SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-21-09, 06:34 AM   #151
Schultz
Officer

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

Well get on with it ! Great job
Old 11-21-09, 04:23 PM   #152
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

You guys do know you got to do a tutorial also on this new aob thingy
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 07:25 PM   #153
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Blah... didn't do any work today... Hitman, mind if I use your Ujagd 1.3 aob wheel? It's better centered than the one I ended up with in ACM Reloaded. Yours are a perfect fit and have extra markings.

@ Infernos: sir yes sir.
@looney: yes, I plan to also include a good documentation with basically the following info, but with pictures:

How to best profit from having the AOB displayed in the periscope screen:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151431

How to use the AOBF wheel (this one is written specifically for the one I made in ACM Reloaded): http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=191.

Each AOB wheel is different depending on the camera setting of the mod, the zoom level for which it's made, the layout of the marks and in my case, for the aspect ratio of the screen (because my marks are not hardcoded to increase by 1.2 ratio). But the basics are the same, the only thing different is where to place the height marks. In some cases you need to double the mast, in others you need to double the length marks. In this mod however I'll use the exact same layout I used in ACM. But I've found that <1000m, most ships cover just too many marks so I will include 2 transparent wedges so you can use 1.5X zoom and 6X zoom without dividing manually by 4.

Now as I said, the dial object for the AOBF will not cover the periscope. I will either create a small rotating knob to control the inner disk, or you'll just click in a certain place and drag left and right, not sure yet which works best, I'll try them tomorrow. The good news is that you'll be able to move the periscope freely and also use the stadimeter while having the aobf displayed. I'll also use the precise markings from ACM Reloaded. Who doesn't want them can simply hide them from the menu.ini file. G'night....
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 03:57 AM   #154
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Hitman, mind if I use your Ujagd 1.3 aob wheel? It's better centered than the one I ended up with in ACM Reloaded. Yours are a perfect fit and have extra markings.
Sure, you can make any stuff I have made public without even asking me before

Be aware however that my original templates were not mathematically accurate to a 100%. If you need higher res images, PM me with the details and I will see what I have lying around in the HDD

Quote:
or you'll just click in a certain place and drag left and right
That's how it worked in real life. You can easily see in the picture the lever that was grabbed with the fongertips to drag the wheel.

Old 11-22-09, 06:04 AM   #155
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

P.s. I meant it as a joke cause I loved the thingy OLC did. yours looks equally good.

Main problem I see is that there are no lengths given in the reccon manual.
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-09, 12:12 PM   #156
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Thanks Hitman, the problem I see with the aobf is this:
When in the default position, all the mast values are perfectly aligned to the range values, all around the circle. But if you divide by a specific value (for example if you align 50 range with 100 mast, or 20 range with 100 mast), at the bottom of the circle, the values no longer match perfectly. For example:
The image on the right is is at 100/100, the image on the left is at 100/50

The amount of displacement depends on the multipying factor. Since most ships have a height of around 25 and most shots are made at about 8-10 marks on the stadimeter, this can throw the range off by up to 50m. But it's not critical, since the human error value when using the stadimeter will be far greater anyway and they shou;d well compensate eachother (you'll always tend to exagerate the number of marks).

When moving the inner dial I'm not concerned about making it historically accurate but for ease of use. I don't want that dial to reset when moving the mouse or act weird. It's a far greater problem than I anticipated and it has been keeping me busy the entire day.

Looney, don't worry, I've got an answer for just about everything: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153143. This will prevent me though from releasing multiple versions of the mod. Since any change to the roster can crash the game. I'll just make the one for OM and offer it to Lurker, if he wants to include it in his mod so that I don't have to update it every time he updates OM. I'll make a full documentation about how to include the mod in other mods.

PS: I won't go to bed until it's finished. I want to play!!!!!
Old 11-22-09, 03:49 PM   #157
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

I have already built the .cfg files with the length set to meters for all the ships in OM. Just waiting for this project to be compeleted then I'll roll it in OMEGU
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 11:40 AM   #158
markdenny
Sparky

Downloads: 216

Any news yet been stuck in port for nearly a week now waiting for this, dare not go out as i'll miss it, could take weeks to get back and Donitz wants me back on patrol asap i said i cant till ive been upgraded with new scope etc.He's threatning to have me shot
markdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 01:36 PM   #159
karamazovnew
The Old Man

It's done , I can't believe it myself. The AOBF has been infernal to say the least. I'll post it in about 2-3 hours. Mind you, it will still count as beta test until I'm confident there are no bugs. There are many errors in the aob wheel, but so far I've found that they just counteract eachother. I've yet to get more than 50m or 5 degrees aob errors. Here's the final pic before release:

The upper transparent wedge is used at 6X zoom, while the one at the bottom is used at 1.5X zoom (just a simple 1/4 division). The red wedge between them is for the speed calculation. There are 2 different AOB wheels, one for 4:3 resolutions and one for 16:9 resolutions (released as a mandatory fix). The precise markings are similar to the ones I've made for ACM Reloaded. Thet don't light up at night but you'll be able to change the color easily. They show marks in 1 degree increment. The horizontal ones are already doubled. But If you want to calculate them at 1.5X zoom, then you'll have to multiply the already doubled number by 4. Now back to work
Old 11-24-09, 04:52 PM   #160
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Default Alpha 3 release (if there are no bugs then it's Beta 1)

KiUB alpha 3.0 download link: http://www.filefront.com/14991961/Ki...lpha%203.0.zip

Mandatory fix for 16:9 resolutions: http://www.filefront.com/14990103/Ki...Res%20AOBF.zip.

Important:
1. DO NOT apply this mod directly unless you have the latest OMEGU 210 fix 3 or the normal OM V210. I'll make a documentation soon on how to implement this interface in other mods.
2. DO NOT apply the 16:9 rez fix unless you plan to use 16:9 resolutions.

This mod only changes the german Attack Periscope Screen. Apart from a minor change to the bearing indicator, you should not see any new items in the American interface. It also changes the zoom level of the camera in both periscopes. The Observation Periscope can be changed to any zoom value, I just made them the same because they were the same in real life. I've replaced the Speed entry in the recognition manual with the Length data. The data is in meters and no, I won't remake it in any other units. I'll post a short "How to use" guide in a few minutes. Enjoy...

Last edited by karamazovnew; 11-24-09 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 05:53 PM   #161
markdenny
Sparky

Downloads: 216

Just downloaded this superd looking mod taken out alpha 2 replaced with new one and ctd take out the new one and replace with alpha two version and all is fine.Whats the problem please help omegu is all at the latest spec.
markdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 06:42 PM   #162
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdenny View Post
Just downloaded this superd looking mod taken out alpha 2 replaced with new one and ctd take out the new one and replace with alpha two version and all is fine.Whats the problem please help omegu is all at the latest spec.
Yeap, my bad.... I had RFB and RSRD below the OMEGU mod and so I included ships in the Sea folder that don't have anything to do with OM. I've deleted the bad folders and also removed the Nomograph from the Nav Map since I won't use the RFB files without their permission. I honestly hope there aren't any more incompatibilities. I'll check them with winmerge but it will take me some time to download OM. I'd better get myself the normal OM files this time, not the ones for RFB...

What I don't understand is this: why didn't the alpha 2 version cry for the nomograph file? It was a small error that still allowed me to enter the game, but still...

EDIT: oh now I get it.... Curses! Its the one from OMEGU. Phew... I'll still download both just to be sure there's no more screw ups. I'll post a fix for the nomograph soon. I hadn't enabled the easy plotting variant and it used the files in RFB

Last edited by karamazovnew; 11-24-09 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-24-09, 10:02 PM   #163
karamazovnew
The Old Man

This Alpha 3.0 version offers a complete working alternative to the original interface. If you use the one of the resolutions below, you can already start to play.

Planned for Alpha 4.0 release:
- miliradian periscope marks
- reworked AOBF wheel to work with the above marks and also made smaller to fit inside the viewfinder, which will allow this mod to work on all resolutions.
- reworked background that will unfortunately no longer keep the general viewfinder size on 16:10 resolutions (you'll still have alpha 3.0 if you prefer it as it is).

Unfortunately this Alpha 3.0 version will only work correctly for 4:3 and 16:10 resolutions. My decision to use a scaling factor of 1 instead of 5 for most items in the background (including the AOBF) was evidently a mistake. I would have to rethink my approach and remake most of the items I've put since Alpha 2. But that won't happen for 2-3 more weeks. I apologize to any that can't use any of the following resolutions:

Supported and tested resolutions:
- 1024x768
- 1152x864
- 1280x800 (needs the wide rez fix)
- 1280x960
- 1600x1200
- 1680x1050 (needs the wide rez fix)
- 1920x1200 (needs the wide rez fix)

Supported but untested resolutions, any resolutions X*Y where X/Y=1.333333 or X/Y=1.6 (needs wide rez fix).

Here are the download links:
Download link, main files (Updated 11-25-2009, at 6:40 GMT): http://www.filefront.com/14996233/Ki...lpha%203.0.zip

Mandatory files for wide rez resolutions: http://www.filefront.com/14990103/Ki...Res%20AOBF.zip

User Guide (how to use the AOBF, how to use the TDC for easy attacks): http://www.filefront.com/14992013/Ki...er%20Guide.zip

Important:
-DO NOT apply this mod directly unless you have the latest OMEGU 210 fix 3. I'll make a documentation soon on how to implement this interface in other mods.
-This mod contains a Sea folder that might conflict with your roster of ships. This folder is not an integral part of my mod but it's there so that you can see the length of the ships in the recognition manual.

This mod only changes the German Attack Periscope Screen. Apart from a minor change to the bearing indicator, you should not see any new items in the American interface. It also changes the zoom level of the camera in both periscopes. The Observation Periscope can be changed to any zoom value, I just made them the same because they were the same in real life. I've replaced the Speed entry in the recognition manual with the Length data. The data is in meters and no, I won't remake it in any other units.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 11-26-09 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-25-09, 12:24 AM   #164
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

This is what I am seeing. It works, no CTD but I have those two open areas where I can see ocean, u-boat and crew walking about. When submerged I see the ocean going by.

I am running 1920 by 1080 Widescreen, with the Rez Fix. I just downloaded your newest fles.

Rel_SH4_Trans-Atlantic_Radio
Setup Trans-Atlantic Radio and BBC
OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V720
OMEGU_v210
OMEGU_v210_Hotfix3
KiUB Alpha 3.0
KiUB Alpha 3.0 16-9 Res AOBF

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-09, 12:34 AM   #165
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Damn... I forgot that 1920/1200 doesn't mean 16:9.... . This is indeed a problem. I'm not even sure if the marks remain the same. . Can you use it at 1920/1200 or any other 16:10 resolutions till I figure out how to fix this?

EDIT: yeap, the marks differ. DAMN... this isn't an easy fix, but I should have it by thursday night.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 11-25-09 at 01:52 AM.