SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-07, 07:22 AM   #1
U99
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sub Command in windows Vista?

Hi all

I have a quick question. I own sub command and really liked the game... but I haven't played it for some time. In the meantime I got a new computer and upgraded to Vista. I thought I would install it again. It installs fine but then doesn't run...

any ideas how to make this game run in Vista? also, would it be worth me buying Dangerous Waters and does that work properly in Vista?

thanks
U99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 12:47 PM   #2
Ramius
Commander

Downloads: 43

Not really sure what your problem is, but i've got Sub Command (and Dangerous Waters) installed and working fine with Vista.
Old 11-29-07, 01:02 PM   #3
U99
Watch

thanks Ramius thats promising. sorry I was a little vague I will try to reinstall it and give a more exact account of what happens. Problem is I don't have the disk with me at Uni, will be a couple of weeks till I can try it out once more.
Old 11-30-07, 03:01 PM   #4
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

These are the things I hate when a new OS is introduced. I want backwards compatibility. If it worked in the lastest revision of the last OS, it should work in the new OS. It seems like some software works on some and not on others. So there are other configurations that vary that may give different results as well. Not necessarily just the OS. Very frustrating here. What that tells me is that if I upgrade, it will be a roll of the dice.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-07, 02:43 PM   #5
U99
Watch

yeah, i feel your pain Sea Demon. I really hope I can get it to work when I try again.

Oh, as a side note (if I get it working)... I recall a bug I had when I first played it. After firing a certain number of times, the weapons would no longer launch. as in, I would go to FC, press all the buttons, flood, equalise, open door... FIRE and i'd get the sound effect but nothing leaves the tube and it's still shown as full. no re-attempting does any good. it was really really limiting especially since i couldnt fire more than about half my VLS on the 688i before it froze up my FC like this.
Old 12-06-07, 03:07 PM   #6
Ramius
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by U99
..Oh, as a side note (if I get it working)... I recall a bug I had when I first played it. After firing a certain number of times, the weapons would no longer launch. as in, I would go to FC, press all the buttons, flood, equalise, open door... FIRE and i'd get the sound effect but nothing leaves the tube and it's still shown as full. no re-attempting does any good. it was really really limiting especially since i couldnt fire more than about half my VLS on the 688i before it froze up my FC like this.
Thats an easy one to sort out

You need to recharge your AIR so that you can fire again
Old 12-06-07, 03:34 PM   #7
U99
Watch

you mean compressed air? OK i feel like an idiot now... except i was still able to do depth changes just fine, doesnt that use up air?
Old 12-15-07, 07:55 AM   #8
U99
Watch

alright I got it up and running with SCXIIc

now...one small hitch. the sub chooser in SCXIIc always give me the following error leading to a failure to chose a sub:

"Unable to copy periscope.dll from interfaces/AkulaII (or ssn21, or 688i)"

anything I can do about this?
Old 12-15-07, 02:26 PM   #9
Ramius
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by U99
alright I got it up and running with SCXIIc

now...one small hitch. the sub chooser in SCXIIc always give me the following error leading to a failure to chose a sub:

"Unable to copy periscope.dll from interfaces/AkulaII (or ssn21, or 688i)"

anything I can do about this?
Yea, I had that too and wasn't able to get around it
Might be something to do with running as Adminsitrator or something like that.
Not 100% sure about it.

Sorry can't help any more but i've gone back to XP (for time being) to try and get another problematic program sorted out. But that doesnt look like it was a Vista problem now
Old 12-15-07, 06:12 PM   #10
U99
Watch

well, my Usersub has defaulted to a Victor III and I cant change it... i guess thats one extra. I'll just enjoy the beter 3D models and mproved gameplay for now im glad tp be back to this game!!!