SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-09, 09:05 AM   #1
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default UPS + com1 port connection problem

Hello,

I decided to give a try and install software for my UPS device today. But faced device detection problem on Win Xp. After I installed the software (Power X1 v.4.2) for Lestar UPS I have problems with software detecting UPS via com1 port. This com1 port cable was included into the original package of UPS device. But I think that connecting via usb would solve this problem. However I don't have usb cable yet. Any thoughts how to make it work on com1 ?
Old 03-22-09, 09:56 AM   #2
Kaleun
Chief

Downloads: 266
Uploads: 0

Punting a guess off the top of my head - the default setting for UPS service is WinXP is set to "manual" and therefore stopped by default. (sorry - i don't know your tech level ,so i'll go thru step by step)

Try start > run and type services.msc then scroll down to the service "Uninterruptible Power Supply" and set the Startup up type to "automatic" and then start the service via the Start button.

I hope this fixes your problem

Kaleun
Kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 11:52 AM   #3
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Couple of possibilities. Kaleun gave you a good one. Another is remember that Com 1 is often assigned by the Bios as the serial port on the MB. Most current MB's dont have a serial connection built on anymore, but the bios still has the settings so it assignes the resources even if the device isn't present.

Often people try to get around this issue if they need a com port by using a usb to serial adapter - but when you do - they usually default install to com 5 or above. If your using one of these, make sure you disable the com1 assign in Bios, then set the adapter to be com1.

The next thing - Microsoft in their wisdom decided that if you set your system to go into standby or hibernate - when it wakes back up - it does NOT wake the serial port. Make sure you reboot your PC before attempting to use com1 - as it might simply still be "asleep". This can and oftend does cause anything using com 1 - to fail. Sometimes an app calling com1 will wake the port back up - but that is kind of a random it may or may not thing.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 01:05 PM   #4
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleun View Post
Punting a guess off the top of my head - the default setting for UPS service is WinXP is set to "manual" and therefore stopped by default. (sorry - i don't know your tech level ,so i'll go thru step by step)

Try start > run and type services.msc then scroll down to the service "Uninterruptible Power Supply" and set the Startup up type to "automatic" and then start the service via the Start button.

I hope this fixes your problem

Kaleun
Thanks guys for the support.

I did changed "Uninterruptible Power Supply" to automatic. But not sure what you ment by "and then start the service via the Start button" ?
I've restarted my pc and checked if software detects UPS now, but no joy still message "UPS Disconnected"

Edited.

Ok I spoted now what you ment The service are now started but I had to configure UPS settings and enable com1 port there in winxp before I was allowed to start the service. After that I have shuted down my pc and turned off UPS for 10 sec. After I switched everything back software still don;t show any sighns of life. I'm totaly confused

Last edited by Contact; 03-22-09 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-22-09, 03:23 PM   #5
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

ok - lets start from the beginning.

The cable - being new and provided - we can rule out being an issue. They wouldn't provide a crossover by mistake either - so lets figure the issue is elsewhere.

Couple of things that can make the com port not function as intended. Check the documentation and see what baud rate the com port needs to be at. Often, this can be changed in your monitoring software. Find out what the default for the device/software is. Then go into device manager and make sure that the properties for the com port match. If the software is running at 9600, and the port is set to 2400 for example - your going to have issues.

Also double check the flow control for the port. If its set to hardware or Xon/Xoff, set it to none and reboot.

Also - provide model and data on the UPS - we may be able to research a bit more with that info if you need further help.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-22-09, 05:11 PM   #6
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
ok - lets start from the beginning.

The cable - being new and provided - we can rule out being an issue. They wouldn't provide a crossover by mistake either - so lets figure the issue is elsewhere.

Couple of things that can make the com port not function as intended. Check the documentation and see what baud rate the com port needs to be at. Often, this can be changed in your monitoring software. Find out what the default for the device/software is. Then go into device manager and make sure that the properties for the com port match. If the software is running at 9600, and the port is set to 2400 for example - your going to have issues.

Also double check the flow control for the port. If its set to hardware or Xon/Xoff, set it to none and reboot.

Also - provide model and data on the UPS - we may be able to research a bit more with that info if you need further help.

I assume if I can see com1 port in device manager it means that it works ok isn't it ?

Default speed of com1 port was already set to 9600 when I opened it, nothing else was changed by me. Picture is at it's original stage. However I was not able to find anything about baud rates in motherboard manual. (My motherboard type is Nvidia Nforce3 250 - 8kda7i10)

My UPS device is: Lestar MD-625 E.

Old 03-22-09, 09:18 PM   #7
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

I will do some research on that device.

As for it showing in the device manager - no that doesnt mean its working right - lots of things can go wrong with serial ports - but testing them means you need a good test app (which I can get you should you need it) and the ability to short pins on the port or on the cable.

I am tweaking this box with win7 at the moment - so give me a bit to research and let me see what I can find.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-22-09, 11:13 PM   #8
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I have a UPS, a few years old now but still works well & have just replaced the batteries, however I never used the DB9 connector before, I assume it must be to a com port, but what does it do?
Thanks.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 02:56 AM   #9
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I have a UPS, a few years old now but still works well & have just replaced the batteries, however I never used the DB9 connector before, I assume it must be to a com port, but what does it do?
Thanks.
With certain software it allows you to monitor your UPS status and lets to set some settings manually as well.
Old 03-23-09, 03:00 AM   #10
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I will do some research on that device.

As for it showing in the device manager - no that doesnt mean its working right - lots of things can go wrong with serial ports - but testing them means you need a good test app (which I can get you should you need it) and the ability to short pins on the port or on the cable.

I am tweaking this box with win7 at the moment - so give me a bit to research and let me see what I can find.
Yes I was thinking about testing this port somehow too. Should I google for test app ? Since I don't have anything elso to connect to com1 port to see does it work at all.
Old 03-23-09, 05:52 AM   #11
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

I can get you one - shoot me a pm with your email address and I will send it this eve, as well as some directions on how to test.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-24-09, 02:31 AM   #12
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ok you have a pm.
Old 03-25-09, 05:33 AM   #13
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I can get you one - shoot me a pm with your email address and I will send it this eve, as well as some directions on how to test.
Still waiting for it
Old 03-25-09, 06:28 PM   #14
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Hmm - sent it yesterday morning - lemme get back in there and resend.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-25-09, 07:44 PM   #15
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Found the problem - I copied the addy wrong - forgot the # - corrected and resent. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Captain Haplo