SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-20, 03:06 PM   #61
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

The other thing to remember about the ADL and many of these orgs is that that deliberately inflate the number of so-called "extremist" acts by lumping in a bunch of unrelated crimes. Makes for good copy, but basically means that the left-wing rhetoric that right wing violence is on the rise is a lie.

Quote:
The ADL's extremism statistics make it seem like ultraright-wing violence in the US is more common than it actually is

In 2015, Michael Augustine Bournes, 59, murdered his wife and three young children, then set his house on fire, before finally fatally shooting himself. An acquaintance told police that Bournes had called him after the murders and said his wife had been "mocking him and riding him all day." The family was living "off the grid" in a house in Montana not hooked up to public utilities. Police said Bournes was "a constitutionalist who didn't believe in government" and had anti-government literature in his pickup.

In 2008, Cynthia Lynch, 43, filed an online application to join an Oklahoma branch of the Ku Klux Klan. During her initiation ceremony, police say Lynch either tried to back out or got into an argument with the Klansmen; she was shot to death and mutilated, her remains dumped nearby.

In 2006, four members of the white supremacist Aryan Brotherhood took 46-year-old Jack Christen to a remote location and demanded to know what he told police about their methamphetamine operation. One of them shot and killed Christen.

Each of these crimes is counted as an "extremist incident" by the Anti-Defamation League, whose statistics have been presented by media outlets as the gold standard for reporting on extremists of the white nationalist, anti-government, left-wing anarchist, and radical Islamist varieties in the US.

These are each deeply upsetting stories of horrific acts of violence, but when you read them, do you think "terrorism"?
https://www.businessinsider.com/adl-...-league-2020-4

If you want to make a case that right-wing extremism is on the rise in the USA, you need something more solid than relying on manipulated data put out by left-wing groups like the SPLC and ADL.
Old 09-24-20, 03:19 PM   #62
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Maybe he could find out about alt-right nationalism in his home state. The ADL (I know, another communist scum of the earth organization) lists more than 600 incidents involving white supremacy propaganda in TX in 2019/20. So there is a fair chance to get together. Unfortunately Neil always just misses them.

You are that arrogant to think that you can lecture a person about their own home? That you have a better view than he does about anything regarding Texas?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 04:12 PM   #63
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

^Leven Jung, a lack of reading comprehension and a argumentum ad hominem. I'm puzzled.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 04:32 PM   #64
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Haven't meet any.

Have you met persons expressing their support for these extremists.

I have met a few of these in real life(not worth becoming a friend) and on FB(those got blocked)

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 07:01 PM   #65
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Umm...not going to comment on the political implications. First off, let me just say I regret the tone of some of my prior posts in this forum. To all those I was angry at earlier, I apologize.

As for the Justice, I am saddened by her death. One of my family members worked with her on the job, and she was kind in her dealings with subordinates. She and her husband were really sweet on each other despite being married for decades; I always admire elderly couples. How do they tolerate each other for so long...lol.

She was good friends with Justice Scalia despite their political differences and they used to hike together....perhaps a good lesson for all of us.

And the late Mr. Ginsburg taught me briefly several years ago when I took a tax course; he was just as down-to-earth and courteous as she was. Condolences to her family.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 07:53 PM   #66
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Umm...not going to comment on the political implications. First off, let me just say I regret the tone of some of my prior posts in this forum. To all those I was angry at earlier, I apologize.
Very nice of you iambecomelife ... Plus how rare ...

You and me are the two best guys on here and I'm not too sure about you
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 08:23 PM   #67
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Very nice of you iambecomelife ... Plus how rare ...

You and me are the two best guys on here and I'm not too sure about you
that's plagiarism! You read my sig! and it's "You and I" you illiterate bugger...Good thing Sailor Steve's not around; he got me a few times for plagiarism: Yellow tag for sure BBY!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 08:49 PM   #68
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
that's plagiarism! You read my sig! and it's "You and I" you illiterate bugger...Good thing Sailor Steve's not around; he got me a few times for plagiarism: Yellow tag for sure BBY!
Why don't you just take Steve's job while your at it?

I forgive you and me too
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 03:29 AM   #69
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
[...]
I forgive you and #MeToo
Corrected

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 10:12 PM   #70
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Maybe he could find out about alt-right nationalism in his home state. The ADL (I know, another communist scum of the earth organization) lists more than 600 incidents involving white supremacy propaganda in TX in 2019/20. So there is a fair chance to get together. Unfortunately Neil always just misses them.

Lol, my name is on my profile and you seem to have trouble spelling it kerrectly. If you cannot note the basic things right in front of your face I'm not sure how accurate you are with your facts, sir.

600 incidents. Ha.
Onkel Neal is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-20, 11:17 PM   #71
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Lol, my name is on my profile and you seem to have trouble spelling it kerrectly.
Sorry, corrected.

Maybe you missed my question in #60:

Have you ever come across "Patriot Front" posters/stickers?

And what do think about this organization?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 09-25-20, 11:31 PM   #72
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Speaking for myself, no, I've never come across them and don't know what to think about them because, I've never heard of them, seen them, encountered them, talked to them, anything of them. Maybe they're overrated.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 12:03 AM   #73
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Thank you Neal

Old 09-26-20, 04:39 AM   #74
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Most fitting.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 09:54 AM   #75
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Sorry, corrected.

Maybe you missed my question in #60:

Have you ever come across "Patriot Front" posters/stickers?

And what do think about this organization?
I don't think I have but to be 100% honest, I don't pay attention to these kind of groups, along with religious groups. Maybe I am oblivious, it's possible I have seen a Patriot Front sticker and did not register it.

I don't disagree that these groups exist but my I think they are tiny numbers per capita. Let me give you an example: I'm 60 and lived in Texas my whole life. The Ku Klux Klan is supposedly the most notable hate group I've ever heard of. I've met and known probably 5000 people in my 40 years as an adult, and I have never known or heard of a single guy who is in the KKK. None. Not a crazy neighbor or a co-worker, hunting friends, motorcycle buddies. None. The closest thing I know of is my best friend's ex-wife's brother, who spent a lot of time in prison and there are white power groups there. Which makes sense, prison is where bad people go. (Which circles back to my long time gripe that our justice system needs to keep these kind of people in prison longer.)

My whole point in our discussion is: the huge protest crowd- thing is more about GTA cosplay than real "systemic racism"; the Left is blowing the problem of racism out of proportion to what I have seen and lived with here. And the "Nazi" thing, imo, that's just nonsense created by people who use it as a club to silence and intimidate people who have opinions other than their own. I've seen THAT a lot more than "Nazis in Texas".
Onkel Neal is online   Reply With Quote