SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-17, 10:43 PM   #26
yamato9
Lieutenant

Downloads: 118
Uploads: 0

Hello,

First i must say that Cold Waters is really remarkable game which after many years of absence returned me back to submarine simulations. Good work Killerfish Games!

Now let return on the subject...
I work on improving realism(or at least increasing difficulty in gameplay) on one CW mod present in DL section of subsim. It will bring decreased submarine maneuverability, realistic TT reloading times, slower rudder responses in order to simulate crew response time on given orders and submarine inertia during sharp turns. Plus new weapons etc...

But now I have problem in determining what torpedo tube time would be realistic for US and what for USSR submarines.

shipkiller1 mentions 15 min per one torpedo tube, on the other hand in book "Cold War Submarines The Design and Construction of U.S. and Soviet Submarines" by Norman Polmar is stated this:

1. That Type XXI after firing first salvo can fire second salvo of 6 tubes after only 10 min.
2. That November class submarines can reload all 8 tubes in only 15 min. Because it has automated reloading system.
3. that Kilo class submarine can reload all of its 6 tubes in a matter of 5 minutes, also because it have automated reloading system.

Alfa and Sierra class submarines also have fully automated TT reloading system.

It is hard to believe for me that US submarines are so much slower in this operation than Russian ones. On other hand russians have a practice to use automation in their submarines (and main battle tanks also).

This is also clearly visible in number of crews in US and Russian subs. Despite Russian submarines are often of higher displacement they usually have 30-50% less crew members on board.

So can I get some let say "general consensus" what should be the torpedo tube reloading time for US and what for USSR subs?
yamato9 is offline   Reply With Quote