SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-10, 11:57 AM   #31
Einsman
Engineer

Location: In one place in the Atlantic, say A Coruña, Galiza (Spain)
Downloads: 187
Uploads: 0

Very nice!!! Downloading...

Slowly going to look like a simulator. 5th installment of the Silent Hunter series and have not learned anything from Ubi Soft developers. It's a shame ...

Sorry for my English. In my language write better.
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 12:20 PM   #32
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Since I've uninstalled SH5, I can't test this mod, however the screenshots hinted to me that something is wrong. I downloaded the mod, and looked around the files. And yes, something is definitely wrong.

Any optics image used in this game must behave like a background that stretches uniformly until the image reaches the sides of the screen. Please look at this tutorial:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163118

In the page files I've seen that all new optic images have a zone that looks like this:

Zone= 0 896 1024 1024 1 1 0x26060000 0.5 -0.5 0x26000001 -0.5 0.5 0 0

That red "1" corresponds to a scaling mode of constantAspectRatioVertical.

You need to use constantAspectRatioHorizontal for any backgrounds and any optics. This isn't just for looks, as you can see from the pics, the horizontal marks don't correspond with the vertical marks. Your pics were made on a 16:10 resolution which, if I'm right, should induce a 1.2 (1.6/1.33) scaling error horizontally. And using a simple ruler, I saw that in your pics 10 marks vertical correspond to about 8.3 marks horizontal. 10/8.3=1.20....
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 12:40 PM   #33
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

The Pages files are a part of Darkwraiths mod so I have no modification to any of them (other than the binocular page). That being said the constant aspect ratio that you are seeing is the stock settings for those.

Also the marks are drawn further apart horizontal than they are vertical so that may be the difference you see in the screenshot.
emtguf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 01:24 PM   #34
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtguf View Post
The Pages files are a part of Darkwraiths mod so I have no modification to any of them (other than the binocular page). That being said the constant aspect ratio that you are seeing is the stock settings for those.

Also the marks are drawn further apart horizontal than they are vertical so that may be the difference you see in the screenshot.
Ups, my bad, I didn't realize that the horizontal marks were in degrees. Plus, a constantAspectRatioVertical would not create squashing anyway. However, the rest of my statement is true. Sorry, I can't test this, but can you post 2 pics with the same ship in your sight, one at a 4:3 resolution and one at a 16:10 resolution? In both, the ship should have the exact same size. However, because of that scaling factor, it won't.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 01:35 PM   #35
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
Ups, my bad, I didn't realize that the horizontal marks were in degrees. Plus, a constantAspectRatioVertical would not create squashing anyway. However, the rest of my statement is true. Sorry, I can't test this, but can you post 2 pics with the same ship in your sight, one at a 4:3 resolution and one at a 16:10 resolution? In both, the ship should have the exact same size. However, because of that scaling factor, it won't.
I understand what you are saying. I am working on cameras.cam files to work with other resolutions since I really can't change the pages files as they are not a part of my mod.
One of the things I am doing to get it ready for Version 1.7 actually
Old 03-28-10, 02:01 PM   #36
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtag View Post
Does the range lines turn green during night now like the originals does?
No, just the crosshairs... be nice if it gets working though.
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 02:23 PM   #37
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSeal View Post
No, just the crosshairs... be nice if it gets working though.
Not sure exactly where the green line is being generated from. If I can find it I can look into building green lines for the range. However the green lines are projected onto the texture not a part of the texture itself so not sure if it will be possible.
Old 03-28-10, 02:23 PM   #38
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

Update in first post. Added support via patch for other aspect ratios.(4:3, and 5:4)
Old 03-28-10, 06:44 PM   #39
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

Update Version 1.7 released
Old 03-28-10, 07:02 PM   #40
Dwail
Sailor man

Downloads: 196

I-M-P-R-E-S-I-V-E!!!!!......... F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!!!!....... Olé! (expresion of my country)
Dwail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 08:01 PM   #41
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

Yeah, just tried out the latest version... wow! Nice job.

I can see that I'll have to use the OBS for night attacks now but with the filter I'm already using it more than the attack scope now.
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 08:43 PM   #42
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSeal View Post
Yeah, just tried out the latest version... wow! Nice job.

I can see that I'll have to use the OBS for night attacks now but with the filter I'm already using it more than the attack scope now.
I am doing the same actually. Although I still like the Attack scope for daylight attacks.
I tried many different scopes for the attack scope and I think this version really gives you an idea how much smaller the optic head was than the obs scope.
Old 03-28-10, 09:42 PM   #43
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

Thank you for making SHV a Playable sim!!!
Old 03-28-10, 10:37 PM   #44
Frederf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Very nice!

Hitman knows a lot more than I do, but it seems odd to me that the binoculars would have those markings and the UZO would not, since the UZO is just a special set of binoculars mounted into a frame.
I know what you mean but there's a PDF floating around that definately says that the UZO had a single vertical marking. I can't speak as to how the non-UZO binoculars should look.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 11:45 PM   #45
emtguf
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
I know what you mean but there's a PDF floating around that definately says that the UZO had a single vertical marking. I can't speak as to how the non-UZO binoculars should look.
That pdf has a picture of the recticule for the binoculars as well. Thats what I based mine off of.