SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-07-09, 11:49 PM   #241
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Thanks all, that's good to hear. Well, I promised to share the tools I used to make this mod. I've updated the first post with an archive containing:
- one PSD file with all the dials in very high resolution + the metal background without holes.
- one excel spreadsheet that I used to place all the items. It's main purpose was to check the actual position on screen even though the Zone line doesn't need those values. However it's not that easy, you'll still have to do some calculations and enter data manually. It's pretty useless for SH3 but not quite, as in the Zone line you can still see the actual position in pixels on screen. More info on how to use it is written inside it and the headers have tooltips.
- one word document template which I used to renumber the items in the menu.ini file. If you don't know how to enable macros in word i will be useless. hsie made a java tool that didn't work for me so I had to improvise. It works for both SH3 and SH4.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 01:54 AM   #242
crisi
Swabbie

Downloads: 237

@karamazovnew: excellent mod You have created. It's planed to redesign the observation persicope?
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 05:40 AM   #243
karamazovnew
The Old Man

I don't see any point in changing the other scope or the UZO. I admit I had planned to do this, but it would take too long and SH5 is just months away. I believe that this attack scope provides all the necessary items for easy but rewarding manual attacks. Plus I have an engineer degree to worry about. Plus, I want to actually PLAY the game .
Old 12-08-09, 10:18 AM   #244
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

I actually like the choice in aiming

My pc is fixed now only reinstall all *Sigh* what a crapload of progs I had to make my life easier
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 10:21 AM   #245
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
I have determined that the following procedure will provided an "accurate" mast height for the .cfg

Using S3D create a "test" node and slave it to the main ships node.
Place the "test node" on the keel under the "tallest" mast and note the "y" value.
Move the "test" node to the top of mast and again note the "y" value.
Determine the total number of units from keel to mast top and multiply by 10 to get the length in meters
Open the .sim file with S3D and note the "draught" under unit_ship/obj_hydro/Surfaced and "subtract" the value you generated in the last step.

I have conducted a number of different test today to "validate" the mast height are correct.

During testing I noted that the values for mast height and ship length for ships for OM will have to be redone as they are inaccurate. I will start working on this shortly
Well, my face is red, my proceedure for trying to figure out mast height appears to be wrong. I'll have to come up with something else to determine the correct value
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 10:51 AM   #246
EgoApocalypse
Lieutenant

Location: The system might fail you. But dont fail youself...................
Downloads: 36

LOVE IT............

EgoApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 06:39 AM   #247
karamazovnew
The Old Man

All right peeps, second patch is up. Download link in the first post. These are only a few image files so the patch can be applied during patrols. Features:
- deleted the extra 'r' in StadensehroRhr
- made the periscope marks HIGH REZ. The old ones were made starting from 1024/768 and were scaling up, also scaling up the rounding errors. The new ones start from 1920x1200 and scale down. Their accuracy is 100% perfect, with no rounding errors whatsoever and they can be used as reference to check the masts and lengths with total confidence.

I recommend changing the Binoculars to have an Angular Angle of 72 and zoom level of 10. This will maintain a smooth mouse control and make about 130 meter FOV at 1000 meters, as a true 7x50 navy binocular has.
Also, I recommend changing the Data\Cfg\commands.cfg file (either the SH4 one or the SH3 one, whichever you use) to have the following code. It will make the torpedo open/closed switches update instantly and free up the W key. The "Open/Close selected torpedo tube" still work as unkeyed commands, in case you have special buttons in the orders bar.

[Cmd308]
Name=Open_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1

[Cmd309]
;Name=Close_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1

[Cmd310]
Name=Open_sel_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1

[Cmd311]
Name=Close_sel_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1
;Key0=0x57,,"W"

[Cmd312]
Name=Toggle_open_close_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x51,,"Q"

Note about masts and lengths recalculation: what I recommend is making a custom mission with 4 static ships surrounding the submerged sub, all at 90 degree port AOB and all at 1000 meters away from the boat. Use high zoom to check mast and Low zoom to check the length. Having fixed periscopes and 0 speed wind will help a lot too. Using 16:10 resolutions would also be better.

The new KSMF ships seem to have their height value linked to the Funnel, not the masts. Probably a lesson learned from SCAF or RFB.
For example, the K-KM-KF-KM Merchant has a MAST of 30 meters (NOT 22.5) and a length of 140m (NOT 150). The funnels might be a better place to calculate the height anyway. Precision is not paramount at this level because the player can't place the AOBF precisely anyway since the Marks circle has few values. So errors of .5m for masts and 2-3m for length are not a problem. I also recommend indicating on each ship image which mast should be used as reference.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 12-09-09 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-09-09, 06:52 AM   #248
karamazovnew
The Old Man

EgoApocalypse: WTF?! What version are you using? That's the background used in the Alpha 3.0! Get your ass to Lurker's OMEGU thread and download his patch to get KiUB 1.1. Then apply my 1.2 patch. NOW!
Old 12-09-09, 07:41 AM   #249
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
All right peeps, second patch is up. Download link in the first post. These are only a few image files so the patch can be applied during patrols. Features:
- deleted the extra 'r' in StadensehroRhr
- made the periscope marks HIGH REZ. The old ones were made starting from 1024/768 and were scaling up, also scaling up the rounding errors. The new ones start from 1920x1200 and scale down. Their accuracy is 100% perfect, with no rounding errors whatsoever and they can be used as reference to check the masts and lengths with total confidence.

I recommend changing the Binoculars to have an Angular Angle of 72 and zoom level of 10. This will maintain a smooth mouse control and make about 130 meter FOV at 1000 meters, as a true 7x50 navy binocular has.
Also, I recommend changing the Data\Cfg\commands.cfg file (either the SH4 one or the SH3 one, whichever you use) to have the following code. It will make the torpedo open/closed switches update instantly and free up the W key. The "Open/Close selected torpedo tube" still work as unkeyed commands, in case you have special buttons in the orders bar.

[Cmd308]
Name=Open_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1

[Cmd309]
;Name=Close_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1

[Cmd310]
Name=Open_sel_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1

[Cmd311]
Name=Close_sel_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1
;Key0=0x57,,"W"

[Cmd312]
Name=Toggle_open_close_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x51,,"Q"

Note about masts and lengths recalculation: what I recommend is making a custom mission with 4 static ships surrounding the submerged sub, all at 90 degree port AOB and all at 1000 meters away from the boat. Use high zoom to check mast and Low zoom to check the length. Having fixed periscopes and 0 speed wind will help a lot too. Using 16:10 resolutions would also be better.

The new KSMF ships seem to have their height value linked to the Funnel, not the masts. Probably a lesson learned from SCAF or RFB.
For example, the K-KM-KF-KM Merchant has a MAST of 30 meters (NOT 22.5) and a length of 140m (NOT 150). The funnels might be a better place to calculate the height anyway. Precision is not paramount at this level because the player can't place the AOBF precisely anyway since the Marks circle has few values. So errors of .5m for masts and 2-3m for length are not a problem. I also recommend indicating on each ship image which mast should be used as reference.

I'm working on the "mast height" now so the MFM ships are correct and use the "tallest" mast. Will work on the other items. I hope to be done in a day or two.
Old 12-09-09, 04:13 PM   #250
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
I'm working on the "mast height" now so the MFM ships are correct and use the "tallest" mast. Will work on the other items. I hope to be done in a day or two.
It sounds like a TON of work. Need help?
Old 12-09-09, 04:28 PM   #251
EgoApocalypse
Lieutenant

Quote:
EgoApocalypse: WTF?! What version are you using? That's the background used in the Alpha 3.0! Get your ass to Lurker's OMEGU thread and download his patch to get KiUB 1.1. Then apply my 1.2 patch. NOW!

Yes Sir......

Old 12-09-09, 04:45 PM   #252
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
I have determined that the following procedure will provided an "accurate" mast height for the .cfg

Using S3D create a "test" node and slave it to the main ships node.
Place the "test node" on the keel under the "tallest" mast and note the "y" value.
Move the "test" node to the top of mast and again note the "y" value.
Determine the total number of units from keel to mast top and multiply by 10 to get the length in meters
Open the .sim file with S3D and note the "draught" under unit_ship/obj_hydro/Surfaced and "subtract" the value you generated in the last step.

I have conducted a number of different test today to "validate" the mast height are correct.

During testing I noted that the values for mast height and ship length for ships for OM will have to be redone as they are inaccurate. I will start working on this shortly
Quote:
It sounds like a TON of work. Need help?
Had most of it done already. Had a small setback the other day when my original formula for mast height didn't work out, but I got it working now and have done a number of test to confirm that I'm getting the right answer. The ships from MFM were the ones that had the most problems.

I've already taken care of your other request, except for the one for markings on the ship images, I just don't have time. All the mast heights are from the tallest mast,except for the HMS Furious, which will be the flight deck
Old 12-09-09, 05:08 PM   #253
EgoApocalypse
Lieutenant

Sry too Interupt Lurker.........................Rude I know.

But I had too.

Old 12-09-09, 06:46 PM   #254
Oberleutnant nederlander
Mate

Downloads: 131

wow ! this look's wicked ! ...any of it insight of completion yet? first time ive seen this, look's great..

lets hope it will be a jgsme applied mod..

keep up the great work
Old 12-09-09, 07:24 PM   #255
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Ego, did you overlap 2 screenshots? Or is that how it looks in the game? Because it shouldn't. I think you just applied the 1.2 patch directly over the KiUB Alpha 3.0 in OMEGU v300. Let me explain again:

1. Get OM v705 and DON'T PLACE place it over TMO or RFB: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1097
2. Apply the OM V705-V720 patch: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1403
3. Get OMEGU v300, this contains the Alpha 3.0 version of KiUB: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1336
4. Apply the OMEGU Patch1 which upgrades the KiUB to Final 1.1.: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1449
5. Apply my patch to bring it up to latest (and probably last) KiUB v1.2: http://www.filefront.com/15093763/KiUB-1.2-Patch.zip/

Note... if you want to use OM plot v400 instead of OMEGU:
1. same as before
2. same as before
3 & 4. Get the OM plot v401 here that contains KiUB v1.1: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1154
5. same as before

That applies to you too Oberltnt. And of course it's JSGME ready. The mod is ready and final unless anyone spots more bugs.

Lurker, nice job mate, can't wait to see them, please integrate the 1.2 patch and maybe even the changes I talked about in post #247. I'll then delete the patch from filefront to avoid any other misunderstandings.