Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-20, 01:47 PM   #12556
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

I'm not a Europe-hater old boy infact I'm far from it, and to prove it, the next time you see Alice Sara Ott who is a German\Japanese pianist ask her for a date on my behalf, oh yeah, and keep your bleeding mitts off her or else.

Alice Sara Ott.
Old 03-01-20, 03:12 PM   #12557
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

ok ok I will try not to comment on brexit in the future, but Johnson delivers those "Steilvorlagen" all the time, it is really hard

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 03-02-20, 07:55 AM   #12558
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

In the most basic terms I can muster this is how I, a Brexit voter admittedly, see things.

The EU in the beginning was a great idea imho especially as it was intended to promote free trade amongst Europe, therefore making everyone a winner.

What it has evolved into is something far more unmanageable and overpowering.

Freedom of travel is okay but what is not is the control of the government legislation and borders of all member countries through all the means we are all aware of, trade being a further example.

I believe all the above can be bundled into one word, 'Sovereignty' and that is one step too far for the majority of the British population especially bearing in mind what sacrifices they made in both world wars to re-establish that very position on the mainland of Europe.

I further believe Britain wishes to remain on good friendly/neighbourly terms with Europe but not at the price of being dictated to regarding just about every EU requirement that can be thrown at us.

Hopefully there will be a fair and transparent outcome by the end of the year, one that is acceptable to both sides.

Failing that, the present UK government were given a sizeable majority based on Brexit to carry on regardless and if that is the eventual outcome then that will be a shame because both sides will be damaged in terms of trade mainly.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-02-20, 02:56 PM   #12559
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Obviously there is something wrong down in the halls of power atm
Quote:
A former aide to Priti Patel received a £25,000 payout from the government after claiming she was bullied by the then employment minister.

Legal correspondence seen by the BBC alleges the woman took an overdose of prescription medicine following the alleged incident in 2015.

The DWP did not admit liability and the case did not come before a tribunal.

Ms Patel is facing allegations - which she denies - that she mistreated staff in her new role as home secretary.

Sir Philip Rutnam, the Home Office's most senior official, resigned on Saturday alleging Ms Patel's conduct towards staff included "swearing, belittling people, making unreasonable and repeated demands".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51705069
Coincidence?

Old 03-03-20, 06:45 AM   #12560
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Catfish, I like Europe it's the EU that is the problem. I feel Europe would do better without this bloated organisation that is a sham.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-03-20, 07:44 AM   #12561
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The challenge facing Labour's next leader has been laid bare by internal research suggesting the party is facing "one of its worst" results in recent history in May's local elections.

An internal party document, passed to the BBC, says it should brace itself for the loss of councils including Plymouth, Amber Valley and Harlow.

In a worst-case scenario, Labour risks losing 315 seats and control of historic strongholds such as Sheffield.

Voters go to the polls on 7 May.

Seats in about 118 councils in England will be up for grabs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51709639
The Corbyn legacy lives on.

Old 03-03-20, 07:46 AM   #12562
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
"I think that on trade issues," said the French Foreign Minister, Jean-Yves le Drian, "we are going to rip each other apart."

The war of words about a potential trade agreement between the UK and the EU is heating up.

But that's to be expected.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51575095
Interesting times ahead?

Old 03-03-20, 02:47 PM   #12563
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Catfish, I like Europe it's the EU that is the problem. I feel Europe would do better without this bloated organisation that is a sham.
You didn't address your comment to me, but I still feel need to strongly disagree with you. The EU is lightyears away from perfect, but so it has kept European countries away from each other's throuts except in verbal sense. Freedom of movement for capital, goods, servies and people without barriers has boosted economy in many countires in addition to practical advantages to the citizens of EU countries.

I'm not expert in these matters but I believe that we are now harvesting problems created during Cold War. At the time promises were made to the Eastern bloc countries that they would be welcome to the EU whenever they wanted. When time came to deliver these promises the EU and its existing member states chose set additional conditions for membership. Among others these included democracy, rule of law and human rights.

These conditions have led to situations where democracy, rule of law and human rights are applied only to minimum standard required to achive membership. Currently we are facing situation where some member states are questioning core values of the EU and at the same time there are no tools to enforce them. My personal opinion is that the EU as institution has focused too much into expansion without consideration for dissimilar values between former Western and Eastern bloc countries.

I believe that if no agreement is reached on sanctions to rule breakers, the EU should be broken into (atleast) two new organizations based on shared values rather than extension of status quo. Such break up could also simplify decision making in econimic questions as currently there are conflicting interests between regions of the EU (ofcourse this also happens in national level).
Old 03-04-20, 08:58 AM   #12564
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson has told MPs he is "sticking by" Home Secretary Priti Patel, following further allegations of bullying against her.

Claims she mistreated staff would "of course" be investigated, he said at Prime Minister's Questions.

But he hailed Ms Patel as an "outstanding" home secretary who was "delivering change".

The Cabinet Office is investigating several allegations about Ms Patel's behaviour, which she denies.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51737677
I'd be careful Boris if I were you, this could all blow up in your face.

Old 03-04-20, 09:12 AM   #12565
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Workers will get statutory sick pay from the first day off work, not the fourth, to help contain coronavirus, the prime minister has said.

Boris Johnson said people who self-isolate are helping to protect others from the virus and should not be "penalised for doing the right thing".

It means those receiving statutory sick pay would get an extra £40.

England's chief medical officer earlier said it was "likely" the virus will become an epidemic in the UK.

Prof Chris Whitty also told BBC Breakfast that up to 80% of the population could be infected with coronavirus, which causes Covid-19, "in the worst-case scenario".

Officials believe up to a fifth of the workforce may be off sick during the peak of an epidemic in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51738837
Not wishing to appear over cynical but I can see this being abused by quite a few people.

Old 03-05-20, 06:47 AM   #12566
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Sir Keir Starmer and Rebecca Long-Bailey have been challenged about their electability and leadership skills in BBC interviews with Andrew Neil.

Asked whether he had the charisma to transform Labour's fortunes, Sir Keir said there were "different ways to inspire people" and his "unrelenting" mission was to return Labour to power.

Mrs Long-Bailey said she had the "big ideas" needed to win the next election.

The pair also were also quizzed on donations and action on anti-Semitism.

In separate interviews broadcast on the Andrew Neil show, both the Labour leadership contenders committed to retain key policies from the party's 2019 manifesto despite its overwhelming defeat.

The third contender for the Labour crown, Lisa Nandy, was grilled by Andrew Neil last month.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51744481
Same old same old.

Old 03-06-20, 07:43 AM   #12567
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
MPs are to receive an inflation-busting 3.1 per cent pay rise, bringing their basic annual salary to almost £82,000, the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority has announced.

The increase, revealed on Thursday, will raise MPs' basic pay from £79,468 to £81,932 and will be effective from 1 April.

It represents a substantial real-terms increase at a time when inflation is running at 1.8 per cent on the CPI measure.

MPs will also receive increased expenses to cover the cost of staffing their parliamentary offices.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9377776.html
I can see this going down like a lead balloon with the public

Old 03-07-20, 09:03 AM   #12568
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
There remain "serious" differences between the UK and EU after the first round of trade talks, the bloc's chief negotiator has said.

Michel Barnier said "very difficult" areas needed to be resolved, but a "good agreement for both sides" remained possible.

He said there were disagreements over competition rules, police co-operation, and how a deal would be enforced.

Mr Barnier also dismissed UK proposals on fishing as "impractical".

A UK government spokesperson said there were "significant differences" between the two sides in some areas, but talks had been "constructive".

"These are going to be tough negotiations - this is just the first round," they added. "We now have a good idea where both parties are coming from."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51755843
There's the reference to fish again....punching way above its weight in my estimation.

If the EU want access to UK waters so baly, then come up with a decent deal both parties can agree upon.

Old 03-07-20, 11:08 AM   #12569
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Aye, its punching above its weight because this government has made it so, Bozo has to get this right or he's going to look like a bloody idiot, oh wait.....

If they had negotiated a good fish deal in the first place this wouldn't be such a big issue, as it currently stands, you've got foreign fishermen coming over to British waters and taking upwards of half or more of any fish stock. It needs to be sorted out to the benefit of the British fishermen before any other trade negotiations take place, if the government sell out as they usually do most of that good will they've been given is going to be taken away, tread carefully Bozo.
Old 03-07-20, 11:16 AM   #12570
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Labour leadership contender Lisa Nandy has spoken out against "faction fighting" under Jeremy Corbyn.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51752969
Very brave or very stupid speaking out against the Left in the party?

My opinion, a bit of both.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics