SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-10, 09:19 AM   #1
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248
Uploads: 0
Default [WIP] Damo's Lighting and Ambience Mod.

Hi all,

After posting in the New Interiors thread about my efforts to create a more realistic lighting environment in my game I've been hard at work tweaking and finalizing my lighting setup with the aim to release it to the community. I found the stock lighting and ambient levels too high with overpowering glare levels and thought I'd adjust it. What I aimed to emulate was the quality and technology of electric lighting in the WWII era, as well as making the interior of the boat a lot more gloomy, oppressive and claustrophobic. I think I may have cracked it.

I went through and tweaked every bulb in the sub, making them differ in color, brightness and intensity. Most of the differences are very subtle, but there are now no two bulbs that are the same. I've tried to adjust the lights so they correspond with their surroundings and the lightmaps that are cast by them. One example of this is the engine room, where the bulbs are browner to emulate the collected residue of diesel and oil.

The ambient lighting has been changed to make it darker and tinted to the hue of the old style lights, and I've removed the fog. No longer is the sub lit up like a ferris wheel and the corners of the interior now have better shadow effects where anything could be lurking.....

Anyway, pictures speak a thousand words so here's some screens from my latest version:

This version is made to be compatible with the following mods enabled in the order they are listed:

FM New Interiors v1.0
Open The Conning Tower Hatch TestFMFood

Cameras.dat and Commands_xx.cfg are not altered in any way so all funcionality and features of the above mods is left untouched. The only files altered are:

NSS_Uboat7_CR.dat
NSS_Uboat7_RR.dat
NSS_Uboat7_CT.dat

I'm ready to upload a beta version and the link to that will be sent via PM to the authors of the mods that use these files, as well as a couple of people I've decided to share with for testing and feedback. Please do not request the link as the only people who should have it are those I decide to PM, I will not be persuaded otherwise.

Flakmonkey, Diving Duck and lucagaeta should expect a PM within the next 48 hours, mainly for your testing and approval. I understand that if approval is not granted I will withdraw the mod and further development will cease. I also realise that updates are in the pipeline and a public release may not be possible until they are made public, but at least you can get an idea of what is possible.

If all goes well I'll aim to release versions for the Interiors mod on it's own, OH 3.09, and the standard Open Hatch mod (as provided with GWX), as well as moving on to the other uboats in the game.

I'd like to thank everybody here at Subsim that answer people's questions and also those that ask them in the first place, without this excellent community I'd still be floating around in a cramped uboat wondering what all these dials do, let alone twiddling about in S3D...

Thankyou.

Updates will be posted here as and when they happen.

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 09:33 AM   #2
JCWolf
Admiral

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 1

Damn cool lightening !

JCWolf Mediafire SHIII Page

User name : JCWolf
Password : stefre@jcm
JCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 12:43 PM   #3
Damo
Captain

Woo!! Just had a breakthrough. When the night lighting came on I found that the bulbs in the forward and aft quarters and the engine room kept their white textures (on the shades), causing them to look pink under the red lighting. See here:

When I checked the .tga used in the interior mod, it was different to the one used in the CR, which seem to be more opaque. After a bit of fiddling I swapped them and now all the lights look uniform.

Now, the next thing I'm trying to do is import the ribbed glass effect of those lights in the conning tower (see screenies above) so the rest of the boat has these more realistic shades. I see that the CT examples have an additional texture map with an occlusion setting that produces the ribbed effect.

Just got to figure out how to import that texture layer to the rest of the lights....

Old 03-08-10, 01:58 PM   #4
JCWolf
Admiral

It gets better and better...

Old 03-08-10, 04:34 PM   #5
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

The screenshots are looking great!
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 08:28 PM   #6
ViperU48
Torpedoman

Downloads: 58

Great Job!

The removal of fog especially gives the interior a new look to it. It does the FM New Interior mod justice by allowing us to see a longer perspective of it.
Old 03-08-10, 10:03 PM   #7
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Looks very good, but my eyes aren't the best, is it possible to have the interior a little lighter, I'm finding it hard to see the various devices/machines, I'd simply adjust the gamma but then the outside would be too bright?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 10:43 PM   #8
CaptainNemo12
Frogman

Downloads: 15

Actually gives a nice and warm comforting feel!
CaptainNemo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 12:32 AM   #9
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

It looks great! Although in my opinion the lights are not exactly comforting - they create an eerie, mysterious ambience that will add to the tension & sense of claustrophobia, especially during depth charge attacks.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 02:43 AM   #10
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Hello !

Yes, Screenshots looks very nice ! I like it !

Is there not a Download Link available ?

Best regards,
Magic
Old 03-09-10, 02:58 AM   #11
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1111 View Post
...Is there not a Download Link available ? ...
Read the first post carefully...
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 05:46 AM   #12
Damo
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Looks very good, but my eyes aren't the best, is it possible to have the interior a little lighter, I'm finding it hard to see the various devices/machines, I'd simply adjust the gamma but then the outside would be too bright?
Since those screens were taken I've lightened the gamma a notch or two so your eyes shouldn't suffer too much, plus it is easier to see stuff in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
It looks great! Although in my opinion the lights are not exactly comforting - they create an eerie, mysterious ambience that will add to the tension & sense of claustrophobia, especially during depth charge attacks.
Just the effect I was going for, thanks!!

Old 03-09-10, 06:31 AM   #13
JCWolf
Admiral

, I was waiting for a Mod like this,
Never really liked the actual Lights ,
and this is just perfect to me!

Incredible work mate!

Old 03-09-10, 07:18 AM   #14
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post
Since those screens were taken I've lightened the gamma a notch or two
Thanks much! Hope approval comes soon!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 08:42 AM   #15
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post

Now, the next thing I'm trying to do is import the ribbed glass effect of those lights in the conning tower (see screenies above) so the rest of the boat has these more realistic shades. I see that the CT examples have an additional texture map with an occlusion setting that produces the ribbed effect.

Just got to figure out how to import that texture layer to the rest of the lights....

You`ll need to change/edit the uv mapping on the lights to get the ribbed effect as i never mapped them to use the same texture as the stock lights (int7.tga/druck7.tga, heck i cant remember which one it uses but the ribbed texture is present in one of those textures.)

Looking good btw