SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-22-17, 11:13 AM   #1
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Default Future DLC, expansion ideas?

I know that we're still in the bug fix improvement phase but guess it's never too early to ask. Here's some possibilities.

1) Allied subs. The British sub would be interesting. Probably easiest as all you need is the new 3D models. May have to adjust some scenarios (no TLAM). Diesel/electric from the other NATO countries would be fun but may require all new game mechanics and more campaign scenario adjustment.

2) Later era. Add unit introduced after 1984. Will need to update all the campaign events/message to reflect the time period.

3) Soviet Campaign. This may take longer, don't know if 3D models of Nato units are already in the database. If not, it may take some time and effort. May also have to expand the map to cover more of the Atlantic. so Soviet units that managed to break through the GIUK gap can do some convoy hunting. Logistic maybe a problem as they have no realistic way to replenish once they break through.

4) Long term. may have to be an full expansion or Cold Waters II. Other regions of the world. Although it was not really covered in Red Storm Rising but I'm sure there's a lot of action in the Mediterranean Sea with the Black sea fleet trying to breakout. Also, while it was fairly unrealistic. The event from The Clancy SSN novel maybe fun.

What else do you guys want to see?
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 12:58 PM   #2
ollie1983
Sailor man

Downloads: 5

The Brits have TLAM, have done for a while. They also have sub-harpoon.

They also have the mighty Spearfish torpedo which will travel 30nmi at 80 knots...

Some British ships would be nice, as would the full range of British subs- start at the Valiant class (6 tubes as well), right through, Chuchill class, Swiftsure, Trafalgar and Astute classes.

It would be nice to be in the campaign and bump into friendly ships from time to time.

The European diesel-electric boats would just be a nightmare in coastal waters.
ollie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 01:15 PM   #3
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie1983 View Post
The Brits have TLAM, have done for a while. They also have sub-harpoon.

They also have the mighty Spearfish torpedo which will travel 30nmi at 80 knots...

Some British ships would be nice, as would the full range of British subs- start at the Valiant class (6 tubes as well), right through, Chuchill class, Swiftsure, Trafalgar and Astute classes.

It would be nice to be in the campaign and bump into friendly ships from time to time.

The European diesel-electric boats would just be a nightmare in coastal waters.
The Brits did not get TLAM till the late 90s so that would not work in the current campaign. I also don't see how diesel-electric will work in the campaign structure as their use would be severely limited away from coastal water. Maybe they are more suited for single missions.
Old 06-22-17, 01:52 PM   #4
ollie1983
Sailor man

Downloads: 5

Give us the option of a 1990s or even 2000s campaign.

If it's 1984 or lump it we will be missing out on a lot of newer platforms...
ollie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 01:53 PM   #5
somedude88
Torpedoman

Downloads: 54

Personally, and do take it with a grain of salt, I would buy anything that made the game more "realistic", that vague catch-all word that means different things to different people, but in this case, would be defined as game mechanics that force players to act and think like real sub commanders, so you can't to do funny things to cheese the game.
somedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 01:55 PM   #6
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie1983 View Post
Give us the option of a 1990s or even 2000s campaign.

If it's 1984 or lump it we will be missing out on a lot of newer platforms...
See number 2 on my list ;-P
Old 06-22-17, 06:17 PM   #7
OrangeFr3ak
Watch

Downloads: 45

For the US Navy, I'd like to see the Ohio class SSGNs. It'll be nice to have British, German, French, Swedish and Italian submarines as well. For expansions, a Pacific campaign would be awesome since the Chinese PLA Navy can be added along navies such as Australia, Taiwan, India, Pakistan and the two Koreas. Finally, future additions for Soviet submarines can include the Whale, Zulu, Golf, Quebec, Papa, Mike Oscar II and Akula classes among others.

Last edited by OrangeFr3ak; 06-22-17 at 08:13 PM.
OrangeFr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 07:23 PM   #8
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Somehow, I see KillerFish having $$$-signs in their future...and good for them if they so desire it.

I hope that the base program and the Mods remain easy to mesh.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-17, 09:44 PM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I think they've earned it. I would like to see a version of Cold Waters that replaces Sub Command; basically the same game as CW but in 2015 with the newest subs, and include a Sonalysts/Fast Attack style TMA, sonar and fire control stations that are optional.
Old 06-22-17, 10:09 PM   #10
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I think they've earned it. I would like to see a version of Cold Waters that replaces Sub Command; basically the same game as CW but in 2015 with the newest subs, and include a Sonalysts/Fast Attack style TMA, sonar and fire control stations that are optional.
Don't stop there, think about a spiritual successor to Jane's Fleet Command in glorious, not-1999 graphics. The possibilities if multiplayer was on the table different players playing as air, surface and sub-surface platforms......... cooperating or fighting each other OR BOTH!

Still though, I love what they are doing with Cold Waters, they delivered a game which for me was much better than expected. I want to put this in perspective though, I thought this would be a game that I like, what they gave me is THE GAME that I stop playing other games for. What I'm hoping to see is some steady expansion on what we've already got, I think the biggest thing they are working on now is the mentioned bug fixes and a little bit of "get right" for the AI. The devs have had LASER focus getting the fixes that they've made so far out at lightning speed and the trouble is the bigger / wider scope / more ambitions (2017 campaign, 1990s campaign, 1950s campaign, playable Russians, playable allies, american surface ships, playable surface ships, playable airplanes and helicopters) their work becomes the less focus they are going to have.
Old 06-22-17, 10:30 PM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Bandit, you really nailed it. I say the same thing. When Cold Waters hit my radar last year, I was hopeful but did not want to get too excited. After all, creating a quality game is really hard, much more difficult than most people realize. And like you said, once I started playing it, the game really hooked me.
Old 06-22-17, 11:29 PM   #12
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Don't stop there, think about a spiritual successor to Jane's Fleet Command in glorious, not-1999 graphics. The possibilities if multiplayer was on the table different players playing as air, surface and sub-surface platforms......... cooperating or fighting each other OR BOTH!

Still though, I love what they are doing with Cold Waters, they delivered a game which for me was much better than expected. I want to put this in perspective though, I thought this would be a game that I like, what they gave me is THE GAME that I stop playing other games for. What I'm hoping to see is some steady expansion on what we've already got, I think the biggest thing they are working on now is the mentioned bug fixes and a little bit of "get right" for the AI. The devs have had LASER focus getting the fixes that they've made so far out at lightning speed and the trouble is the bigger / wider scope / more ambitions (2017 campaign, 1990s campaign, 1950s campaign, playable Russians, playable allies, american surface ships, playable surface ships, playable airplanes and helicopters) their work becomes the less focus they are going to have.
It's already done. Check out "Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations"
Old 06-22-17, 11:46 PM   #13
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
It's already done. Check out "Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations"
Never thought I'd ever say this but Fleet Command's 1990s graphics trump Command's 1970s vintage. CMANO is the ultimate Harpoon successor (and has just about everything beat in terms of realism and complexity) but some of the stuff you'd watch in Fleet Command is simply too good not to see.

Picture a Ticonderoga CG under missile attack, still launcher SM-2s like mad as the Phalanx guns come to life and start spitting out a wall of lead. There's something to be said about seeing something like that recreated with CW level graphics. I like command but watching shapes and icons converge on a map screen is just not the same.
Old 06-23-17, 01:42 AM   #14
YoYo
Ensign

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 2

I think all concerns submarines must be for free so:

soviet submarines
soviet campaignes

it was promised by Killerfish Game.

but, idea for payware DLC could be:

- new theatre (for example Pacific) with new campaign,
- new nations + his submarines (for example GB, DE) + campaignes for this
- playable surface ships (YES! YES! YES!) with all functions, it will be very nice to fight with submarines ect + campaign

I think I could be nice to see (for free for sure) multiplayer in the game also. For example 1vs1 surface vs subamrines, fleet vs fleet, wow simply!

SH fan, btw. my U-boot Typ VII C41 Click!
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 06:42 AM   #15
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

For free is not good, this is their job. You wouldn't work for free would you?