SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-20, 07:49 AM   #1
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Downloads: 322
Uploads: 0
Default Uncontrolled immersion what to do

In one of the many bitter drinks that this game gives us, If you stick your head in the mouth of a lion you will most likely lose it, if you try to penetrate a Japanese task force to sink one of their aircraft carriers, the same thing will probably happen to you. I suffered the persecution of several warships. Despite being 150 feet deep, a pass from one of them caused several damage to the bow. A bulkhead, transmission of the bow planes, torpedo tubes, etc. The point is that the submarine was tilted towards the bow and began to descend without being able to stop it. I set a dive, hit the A key but nothing. I only managed to reverse and blow the ballast tanks with the E key. This gave a partial result since the submarine went up again, but when the engines stopped it went down again. I repeated the operation several times and the compressed air reserve was running out, but luckily the damages mentioned were repaired and I was able to stay at a stable depth. My question to you who always help me with your wise advice, is the following: What did I do right? Was it the only thing she could do or was there something else? Thank you very much for your responses. Cheers!
jorgegonzalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 08:23 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Jorge, my first thought is:why only 150' ?
Deeper is better to avoid trouble, if you can, 100' or more below thermal.
Doesn't always work perfectly, but evades most DDs.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 09:14 AM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegonzalito View Post
In one of the many bitter drinks that this game gives us, If you stick your head in the mouth of a lion you will most likely lose it, if you try to penetrate a Japanese task force to sink one of their aircraft carriers, the same thing will probably happen to you. I suffered the persecution of several warships. Despite being 150 feet deep, a pass from one of them caused several damage to the bow. A bulkhead, transmission of the bow planes, torpedo tubes, etc. The point is that the submarine was tilted towards the bow and began to descend without being able to stop it. I set a dive, hit the A key but nothing. I only managed to reverse and blow the ballast tanks with the E key. This gave a partial result since the submarine went up again, but when the engines stopped it went down again. I repeated the operation several times and the compressed air reserve was running out, but luckily the damages mentioned were repaired and I was able to stay at a stable depth. My question to you who always help me with your wise advice, is the following: What did I do right? Was it the only thing she could do or was there something else? Thank you very much for your responses. Cheers!
what miken9 said +1...except i am not sure you need to be 100 ft below the therm when attacking. maybe while escaping but i prefer to stay just under the therm when attacking. but we are arguing minutiae.

you did not mention your speed during your damage control. hydrodynamics can be tricky. your boat had taken damage and had negative buoyancy. you probably could have better controlled your depth if you increased your speed. you will probably be asking next: how much or how fast should you go? the answer is: just fast enough to control your depth....it depends on your damage and negative buoyancy. while you are trying to repair damage and keep from sinking below crush depth, you also have to worry about generating too much noise such that you are detected/attacked again.

some Kaleuns have used a variation of sprint-drift: use enough speed to get your boat to a safe depth and then cut your speed (and noise) while watching your depth. when you pass your comfort level depth, increase your speed just enough to make the boat rise to a safe depth. repeat until you are out of harm's way or you are destroyed. best bet: start accumulating repair-guys. put them in DC but also put them in the compartments with flooding damage.

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 10:41 AM   #4
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Default Hi Mikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
Jorge, my first thought is:why only 150' ?
Deeper is better to avoid trouble, if you can, 100' or more below thermal.
Doesn't always work perfectly, but evades most DDs.

I was heading for 200 feet, but they didn't give me time! I know that after that depth there is a thermal layer, which can be useful. But getting back to the topic, did I proceed well? Was the maneuver correct, or should I have done something else?
Old 11-24-20, 10:51 AM   #5
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Default Hi KaleunMarco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
what miken9 said +1...except i am not sure you need to be 100 ft below the therm when attacking. maybe while escaping but i prefer to stay just under the therm when attacking. but we are arguing minutiae.

you did not mention your speed during your damage control. hydrodynamics can be tricky. your boat had taken damage and had negative buoyancy. you probably could have better controlled your depth if you increased your speed. you will probably be asking next: how much or how fast should you go? the answer is: just fast enough to control your depth....it depends on your damage and negative buoyancy. while you are trying to repair damage and keep from sinking below crush depth, you also have to worry about generating too much noise such that you are detected/attacked again.

some Kaleuns have used a variation of sprint-drift: use enough speed to get your boat to a safe depth and then cut your speed (and noise) while watching your depth. when you pass your comfort level depth, increase your speed just enough to make the boat rise to a safe depth. repeat until you are out of harm's way or you are destroyed. best bet: start accumulating repair-guys. put them in DC but also put them in the compartments with flooding damage.

good luck!

Perhaps it sounds good in theory, submerged I always sail at 1/3 but if I am at 250 feet and the submarine does not stop going down, if I increase the speed I end up crushed like an eggshell. This version of Silent Hunter does not seem to have the option of being able to independently control the fore and aft planes. I remembered a scene from "Ice Station Zebra" where, faced with an uncontrolled dive by a bow torpedo tube open to the sea, they eject the ballast and make an emergency reverse gear. I don't know if I could have done anything else, but luckily and after repeating the maneuver three times, I managed to stabilize at 200 feet and as soon as the Japs left I came to the surface.
Old 11-24-20, 10:59 AM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegonzalito View Post
Perhaps it sounds good in theory, submerged I always sail at 1/3 but if I am at 250 feet and the submarine does not stop going down, if I increase the speed I end up crushed like an eggshell. This version of Silent Hunter does not seem to have the option of being able to independently control the fore and aft planes. I remembered a scene from "Ice Station Zebra" where, faced with an uncontrolled dive by a bow torpedo tube open to the sea, they eject the ballast and make an emergency reverse gear. I don't know if I could have done anything else, but luckily and after repeating the maneuver three times, I managed to stabilize at 200 feet and as soon as the Japs left I came to the surface.
what i meant was: increase your speed and raise your depth simultaneously.
for example, you are severely damaged at 220 ft doing 1/3 speed.
as you repair your boat, you notice that you are diving past 300 ft.
set depth back to 200 and raise your speed a knot or two.
if the dive is not checked and you are not rising, keep adding speed until you rise in depth. as you get to 200-220, slow down, back to 1/3.
you may have to do this continually until you fix the flooding or escape and surface.
real immersion.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 02:27 PM   #7
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
what i meant was: increase your speed and raise your depth simultaneously.
for example, you are severely damaged at 220 ft doing 1/3 speed.
as you repair your boat, you notice that you are diving past 300 ft.
set depth back to 200 and raise your speed a knot or two.
if the dive is not checked and you are not rising, keep adding speed until you rise in depth. as you get to 200-220, slow down, back to 1/3.
you may have to do this continually until you fix the flooding or escape and surface.
real immersion.

Clearly understood. I'll keep it in mind for the next time it happens. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-24-20, 06:40 PM   #8
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

also if damage and going down you can hit back 1/3 or whatever and bring her back up to dept