Closed Thread

Old 01-22-20, 09:54 AM   #8416
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Odds are those subpoenas would have been challenged in court and either severely restricted or quashed by a judge.
And of course the same thing would likely happen if the subpoenas were issued by the Senate. And I can't believe that Democrats are dumb enough to not realize that it would go that way. It's a game and Mitch won that round.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 01-22-20, 11:24 AM   #8417
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

This has nothing to do with the trial, the acquittal of Trump is a foregone conclusion.

What the Democrats are doing now is forcing GOP senators to take potentially embarassing votes that can be used in attack ads. The Dems goal is to take back control of the Senate, it is a longshot for 2020, but McSally (AZ), Collins (MA) and Gardner (CO) are all vulnerable.
Old 01-22-20, 01:42 PM   #8418
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
This has nothing to do with the trial, the acquittal of Trump is a foregone conclusion.

few weeks ago, U.S. Rep. Steve Scalise, a Republican from Louisiana, gave the impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump a nickname, using the hashtag #KangarooCourt in a tweet. It’s an evocative phrase, even if you’re not sure what it means, and kangaroo itself is, for English, an unusual word. Kangaroo doesn’t look like many other English words because it comes from the indigenous Australian language Guugu Yimithirr, although it took scholars a long time to accept that. Even now the Oxford English Dictionary doesn’t quite buy it, granting only that kangaroo is “stated to have been the name in an Australian Aboriginal language.”
The doubt arises because British explorers recorded different words for the same animal. In 1770, Captain James Cook landed in northern Australia and wrote down “Kangooroo or Kanguru.” John Hunter mapped land near modern-day Sydney and learned that the word was “patagorong.” Lancelot Threlkeld, a missionary working north of Sydney, heard “mo-a-ne.” Rather than drawing the obvious conclusion, that these are three different words because they come from three different languages, the Oxford English Dictionary prefers to consider the matter unsettled.

Linguists and lexicographers agree, though, that the word’s popular folk etymology is wrong. The story holds that when Cook arrived, he pointed at an animal and asked, “What is this?” His interlocutor responded “kangaroo,” meaning “I don’t understand,” which Cook took to be the animal’s name.

Despite the Australian antecedents of kangaroo, the kangaroo court was originally an American institution. Merriam-Webster defines it as “a mock court” or one “characterized by irresponsible, unauthorized, or irregular status or procedures.” No one knows precisely where the term comes from – it might have originated during the lawless days of the California gold rush, when miners had to create their own court system to adjudicate disputes over claim jumping. Another theory speculates that these courts earned the name “kangaroo” because they “jump to conclusions.”
THE DONALD DOES LOOK A LITTLE...GOO-GOO EYED AT THAT

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 01-22-20, 02:37 PM   #8419
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:

What the Democrats are doing now is forcing GOP senators to take potentially embarassing votes that can be used in attack ads. The Dems goal is to take back control of the Senate, it is a longshot for 2020, but McSally (AZ), Collins (MA) and Gardner (CO) are all vulnerable.
I saw this in my news feed this morning ... This reason would cause some concern

It is quite obvious that the democrats want the Republicans to think like they do ... How stupid is that

They must be playing this card game to entice new voters to side with them ... Still eight (8) months left to entice them
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 01-22-20, 03:40 PM   #8420
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Have just seen some senates name Adam speaking in the Senat.

I was confused now and then

In the bottom of the screen it was written

Rep. Adam Last name (D)

I have learned that Rep is a shortage for Republican and (D) is shortage for District s/he is coming from.

Secondly I have through our news media and in this thread learned they are strictly party voters

But this Rep. Adam so to say attacked Trump...that's why I was confused now and then.

I thought the Rep in the Senate supported President Trump.

Markus
Old 01-22-20, 03:48 PM   #8421
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:

It's Collins of Maine, (ME not MA) but I have to agree with you, it's all about the upcoming election. I believe control of the Senate and the House are tied to the presidential race. At this point both parties ride on their candidates coat tails. If Trump wins in November then the GoP will also do well and vice versa with the Dems and whoever they nominate. Split ticket voters are going to be few and far between and the result could mean a trifecta win for one party.
August is online  
Old 01-22-20, 04:07 PM   #8422
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Have just seen some senates name Adam speaking in the Senat.

I was confused now and then

In the bottom of the screen it was written

Rep. Adam Last name (D)

I have learned that Rep is a shortage for Republican and (D) is shortage for District s/he is coming from.

Secondly I have through our news media and in this thread learned they are strictly party voters

But this Rep. Adam so to say attacked Trump...that's why I was confused now and then.

I thought the Rep in the Senate supported President Trump.

Markus
Rep stands for Representative. He is not a Senator or a Republican. He is the U.S. Representative for California's 28th congressional district and is a Democrat.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 01-22-20, 05:15 PM   #8423
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

^ Thank you for enlighten me.

After I wrote my last comment I came to the conclusion it can't be Republican.

I also remembered it's the Dem who's presenting their case first.

Edit
Additional thoughts on this impeachment

I see this as some kind of dramatisation or if you prefer a farce.

I have never seen or heard of a trial where one side wasn't allowed to present their strongest evidence(Witness)In this case the Prosecutor which is (D).
While the defence(R) will allowed witness who is a benefit for President Trump to witness
They are in majority and I presume they will vote for the party and the benefit of the President.

In a real court every evidence shall be presented from both side-evidence who may tie the accused to the crime and evidence who's a benefit for the accused.

End of Edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 01-22-20 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 06:24 PM   #8424
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Congress had all the time in the world to present evidence and EYE witnesses accounts during the impeachment hearing, they never did. The articles of impeachment were sent to the Senate anyways.

IMO this has been a highly divisive and politically motivated farce from the get go.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online  
Old 01-23-20, 07:35 PM   #8425
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

I have never seen or heard of a trial where one side wasn't allowed to present their strongest evidence(Witness)In this case the Prosecutor which is (D).
While the defence(R) will allowed witness who is a benefit for President Trump to witness

What you mean like when the Democrats refused to allow the Republicans to call any witnesses during the Impeachment hearings? You mean that kind of farce?
August is online  
Old 01-23-20, 08:23 PM   #8426
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

You mean those witnesses that would just talk about Biden and ignore the subject called Trump?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 01-23-20, 09:52 PM   #8427
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
You mean those witnesses that would just talk about Biden and ignore the subject called Trump?

That only plays if you believe that Biden is immune from any sort of investigation of criminal behavior as long as he's, well he's not actually running against the president yet, just one of the 20 or so Democratic candidates vying for their parties nomination. What was that Pelosi saying nobody is above the law? Guess she actually meant only Republicans.
August is online  
Old 01-23-20, 10:38 PM   #8428
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
That only plays if you believe that Biden is immune from any sort of investigation of criminal behavior as long as he's, well he's not actually running against the president yet, just one of the 20 or so Democratic candidates vying for their parties nomination. What was that Pelosi saying nobody is above the law? Guess she actually meant only Republicans.
Agreed. I'm not defending Biden so he may very well have his time, or not, but he is not the President, and what that means is what this is all about. Trump may want to drain the swamp but the swamp has always been there and isn't going away in his lifetime, or mine. It's why we are arguing about it anyway so it must be working or there is no argument, no freedom.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 01-23-20, 10:56 PM   #8429
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Well, if the Democrats were not trying to impeach Trump from day 1, maybe I could take this partisan circus seriously, but... this fool was on it from the get-go.

Old 01-24-20, 10:34 PM   #8430
August
Wayfaring Stranger

I'm just waiting for the next attempt once this one goes down in flames. Ukraine can't be the Democrats last shot. Given the way the senate trial is going there's likely to be time afterwards for one more invented scandal before the election and I figure the they must have something teed up. Can't wait to see what it is.
August is online  
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter