Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-14, 05:17 PM   #1
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo evasion tactics.

If you play Dangerous waters enough, you find yourself in situations where your on the receiving end of Torpedo fire. The ability to evade enemy torpedoes is possibly the hardest skill to master, and will truly separate the good captains from the masters.

So I wanna start this thread so people can post what they find is the best ways to evade torpedoes, and people can read and learn what works.

I too would like to learn the best way to evade torpedoes, as the best I was ever able to do (on a Russian rebellion campaign in an akula II) was 4 torpedos, 2 UGMT and 2 ADCAPs, some active and passive, from my stern and starboard beam, I got by 3 but one of the adcaps went for my decoy, then circled around and got me on the second pass.

anyway, tell us your stories and tactics, I know id like to know how my fellow Captains approach this problem
speed150mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 06:01 PM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

I have a video going up on my channel on Saturday, April 12, where I somehow manage to evade three torpedoes (sorry if you watch my videos and I'm spoiling anything! oops)! I couldn't believe it either haha. Alright, so I learned this technique from my friend and it has been working rather well for me in stock Dangerous Waters.

What you want to do is figure out the bearing of the torpedo through whatever means. You can do this before or after you drop counter measures, but it's probably better to do it after you drop counter measures (I'll get into why in a second).

After you drop counter measures, you're gonna wanna set two waypoints. The first waypoint should put you about 1-2nm behind your counter measure field. By 'behind your counter measure field', I mean have the counter measures exactly between you and the torpedoes so the angle between you and the torpedo with respect to the counter measure field is 180*.

After that, you want your second waypoint to put you on about the same course as the torpedo, which should keep the counter measures between you and the torpedo. If all goes well, you should be hearing sonar report a loud explosion very shortly and you'll have successfully evaded the torpedo This has been working very well for me, let me know if it works for you!

EDIT: I should note this is for a torpedo on SNAKE search pattern. If a torp with circular search pattern (usually dropped in the air from something) lands within acquisition range of you, I'm not sure there's much that can be done.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters

Last edited by FPSchazly; 04-10-14 at 08:31 PM.
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 08:13 PM   #3
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

FPSchazly! Welcome to Subsim matey. Your videos are awesome by the way.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 08:32 PM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
FPSchazly! Welcome to Subsim matey. Your videos are awesome by the way.
Thanks so much! Glad to be here!

My videos:
Old 04-13-14, 10:29 PM   #5
OptimusX
Seaman

Downloads: 27

FP! Your videos want me to relive my old days of Sub Command SCX II multiplayer...
OptimusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 10:50 AM   #6
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post

EDIT: I should note this is for a torpedo on SNAKE search pattern. If a torp with circular search pattern (usually dropped in the air from something) lands within acquisition range of you, I'm not sure there's much that can be done.
The only thing you can do is pick the bearing furthest away from the contact, go ahead flank, drop countermeasures like crazy and, assuming depth permits, blow ballasts and hope your rate of rise exceeds the torpedo's ability to correct. You really need to be lucky in this situation. If there are surface ships waiting for you, you are still in trouble. However, you will have at least avoided the torpedo. If you do not have enough depth to do this, then the only thing you can do is hope you can kite the torpedo long enough to pull off the countermeasure-dodge tactic. If the torpedoes get dropped on top of you, you will not have time to do anything and you are already dead. Air-dropped torpedoes are nasty. NEVER give a platform capable of air-dropping torpedoes a reason to do so. You are already dead unless it is simply not your time to die.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-14, 02:26 AM   #7
Nexus7
Commander

Downloads: 2

To answer this question properly one should specify if he plays DW modded or not, and if yes what mod he uses and perhaps even what OS he uses (bugs), and even then the behaviour would be not reproducible

Any Sonalyst around?
Old 04-26-14, 04:15 AM   #8
Shkval
Planesman

Downloads: 54

Well my tactics was something like this... the moment you hear "torpedo in the water" warning, (assuming it's a submarine or surface ship launched weapon) turn the sub on the course opposite to the declared torpedo bearing, start to retract the towed array sensor, and order "ahead flank", all of that in a quick sequence.
If you can, try to identify torpedo type!

After some 40 - 50 seconds of sweating, (assuming it was not Shkval torpedo type, in which case you will have the time to blink twice and die with a stupid expression on your face )... wiggle the sub a little bit i.e. change course to the port or starboard by ten degrees few times... because your at ahead flank you are practically blind and deaf, BUT!

IF the torpedo is after you, you will hear a sequence of rapid sharp and loud pings, and then is time to drop active countermeasures... If you can't hear anything, try the passive countermeasure first, but remember, passive ones are like bread crumbs you are leaving behind you!

If all goes well you will hear sonar man "loud explosion bearing 180" or something close to that bearing... if not... well... MAYBE you will have the time to reload countermeasure tubes, IF the torpedo was launched from bigger distance... otherwise you are dead!
Old 05-12-14, 02:12 AM   #9
smolfri
Sailor man

Downloads: 218

I have had some success with the following tactic.

upon hearing "torpedo in the water" change course to put the incoming torpedo directly in your baffles "180º" retract the toad sonar array and Order all ahead standard. start dropping passive decoys as fast and furious as you can. After droping 3 or 4 decoys turn to port 10º and drop another 3 to 4. after you have dropped your lsst passive decoy on the port track come right 20º. at this point you want to load your decoy launchers with active decoy and order ahead full. the point of this maneuver is too hopefully turn the torpedo away from your boat. if the torpedo does not turn away from you and goes active. Launch your active countermeasures order flank speed and blow ballast. The torpedo should track the decoys instead of you. And if they don't, you probablywon't feel a thing.
smolfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 08:00 AM   #10
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Anyone had tried to run like hell IN the direction of the incoming fish? I mean, to try and make the fish coming too much longer? It is a viable tactic or it is a suicide?
I'm speaking with no direct experience of torp evasion under my belly, you see...
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 08:43 AM   #11
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
Anyone had tried to run like hell IN the direction of the incoming fish? I mean, to try and make the fish coming too much longer? It is a viable tactic or it is a suicide?
I'm speaking with no direct experience of torp evasion under my belly, you see...
For a torpedo that has to go a long way, it's definitely feasible. The problem is, unless it's the enemy sub's last torpedo, he can just shoot another one at you now that you've gotten yourself closer to it

"He's turned directly into the torpedo's path!"
"What?"
"Red October's turned directly into the torpedo's path, sir!"
"Mother of God!"

My videos:
Old 05-17-14, 05:06 PM   #12
Shkval
Planesman

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
That worked in the movie... and only in the movie... even the movie, although pretty good, was naive and totally unrealistic... hunter-killer subs driving in circles like in a airplane dogfight?
Surely it was impossible for producers to make realistic submarine underwater duel... camera would had to travel for 15 minutes at 60 km/h trough water to change a position from sub to sub or to follow a torpedo from one sub to another... half of the audience would fall asleep and other half would go home...
Old 05-18-14, 05:17 AM   #13
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkval View Post
That worked in the movie... and only in the movie... even the movie, although pretty good, was naive and totally unrealistic... hunter-killer subs driving in circles like in a airplane dogfight?
Well, I wasn't thinking of any movie at all when I posted that question... I just realized that sometimes, when I have not come to a good solution, I risk to overshot my target...
So I was wondering if running in the face of a coming topedo could be a viable tactic (in some situations, of course) or woud be a totally crazy, completly suicidal manouver.
And I was hoping to read answers from virtual skippers that tried that in the game (to know I'm not mad for wanting to try it, lol)
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 03:36 PM   #14
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35

It's a gamble on how close to you the enemy has set his torp arming range. All I know is I'd be nervous as hell. I mean with an active homing torpedo you know when he's active and when he has you. A passive torpedo you never know.

I know that when I am under attack I do one of two things depending on range. One is if it's close range is to launch countermeasures, snapshot and reload , turn away, hit flank, go deep, if acquired then launch again and go shallow.

If long range or if I'm in a tight space like a harbour,I drop an active countermeasure and reload. Then I either go very shallow or hug the bottom, turn my stern or bow towards the torp if possible to reduce profile. And go all stop. Then if it's an active torp I hope it will go for the countermeasure or I go with idea 1 if it doesn't. If it's passive I prey I'm making a good impersonation of empty water :p
speed150mph is offline   Reply With Quote