SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-06, 11:30 AM   #1
Khayman
Lieutenant

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

I found out about Subsim from the SH2 manual. I didn't join the forum, but I did download some mods. I remember I even contributed some money so I could download the mod that changed SH2 to US subs in the Pacific.

It was only after getting SH3 that I joined the forum. Even then I think I only posted a couple of times. It's only been in the last few months that I've posted more and tried to join in. I think that's because I wasn't completely sure about it at first, but I've found it's a friendly enough place...so far anyway.

One thing I would like to mention is the patience shown to newcomers who ask the same questions over and over again. I used to be one and I now try to show the same helpfulness and and respect that I received.
Khayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 05:10 PM   #2
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

I was a regular poster at Subsim when I got a PM from Neal asking if I'd be interested in being part of a core group to plan and start a new site which became the WPL. That was (I think) about 8 months before the SHII release date which then got pushed back. I remember being the 4th or 5th poster at the WPL and the post was just a simple..."Reporting in"
We debated and voted on things like whether members should be automatically assigned to a Flotilla based on region, and that the 9th should be given to the German players, if we got enough of them to join. (We had no idea how big that place would get)

I lurked at Subsim for about a year before I joined....which was probably in 1999. I think I used RickC then but I can't remember. (I'm old)
The integrity of this place stood out like a beacon and the help you got from the people here wasn't just good, it often came from guys who had a naval history and that impressed me. The early names I remember were Bill Nichols and Hondo. I stumbled onto the place by searching the web for tech help.

Memories... Beta testing SHII - Destroyer Command multiplay with Neal, Old Man, Ddoutel (Duane), and some others. It was hard to go through the necessary business when you really wanted to cut loose on somebody. Somehow, some way, before we ended for the night Old Man (cwarrior0 to some) would find a way sink Neal's destroyer.

Getting to know Frank, Tak, Rich, Nos, ZZsteven and the rest of the Yahoo Crew.
Playing in a DD with Rich (Deerhunter UK) vs Sharky and after cease fire was called I drove my destroyer right up beside Rich's for a photo shoot. Sharky took the picture then sent an eel into my boilers.
Frank teaching me vertical TMA.

Yes, guys. I showed a longtime friend, Sharky, the WPL and this place and she joined soon after. All you potato peelers have me to blame.

Torplexed...you underestimate yourself. You're art is fantastic and you have a gift for capturing the personality of your subject matter. They are anything but just strange cartoons.

Bad... That 5 page list of rules for WPL multiplay. Neal wanted to keep the rules as short as possible, and that was as short as possible.
..The shortcomings of SHII.

RickC

Last edited by RickC Sniper; 06-03-06 at 05:26 PM.
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 12:21 PM   #3
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Thanks Rick!

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-06, 12:55 AM   #4
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

...I forgot to mention the "Who killed the cat post."
Old 06-26-06, 12:56 AM   #5
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

nostalgic bump cheers to subsim
Old 06-26-06, 12:53 AM   #6
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens

As you may know, we have a Special Project in the works. One of the things I am doing is compiling a roster of people who have been with Subsim since the Early Times. Of course, I have Bill, John, Drebbel, and a few others listed as the Moses group. I have a short list of other legacy players, some who have not been seen in a while (Frank, Jason), some who are still around. To cross check my list, I invite you to post here.

How did you learn about Subsim?
When did you first visit?
What do you recall about Subsim upon your first vist? (Some article, some game, maybe some forum topic, etc.)
What type of forum was Subsim using at the time? (Matt's BBS, EZBoard, phpBB 1.44, etc)
What was your name or Subsim nickname then? Same as now or something else?
Anything else you would like to mention (nostalgic times, people, events in the Subsim community):

Try to be as accurate as you can, thanks. This will be part of the SP.
Neal

How did you learn about Subsim? Researching something related to subs.
When did you first visit? 1999, goofing off @work
What do you recall about Subsim upon your first vist? (Some article, some game, maybe some forum topic, etc.) I couldn't beleive that there were other people who loved submarines as much as me.
What type of forum was Subsim using at the time? (Matt's BBS, EZBoard, phpBB 1.44, etc) ???
What was your name or Subsim nickname then? Same as now or something else? JasonL or U-9
Anything else you would like to mention (nostalgic times, people, events in the Subsim community): I was the first one to notice(post) the AI in SHII. I remember the whole fiasco leading up to sh2. The Drebbel trial.
Old 08-08-06, 10:25 AM   #7
WutWuzDat
Planesman

Downloads: 0

Well Neal, I started surfing on subsim.com right before I bought SHII. I had seen SHII on the shelf at walmart and thought I should readup about it before I bought it. A google search brought your place up.

At that time ya'll were on the EZBoard forum, but I never did join there.. You went to the next version, I can't remember (PHP I think). That is when I joined, I had gotten SHII by then and was needing help.

That was late 2001 IIRC.

Hey, I even had threads with hate-mail type-o-stuff: http://www.subsim.com/phpBB_2002/vie...8588&forum=9&4

Life is like a roll of toliet paper, the older you get, the faster it goes!

Last edited by WutWuzDat; 08-08-06 at 10:34 AM.
WutWuzDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 12:43 PM   #8
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

I started first checking it out when I got.... I have been sitting here trying to remember the name of it but it has just slipped my mind right now. It was a sub and surface game that came out quite awhile ago. I can not bloody well remember the damn name for some reason.

Anyway, while searching for tips on it, I came upon this website. Soon after I started checking out SHIII which had already been out awhile and so I bought it and have played nothing but SHIII ever since. (Well as far as naval games go.)
Old 08-10-06, 10:31 PM   #9
Kresge
Engineer

Downloads: 4

Oh how many years ago was it? I can't even think of any other websites that I visit regulary after all this time!!! I ran across Subsim back when I heard SHII was being made and it rekindled my interest in SH1. I've been around off and on ever since! This is one of the few communities that has really stood the test of time.

Great job to Neal and the rest of the team members over the years who have made Subsim such a great site!
Old 08-21-06, 07:35 AM   #10
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

Quote:

As you may know, we have a Special Project in the works. One of the things I am doing is compiling a roster of people who have been with Subsim since the Early Times. Of course, I have Bill, John, Drebbel, and a few others listed as the Moses group. I have a short list of other legacy players, some who have not been seen in a while (Frank, Jason), some who are still around. To cross check my list, I invite you to post here.

What do you recall about Subsim upon your first vist? (Some article, some game, maybe some forum topic, etc.)
What type of forum was Subsim using at the time? (Matt's BBS, EZBoard, phpBB 1.44, etc)
Anything else you would like to mention (nostalgic times, people, events in the Subsim community):

Neal
I bought Sub Command and whilst doing a search for additional info on the game discovered and joined subsim in Jan 2002. Can't remember what type of forum it was when I joined. Captain Nemo has always been my nickname.

Nemo
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 05:44 PM   #11
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

I found subsim whilst looking through a google search i had been playing sub command for a long time and was looking if there was any newer ones coming out, and low and behold i stumbled upon the gold mine of the subsim world.

I first visited around 2003 i cant remember but i lost the link and hunted for it for a long time then i found subguru emailed bill nichols and asked to which he kindly gave me the link to this place.

What do i recall not much realy apart from my introduction posts, other than meeting some very decent people, who i have learnt alot from and also made some good friends wit.

My name here has always been kapitan and that wont change.

Only that i personaly believe that subsim is the hub of all naval games and i hope it remains so for a long time to come, theres alot of excellent players guys and girls here we all can learn from, and the best thing of all is there is not alot of bit*hing fighting scrapping or what have you. (ok ok in fairness i have started a few)

I am proud to be a subsim member its one of the very few decent forums on the net one where we can all come together and share our views opinions and rarely gets out of hand.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 08:38 AM   #12
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:

Neal
1. I can't remember how I found the site....to long ago.

2. Late 90's sometime, after getting SH 1. Didn't register until much later.

3. Don't recall anything in particular, though the layout/colors then weren't as nice as now.

4. Don't recall the forum; I was still on dialup then and didn't bother with forums much........tie up phone/cost.
I may have registered before my 2002 registration (re-registration ?).....can't remember.

5. See # 4 above
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 01:43 PM   #13
Bertgang
Sparky

Downloads: 1

Quote:

Searching for "Aces of the deep" with a search engine.
Other interesting results frome same search: uboat.net and the disapperared fine unofficial guide of Hans Abbadon
Quote:
The same day, but just for a quick look, as I spent more time on the other two.
Quote:
Download and suggestion sections; forum's exploration started later
Quote:
Don't ask me, as I don't know what kind of forum we are using now.
Quote:
Same as now; my name for a Aces of the Deep captain (died just after subscription)
Bertgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 11:03 AM   #14
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default Since Moby Dick was a Minnow

I actually started in some time in the 90s, but with address changes, forgotten pass words, I lost some credits, now I so 2005.

Sub Sailor
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-06, 11:04 AM   #15
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default See I told you I forgot a lot

Sub Sailor
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote