessary. Also on Steam you can buy a bundle including all important SH series for a reduced price I think.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-11-20 at 08:55 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 12:46 AM   #5
Singed
Sailbad the Sinner

Downloads: 126

OK wow, first post in ages! Quarantine has me dusting off some stuff i haven't messed with in a while.

I'm currently using the Steam version of SH5 with TWOS and it runs pretty well if you follow all of the instructions for the TWOS install and campaign start to the letter.

There are a couple tweaks I had to do with Windows 10, Windows 7 compatibility mode and run as administrator for sure, one other with graphics and I can't remember it off the top of my head but the fix is on Subsim, i found it here.

I literally just did this last week to get playing again after several years away so the knowledge is fresh, PM me or reply here if you have problems, maybe I can help.
Singed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 02:38 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

Singed!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-20, 06:40 PM   #7
Singed
Sailbad the Sinner

Downloads: 126
Default Why Thank You Sir!

Singed is offline   Reply With Quote