SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-20, 12:00 PM   #166
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

SWEET JESUS! (with apologies to mohammed) What do they amputate when caught fornicating in non-koranic fashion!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 02:25 PM   #167
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Ask a Saudi guy with a high squeaky voice...

<O>
Old 09-07-20, 03:34 PM   #168
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

^...that suddenly joined...the Vienna Boy's Choir!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 09-07-20, 06:25 PM   #169
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

No choir, and, sir, I have a deep basso profundo voice... a very deep basso profundo voice...

<O>
Old 09-08-20, 11:33 AM   #170
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default $kullduggery under the turban ju$tice $ystem

In today's WSJ: Kashoggi's son has 'forgiven' his father's killers. Under Saudi law, the five death penalties are/can be reduced to imprisonment. Praise be unto allah... the mirthiful! and can someone check bin Salman's $hekel account? I '$pect the Kashoggi family coffers are full.... but hey, I'm just a $keptical worst-case-scenario kinda guy...,

Old 02-25-21, 03:31 AM   #171
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

"A declassified version of a U.S. intelligence report expected to be released on Thursday finds that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman approved the 2018 killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, four U.S. officials familiar with the matter said.

The officials said the report, for which the CIA was the main contributor, assessed that the crown prince approved and likely ordered the murder of Khashoggi, whose Washington Post column had criticized the crown prince’s policies"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN2AO2HL

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 08:04 AM   #172
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Can't say I'm surprised. I suspected as much from the beginning. What does surprise me is the number of countries (UK included) who queue up to sell them military weapons.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 10:20 AM   #173
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

This is not news, everyone knows the Crown Prince is behind it, but it does not matter since he is still and will be for a long time the de facto and eventually legal ruler of Saudi Arabia. Releasing the report will only antagonize the U.S.-Saudi Arabia relationship, which is why the Trump admin did not release it.

If the US decides it no longer wants Saudi Arabia as an ally, you can be sure China will be in there quickly. They have wanted to get access and garanteed supply of Saudi Oil to their economy for a very long time.

You really have to wonder why the Biden admin moved to release the report, there is no upside to it, only downsides. It looks like a politically naïve move.

But then, the Biden admin has made a lot of rookie mistakes, like rushing back into the Paris Climate Accord, instead of taking the opportunity to try to negotiate a better deal or trying to rush back into the Iran nuclear deal. Notice how Iran is acting like they have the upper hand in the negociations.

The only smart move they have done so far is continue the sanctions to kill the Nord Steam 2 project.
Old 02-25-21, 07:34 PM   #174
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Yemen is a side show, a pawn in an effort to restore Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef as successor to King Salman. Nayef has much closer ties to the U.S. than the younger MBS. Once Nayef 's position is secured I'd wager it will be back to business as usual.

Quote:
At the start of the millennium, Nayef had become Saudi Arabia’s go-to counterterrorism expert. Trained by the FBI and Scotland Yard, he began his career at the interior ministry, where he was head of intelligence and eventually interior minister, a post that had him working closely with the CIA. He developed ties with David Petraeus, the former CIA director under Obama, and has a network of contacts at the US Department of State.
Well-liked by the Americans, Nayef was one of just a few Saudi princes who mastered the issues he was tasked with handling. In 2010, he alerted the CIA to a cargo plane bomb plot involving two aircraft bound for the United States.

Jon Finer, who served as chief of staff for former secretary of state John Kerry, was impressed by Nayef’s ability to regularly provide critical intelligence on jihadist activities. A Riyadh-based US Department of State employee once said of MBN’s team: “They saved my butt more than once.”

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 08:42 PM   #175
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Its illogical to raise these issues if one has no intention to draw consequences anyway. One only illustrates one's own hypocrisy by doing so.
Old 02-26-21, 05:09 AM   #176
Catfish

Maybe "illogical" though i do not think so. If any potentate does such a thing it should be at least made public, and publicly codemned, if only as a shot across the bow. Right action, if a bit late.
There is no need for conciliation, nor whitewashing.
If you can criticise the US for what they did in Nicaragua or whatever, why t.h. not an arabian potentate.

Old 02-26-21, 05:48 AM   #177
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

If you expose somebody as a murderous pig and barbar, you raise questions about yourself why you still shake his hand, pay him money and make busienss with him. Thats what i call the hypocrisy in it. The self-contradiction.

Logical would be that if you want to continue being tied to this somebody, you stay silent about his bad sides and do not help to uncover them.

Anyone here expecting the US soon to break ties with SA and stopping to sell them weapons?
Old 02-26-21, 06:20 AM   #178
Catfish

^ of course no one will stop selling weapons , but if you can inject a bit of pressure in the negotiations you are maybe in a better position to put through some additional interests, may it be price, strategy or politics. And while it does not make anyone more trustworthy, it is a sign to S.A. that the US will still maintain ties and share intelligence.

If you just hush it up, your standing will not be better than if you did what you did now, in the eyes of the world. And it gives a broad hint that such action as done by Mohammed Bin Salman does not get unnoticed, even between allies. Yes, no one should have diplomatic ties with such regimes let alone sell them weapons, but .. China, Russia .. and it is better to keep up speaking with another. Better than what was done in the last years.
https://de.rt.com/nordamerika/106594...audi-arabiens/
Yes, RT, i know ..

Last edited by Catfish; 02-26-21 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-26-21, 08:42 AM   #179
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I see Merkel never condemned the Crown Prince and Germany is still selling arms to Saudi Arabia.

Is this a case of do as I say, not as I do...
Old 02-26-21, 09:18 AM   #180
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I was just about mention how the Europeans just now got around to calling for a ban on their own arms sales to Saudi Arabia. Better late than never I guess.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/eu-p...di-uae/2142020

"The Eurofighter from Airbus is used to bomb hospitals in Yemen," said German Green MEP Hannah Neuman.
"The French mirage bombers are used by the United Arab Emirates to do exactly the same," she added.

https://euobserver.com/foreign/150908

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-26-21 at 09:33 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote