SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-19, 03:14 AM   #1
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
radar Mark 18 torpedos availability and loading

I know I’m a bit early in my career since it’s still 1942 but when can I expect Mark 18s to become available and how do I load them on to the boat? Am I given a choice when in home port?

Those Mark 14s are too easily spotted in convoys when targeting anything other than lead ships.

Last edited by skirich; 08-24-19 at 07:26 AM.
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-19, 10:41 AM   #2
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Torpedo dates & stats

Here are dates and stats that I believe to be correct:

Mark 10 available immediately. 3200m max distance at 36 knots

Mark 14 available immediately. 8200m max distance at 31 knots or
4100m max distance at 46 knots

Mark 23 available 1-1-43. 4100m max distance at 46 knots with slightly larger warhead than Mark 14

Mark 18 available 7-12-43. 3650m max distance at 29 knots

Mark 27 (homing) available 1-1-44. 4570m max distance at 12 knots

Mark 16 available 1-1-45. 12,500m at 46 knots

There's a mod called "Cheap and Early Torpedo Mod" that you might desire; earlier torpedo availability without the cost of renown.

Hope this is helpful, please double check my dates and stats for accuracy.
Old 08-24-19, 11:01 AM   #3
skirich
Chief

Thanks. How do I know I can get them and how do I load a mix?
Old 08-24-19, 11:09 AM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirich View Post
I know I’m a bit early in my career since it’s still 1942 but when can I expect Mark 18s to become available and how do I load them on to the boat? Am I given a choice when in home port?

Those Mark 14s are too easily spotted in convoys when targeting anything other than lead ships.
I got Mark 18s in June 43.
When they are available, you will see them on the torpedo load screen during your in port configuration.
You have to use renown (300 each) to get them.
A trick I learned from someone else here:
When returning to home port to end patrol, BEFORE YOU END, Refit, load torpedoes to tubes and Refit again. THEN ed patrol.
By ending patrol that way, you have the same number of each torpedo type that you had when you started that patrol. Otherwise you will have all Mark 14s and have to repurchase your 18s.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-19, 11:54 AM   #5
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirich View Post
Thanks. How do I know I can get them and how do I load a mix?
When in port between patrols you can purchase the Mk18 with Renown points in the Torpedo Room. Assuming the boat has been fully restocked with Mk14s in home port, to add Mk18s you need to click and drag each Mk14 from the tube to the "warehouse" to remove it then click and drag a Mk18 to the vacant slot.

You can set up any mix you want from the available fish. I have used 50/50 Mk14/Mk18s both in the tubes and on the racks as well as full loadout of Mk18s. I like the selectable speed of the Mk14, so tend to load them 100%.

NOTE: If the SUB MANAGEMENT (clipboard icon)/AUTO TORPEDO LOAD (torpedo icon) is lit, the game will reload the empty tubes from the top of the rack, regardless of which torpedo type was loaded in the tube. To get a desired reload distribution during gameplay you must deactivate the AUTO TORPEDO LOAD feature. This also means you must remember to manually reload each torpedo into the desired tube after firing. Forgetting to reload can be very embarrassing when setting up to attack the next convoy with empty tubes... Don't ask how I know...

HINT: If refitting away from home port you will get the torpedo load you started the patrol with at no Renown cost. (IMO the Renown scheme is a gameplay element that doesn't match reality, so I max out the Renown at the beginning of the game and press on)

Good hunting, Skipper!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-19, 02:26 PM   #6
skirich
Chief

Good info. Thanks guys.
Would you say the MK18 having no wake makes it more stealth for convoy attacks with multiple targets? What the advantage of a shorter range but electric torpedo?