SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-16, 10:51 AM   #1
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Icon14 First impressions of alpha demo

I love it!

Only solo play at the mo but I've watched a few vids and can see the massive co-op potential. I could quite happily park my my arse at the wireless for hours punching code and getting quality time with the hydrophones and relaying info, knowing that the rest of the crew is taking care of the boat and watching out for my arse! (or, potentially getting it into danger!)

The graphics are great and the equipment/virtual controls work fine. My only dislike is the rudimentary depth controls (no dive planes) but really this and other control omissions are just an aesthetic issue at this point so it's kind of irrelevant. In fact, when you consider that in most (all?) other sims you simply click/order a depth and it just happens this is still a step up. The point is the player can control depth quite functionally. My only concern would be whether there is provision for the dev's to add components later in the development (it's looking kinda fixed).

Most of the stuff on the sub seems to operate in a fairly historic fashion which is bloody good work for a couple of young guys that don't have a background in subsimming.

There is nothing to be gained from nitpicking realism or wishing for features at this stage. With it's basic design this game seems to provide more realism than any other sim around through it's multi-crew foundation.

@Skvader A couple of observations:

Rotatable interfaces REALLY need to be controlled by the mouse wheel. The current system is onerous and may put people off.

Every reference to 'engine' in the Engine room (except for the compartment name of course) need's to be changed to 'motor'. These English terms are long established and are NOT interchangeable in a submarine environment. I was thoroughly perplexed on stepping into the engine room because of this and it may put other people off.

Is it possible to incorporate minor changes into the demo download before the Kickstarter runs out in two weeks? If so I have another thought; You mentioned that German/Japanese translations would help you reach broader markets. If we could supply those at short notice is it too late to add the text to the demo? Well...actually nevermind. Thinking about it, the tutorial vids would be an issue; anyway, it was a nice thought.

My other issue is a lot of lag, even on the intro and tut vids. Is this an issue or is it just my rig. It's very noticeable in the command room (I suspect that's because of the animated reticule on the periscope) and also the actual preiscope view but disappears in the other stations, even the deck gun with its full external view is fine? I've found adjusting the graphic option has little effect on this. Full graphic options means slightly more lag in command/scope views but still no lag in other stations.

Running 32bit Vista, rig is speccy. (if not a little old )