SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-06-09, 06:43 AM   #1
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Default Vista users....

I have Vista 64 now and I find something strange. I loaded up SH4 and COD waw. For some reason, a desktop icon for the games do not appear. Any reason why Vista does not allow a desktop icon to appear after the game is installed?
Old 01-06-09, 07:19 AM   #2
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Some installers were pre-vista and did not / do not put a desktop shortcut up. Make sure you set the desktop itself to classic view. Also if an icon doesn't appear, its easiest to create the icon thru sending one to the desktop from the start menu.

One really big word of advice - with vista 64 there are 2 program files folders - do NOT install programs to either one. While that is the default location with many programs - its much better to place them elsewhere - in a "games" folder or something off the root.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 07:55 AM   #3
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I see. What I did was was find the .exe file and made a short cut to the desktop. Why should I not load a game to the program files? I do see program files and then a second program files (X86). Currently my two games are loaded to the (X86) program files. Both work fine. So, what is the benefit of loading games to a games file?

Just a quick look at this (X86) file apparently handles 32 bit games/applications. The other program file handles 64 bit applications. Some say you can load to X86 without issue. Other say make a different folder. At any rate, if the game runs 64 bit the computer will run it at 64 bit no matter where the file is loaded. Anyway, running SH4 in X86 I was able to load up JSGME and get mods working etc. Seems ok to me.

I have also just read that the X86 program files are protected files and some games can not save the 'game save' function. I was able to save SH4 without issue. Unless there is a super valid reason to move SH4 out of X86, I will leave it there. My next game I will create a games folder.

Last edited by AVGWarhawk; 01-06-09 at 08:24 AM.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 11:30 AM   #4
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
I have Vista 64 now and I find something strange. I loaded up SH4 and COD waw. For some reason, a desktop icon for the games do not appear. Any reason why Vista does not allow a desktop icon to appear after the game is installed?
More recent games will place a shortcut in the Games folder that is attached to your Start menu. Others, like SH4 wont sometimes show up at all, as you said.

As far as the directory structures goes: No idea. Haven't noticed any difference at all. It might be that they are just named differently so you can see what are the new folders, if you had a previous Windows version. But thats just my guess, of course.
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 12:06 PM   #5
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

I installed SH4 on my 32bit vista and realized that it didn't create a folder in the start panel nor did it create a icon on my desktop, so I had to go looking through my program files to find it and create a shortcut of it.
Spike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 01:36 PM   #6
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

That is what I did. The games loaded to the program files X86. I navigated to the just the program files and nothing there. I then navigated to the X86 files and that is were I found them. I was busy not paying attention to where I was loading the darn things. Anyway, I did just that, sent a short cut to the desktop. However, I did not use the SH4.exe icon. I used the GU.exe that was loaded with the 1.5 add on. Worked fine. As far as COD waw, I just load the disc and the splash screen loads and I click play.
Old 01-06-09, 02:38 PM   #7
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I just went to install Microsoft FSX on my Vista and it won't let me. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

It has a conflict with the software. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

And Billy wants me to buy Windows 7 ?

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 03:12 PM   #8
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

I think Il give windows 7 a couple of months/year before I get it. (The end product might not be that great, buggy mess.):hmm:

What are the main differences between 64 and 32 bit.
Old 01-06-09, 03:59 PM   #9
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force
I think Il give windows 7 a couple of months/year before I get it. (The end product might not be that great, buggy mess.):hmm:

I guess it makes things look better ?

I think I maybe didn't need Ultimate 64.

I built a new hi-end gameing rig use only and went with the flow.

I did a dual boot to keep my XP.

I think XP is more gamer user friendly. Especially for beginners without big computer software experience.

Old 01-06-09, 04:11 PM   #10
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Quote:

If MS is really serious this time (They would be idiots not to keep this high performance and staleness) I would say at max 2-3 months and not a whole year until SP1.

Getting away from Vista is worth any slight bugs it will have at that point.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 06:20 PM   #11
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar
Quote:

If MS is really serious this time (They would be idiots not to keep this high performance and staleness) I would say at max 2-3 months and not a whole year until SP1.

Getting away from Vista is worth any slight bugs it will have at that point.

Main differences between 64 and 32 bit

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-news/9...-just-ram.html

Reading up on Windows 7, apparently it is very fast. I do not know much more about it. As far as XP being more gamer friendly, for now it is. In the very near future, Vista/Windows 7 will be the OS to have for gaming. Remember back to XP and deciding to dump Windows 98 because it seemed more user friendly. I have used Vista for 2 days. Maybe 4 hours total. Navigating is very easy. Files and such are much like XP, MS just has you navigate to them a bit differently. Heck, you can change it all to the classic view (XP). I have SH4 loaded and rolling all the mods. COD waw is working just fine. Personally, I like Vista 64 and glad I purchased the OS.

I built a high end gaming machine. Phenom X4 9850, 4 gig DDR2 and EVGA 9800GT vid card. Coolmaster Hyper TX2 CPU cooler and three 120mm case fans. All powered with 600 watt PS. It does not even burp when I fire up SH4. Vista 64 OS installed.

From my readings, 64 bit is the way the industry is going. I have a IE icon for IE 64. Does not work on most sights as they are still 32 bit. But, eventually they will have to go 64.
Old 01-06-09, 06:24 PM   #12
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
AVG - there are really good reasons not to install games to Program Files or Program Files (x86) - its because of vista permissions scheme and its good in theory/bad in practice shadow copy.

First - the Program Files folders are protected via permissions. Installs pften require you run them with admin level priviledges (this assumes your normal logon does not have elevated or admin rights to the box) and if the sftw installs - then runs from the installer (as many applications do) - the first run of the sftw is at the elevated permission level. Because its in the "protected" program files directory, things such as config files are written - and then when the app is run as normal (via user level permission) - these configuration files will not be permanently changed as they should. This causes things like - first run graphix autodetect - you exit - patch your game - go back in - decide hey - I want to run at a higher resolution - or change texture detail, etc. Its possible that you can make the changes - save and run fine - but next time you open the game - your back at the "detected" settings - because the game couldn't correct/rewrite the config files because of permissions and file location.

The other bugger is windows "shadow copy" mess. The idea is sound - it keeps a backup copy of a file just in case something screws up. Bad implimentation means you might edit a file - and see it in the right place - but it won't work as edited - but rather works like the default file did. This is because windows is using a shadow copy of the file - the ORIGINAL file at that - in an effort to "protect" you. You have to track down the shadow copy and blow IT away to get your "new" file to work right.

This doesn't happen with everything - its a bit quirky - but it can and has caused people alot of problems. Keeping things OUT of the "protected" files area keeps headaches from happening.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 06:27 PM   #13
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

@ AVG How about SH-3 ?

I put it in my User folder. Seems to work ok.

Copied it over from XP folder. No icon on DT but I use SHC to start anyways.

Old 01-06-09, 06:57 PM   #14
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I have not played SH3 for over 2 years. I could not tell you how it runs but others with Vista say it works just fine. Yes, no desktop icon. I just find the program folder and make a short cut .exe to the desktop. You can do that off the programs list also off the start button. That is trivial in my book. I was just play COD single player and online. Man, single player is just nuts.
Old 01-06-09, 07:49 PM   #15
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Granted if you have a monster computer Vista will run fine. but not for long however. As whatever extra performance gained from being ahead of software makers will likely end in 09 as things like the HL2 ESP 3 engine and such.

The only way to get around it a bit is to go in and spend hour after hour figuring out what you can safely disable. Even on XP this is a priority if your computer is pre-2006. I can play SH4 only due to going as far as replacing the shell with Blackbox. (A lightweight *nix shell)

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote