SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-13, 02:24 PM   #6616
cuthy2k
Watch

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

hey guys, I have a question regarding the use of deck gun and AAA in GWX.

In the stock game it was possible to ammend the game data files to fire these weapons in wind speed above 7m/s. Is this possible in GWX?

I wouldnt mind terrorising the odd scooner etc that I come across... every tonne counts
cuthy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 02:28 PM   #6617
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthy2k View Post
hey guys, I have a question regarding the use of deck gun and AAA in GWX.

In the stock game it was possible to ammend the game data files to fire these weapons in wind speed above 7m/s. Is this possible in GWX?

I wouldnt mind terrorising the odd scooner etc that I come across... every tonne counts
All weather guns http://www.mediafire.com/?1iyxvweix26rk1g

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 02:54 PM   #6618
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Kudos by the way on creating a new and fresher mod for Silent Hunter III.
I applaude the efforts and results that led to GWX 3.0.
WELCOME ABOARD!

Quote:
Now I am sure that some of you older wolves would poo poo what would be seen by others as some fresh cub's whining and crying because of the difficulty level of the simulation but hear me out.
Not a problem. Everyone's opinion is welcome.

Quote:
No game, no matter how intense the graphics, no matter the time spent on making realistic scenery and dialogue, will stand up to this one simple point.

If the game takes more effort and time than necessary to win, then the game isnt worth the software that it is intregrated into (Anyone remember Ghosts'n Goblins?).
That depends on what you mean by "win". A simulation game isn't necessarily meant to be "won"; it's meant to be experienced. If you're brand new to this kind of thing, then sure you want to just blow stuff up and survive the war. That's fine. When you've been doing it for awhile you'll begin to discover that it becomes more fun to just experience it.

Quote:
I have abstained from using the absolute 100% realisim mode when playing, and I like to keep it at least 33% realistic. 100% is just simply too much.
That's great. Play it the way you find the most enjoyable.

Quote:
If that much realism was needed, the individual might as well travel back in time and experience the terrors and triumphs of u-boat service first hand.
That's actually the point of a mod like GWX - to experience what it might have been like to really do it. On the other hand, that is why there are different difficulty settings. You can make it as easy or as hard as you want.

Quote:
However, even when setting aside the fact that some effort and patience must be practiced by the participant in this simulation (incorporating GWX 3.0) even at 33% realism or less the GWX 3.0 fails in my book to allow for some enjoyment in playing Silent Hunter III.
That's why there are different supermods. They give different experiences.

Quote:
Consider this, I have sailed on 13 seperate patrols, from 1939 to 1940, from Kiel to St. Nazaire. Five patrols resulted in null contacts or sinkings, I sailed around for 33 simulated days on average, recieving only messages of convoys I could neither find (they never showed on the map when radio messages were received), or of lone wolf encounters that likewise never showed on a map. Very frustrating!
Frustrating for someone who just wants to blow stuff up. I can understand that. On the other hand I've played subsims for almost thirty years, from Sid Meier's original Silent Service to SH4. You can reach a point where even an empty patrol is worthwhile and entertaining.

Quote:
Thats all well and good so to speak if we are actually u-boat men, but this is a simulation, a game gentlemen! I did not purchase and download a game and a mode to pick my nose and wonder when the paint would crack on the ceiling!
A simulation and a game are not the same thing. GWX is described right up front as a "realism" mod. If you don't like that, then pick some simple mods to fix what's broken and stay away from anything with the word "realism" in the description.

Quote:
And on the matter of radio messages, with all that skill and effort made to embellish and enrich the overall appearance of SH3 (again, what you all have achieved is spectacular in that respect) you would think to at least allow for some leeway in sendiing reports!

How about letting us give some details on what we encountered in the patrols and having the mod offer some suggestions other than the basic "search at your discretion" nonsense.
The game itself is coded that way, and there's nothing any mod can do to change that. You should probably make that complaint directly to Ubisoft, though I doubt they would listen even if the game wasn't already eight years old. As for GWX, that team broke up several years ago, and while some of them still continue to add things to the mod, no one is going to tear it apart and rewrite it, especially when the feedback they get is overwhelmingly positive. It's done, and you can either live with it or use something else.

Quote:
Do you think Admiral Doenitz would have tolerated such a lax manner of shifting uboats from one grid to the next? Heil No! (play on words was intended)
Game code. Not GWX's fault.

Quote:
And on the four times I encountered convoy's, they were all during horrendous sea storms, and tossing waves that annoyingly had not affect on the destroyers in their chasing me down and turning me into fish food!
Game code. Not GWX's fault.

Quote:
No matter the region, it was always the same storm!
See above. This has been the subject of hundreds of complaints for the past eight years. It will never be fixed, though there are mods that force it to stop. If used, the storm will go away and never come back.

Quote:
The destroyers were really annoying. I know for a fact that it took time to improve anti-submarine warfare tactics and that such efforts were influential in the destruction of uboats but really? come on!

To have a four stacker tub loaned to the brits by the yanks on discount no less! zero me out in the middle of hurricane weather when I am not even moving and at a depth of 120 meters? The bastard zoomed in from 40 miles away and it was supposed to be protecting a convoy? At that range it would have been lucky to have even gotten that far without turning turtle!
I play at 99%, and I've found that destroyers are fairly stupid early in the war, and get better as time passes. So have a great many others. I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble.

Quote:
Granted, it sounds as if I want realism in my favor and not in the favor of the enemy, but should there have not been at least SOME difficulty in getting bearings on my location?
Again, the vast majority of GWX users don't seem to have that problem.

Quote:
A fun improvement to this game this does not make gentlemen!
GWX has been finished for a long time. Harsh words are not going to make a team get back together just to fix what you don't like, especially when you're pretty much alone in that judgement.

Quote:
On the matter of crew promotions and awards and qualifications, to borrow from the song "how many paths must a man walk on, before you can call him a man" (yes I know I don't have the quote correct!) but how many patrols does it take to get a crewmember his uboat clasp? In the career I had, I did 8 patrols before a single sailor got the clasp! What it is up with that?
SH3 Commander lets you give all the medals and badges you want, any time you want. It also lets you adjust a great many parameters of the game easily, and creates a real history for your captain character, and gives names and cargo to the merchants you sink.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2923

Quote:
Okay I am done with my griping for now, and I am sure my gripes are so full of holes and entire convoy of convoys could sail through undetected, but this point must be made: if you want this game and GWX 3.0 to be accessible to all, and that includes little whining cubs llike myself, than I beseech you all to not have this fine game and this otherwise excellent mod (GWX 3.0) go the way of "Ghosts'N Goblins".
Fair enough, and comments good and bad are always welcome. That said, GWX seems to be in no danger of going anywhere, seeing that it is one of the most popular and highly praised mods ever made for any subsim.
Old 05-09-13, 02:57 PM   #6619
Luno
Ensign

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Very frustrating indeed and a post I would gladly tuck into were I not a moderator here so I'll leave this for others to answer.

I'll give you one possible cause/hint/clue...check what theatre of operations you have enabled in JSGME.

Welcome to SubSim.
I wouldn't take it personally Jim (although that could have gone better for a first post).

Konrad, as Jimbuna implied, make sure you haven't activated the optional campaign files for GWX. Med campaign files, for instance, only loads Mediterranean traffic. Only use this if you're in the MTO, and only in the MTO! IF you have a decent computer, or not running many mods, you won't need this at all. It simply speeds up loading times.

GWX is very hard, true. It's not really meant to be played like other games. The "fun" comes from using your imagination and pretending to be in a real situation, even though it's very difficult and stressful (ie, not fun). It's a paradox, but it works for the hardcore simmer.

GWX isn't a mandatory add on. It's advisable to play with the stock game for a while before trying GWX and other additions. You will understand the changes much better afterwords.
Victories: 1 Merchants (4519 GRT), 0 Warships (0 GRT), 0 Aircraft
Sunk with all hands lost.

Luno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 03:50 PM   #6620
cuthy2k
Watch

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
many thanks Jimbuna!

I'm a bit of a no0b though... how would I get this working with GWX3?
cuthy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 04:08 PM   #6621
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthy2k View Post
many thanks Jimbuna!

I'm a bit of a no0b though... how would I get this working with GWX3?
Enable with JSGME.

Old 05-09-13, 04:10 PM   #6622
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luno View Post
I wouldn't take it personally Jim (although that could have gone better for a first post).
Never have and never will matey but reading back I can agree how it may have looked.

Old 05-10-13, 10:10 AM   #6623
N_Thomek
Nub

Downloads: 4

Hi there, my first post on this forum. First I must say that I love the GWX mod!

And that getting SH3 to run in HD on a modern comp was a little nightmare..
(Hi res patch + editing cfgs in GWX folders to disable the torpedo button..)

Anyway now everything works smoothly, except I have a problem:

Got a technical question about heavy rolling in the IIA. As a sailor, I disagree with the amount and type of roll experienced in the 2A at periscope depth. (It's too fast basically, a heavy object that far under the waves should roll slower and less in general. Not talking about storms here, but 10m/s winds..)

As a player I find it perhaps a bit too hard to set the mast height of my targets with the amount of roll experienced.

Now the great question:

Is there a way to reduce or slow down the amount of roll in the IIA?

Best regards,
Thomek

The only mods installed are the latest GWX3 with 16km atmo, Enhanced damage, and integrated orders. SH3 1.4b

And yes, I tried googling for hours.. I need help!
N_Thomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 10:14 AM   #6624
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Sailor Steve, I salute you! Your patience, forbearance, and understanding should serve as an example to us all. I would very much like to think that I could have composed a response like yours, but frankly I doubt it. Kudos! You are a mensch.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 10:31 AM   #6625
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Thomek View Post
Got a technical question about heavy rolling in the IIA. As a sailor, I disagree with the amount and type of roll experienced in the 2A at periscope depth. (It's too fast basically, a heavy object that far under the waves should roll slower and less in general. Not talking about storms here, but 10m/s winds..)

As a player I find it perhaps a bit too hard to set the mast height of my targets with the amount of roll experienced.

Now the great question:

Is there a way to reduce or slow down the amount of roll in the IIA?
Welcome aboard, N_Thomek!

Easiest way to correct it is to turn it off in the Realism (sic) options. Just uncheck No Stabilize View. IIRC, h.sie says that Hitman says (Whew!) that playing with stabilization on is closer to R/L U-boats than the heavy roll you are fighting. Stock, it's a 5% hit on renown, but you can just edit the GameplaySettings.cfg file to make that go away. (Or live with the -5% - either way, it is your game. No prizes are awarded.) Play NYGM, and it's no hit at all.

I don't know of any mods that affect pitch and roll, but I'd guess they almost certainly exist. After 8+ years, there's nearly a mod for everything. Anybody else help here?
Old 05-10-13, 12:22 PM   #6626
Luno
Ensign

Thomsen's ships affects pitch & roll and acceleration of most sea craft. I haven't been playing around with it enough, but I think it also affects player subs. TMT has been combined with the latest version of Thomsen's ships (4.4).

Also, try the OLC Gui. The annoying range-finding mechanic in SH3 gets replaced with a much better one, although it will take a bit to re-learn it. In stock, you have to select the ship in the recognition manual, and you have to be "locked on" to try to match the height with the stadimeter. To find its speed, lock on to it and let the stopwatch run for 15 seconds.

Usually very boring, but in high seas it's impossible as it keeps unlocking, and clearing the data notepad!

The OLC Gui allows you to take measurements without locking the target, and calculations are done with a slide rule, not automagically. You have much greater control over the accuracy of your readings.

If you enjoy it, also try MaGui and ACM reloaded for OLC. Hitman's Optics is the most realistic.

I currently use ACM reloaded. I especially like the scope filters, dark backgrounds, extra tools like the attack disk, and replacement of the redundant attack map in F6 view with a complete TDC unit.

Old 05-10-13, 12:43 PM   #6627
N_Thomek
Nub

Downloads: 4

Ok thank you very much guys, will try that!

The all manual things also seem very interesting, is there also a way to make the map view more abstract, less detailed? It pinpoints the position of ships making it very easy to precisely calculate the speed and distance of targets.

I can somehow buy that the hydrophone can estimate ranges, but not as accurately as it seems to do. That the periscope or UZO can estimate range, without identifying the target is more strange..

Thx in advance guys!

T

Also quick but stupid question, the interface overlay is hiding part of my recognition manual. Any keypress or smth to see it better?
N_Thomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 02:11 PM   #6628
Luno
Ensign

Press the button on the recognition manual with two arrows pointing up and down. This switches the page. However, most recognition manuals didn't actually have diagrams of the ships from four angles like that. Rick's Recognition Manual mod is a must for those who prefer more challenge in identifying targets.

You can turn off the hydrophone lines with "no map contact updates" in the difficulty options.

Old 05-10-13, 04:23 PM   #6629
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Thomek View Post
is there also a way to make the map view more abstract, less detailed? It pinpoints the position of ships making it very easy to precisely calculate the speed and distance of targets.
Try this mod. It's one of my favorites.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1328

A harbor full of ships, and the only one that shows up is the on I IDed.

Old 05-10-13, 08:20 PM   #6630
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Steve, it's a great mod, but that tail on the sub really turns me off. Is there any way to get a bob-tailed sub icon? NYGM does away with it. But the only way I found to lose it in GWX is to turn off map updates, which loses the Assisted Plotting mod. :p