SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-08, 09:25 PM   #226
DS
Planesman

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0
Default Snorkel Update

Got a chance to do more testing on the snorkels. Here are my findings:

1944 through to February, 1945 (sub version period tested) the type VIIC and IXC have working snorkels available. IXB, IXC/40, and IXD2 do not (IID not tested).

On the VIIC the snorkels do allow submerged operation of diesels for both propulsion and battery charging at up to 12 metres depth (PD is at 13, so manual guage depth setting is needed). CO2 continues to build though.

On IXC, snorkel operates all the way down to PD.

On another note, the new VIIC control room does create a notable frame rate decrease, but it is not bad at all on my machine, especially when you consider the detail and emersion benefits. Great work!
Old 05-23-08, 07:08 AM   #227
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS
Got a chance to do more testing on the snorkels. Here are my findings:

1944 through to February, 1945 (sub version period tested) the type VIIC and IXC have working snorkels available. IXB, IXC/40, and IXD2 do not (IID not tested).

On the VIIC the snorkels do allow submerged operation of diesels for both propulsion and battery charging at up to 12 metres depth (PD is at 13, so manual guage depth setting is needed). CO2 continues to build though.

On IXC, snorkel operates all the way down to PD.

On another note, the new VIIC control room does create a notable frame rate decrease, but it is not bad at all on my machine, especially when you consider the detail and emersion benefits. Great work!
I added this ahead of time in support of later versions of OM. But it you’re complaining about it I’ll remove them right now!
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 07:31 PM   #228
DS
Planesman

Downloads: 85

Hi Lurker,

My post was not a complaint, but rather a compliment and, hopefully, a contribution to your development of OM. Working snorkels are a fantastic and unexpected bonus that OM gives players (as I mentioned in my first post on this a few days ago). I have followed earlier attempts by other at introducing working snorkels to SH4, and as far as I can tell, your's are the best so far.

I also appreciate the help you lended with the skin issue we talked about in PMs.

I am among OM's biggest fans, believe me.
Old 05-24-08, 02:10 PM   #229
GerritJ9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 6

Just finished the first OM campaign I started, the one starting July 1st 1943- received the message that the war was over while in the Banda Sea en route to Soerabaja after circling Australia.
Only quibble is that the UZO doesn't show up, other than that a first-rate job indeed!

My SH3/SH4 mods: http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/GerritJ9
GerritJ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 04:30 PM   #230
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritJ9
Only quibble is that the UZO doesn't show up
Would you please expand this comment with some more details ? If there is some kind of bug with the UZO I would like to know about it. Which Sub ???? Which Version of OM V100 or V200 ????
Old 05-25-08, 03:24 AM   #231
GerritJ9
Sonar Guy

I first started the July 1943 campaign with v1.00, no problems with the UZO (or anything else); switched to v2.00 when it was released and restarted the campaign: the UZO wouldn't show up. Patched up to patch 3 but the problem remained. Used type IXC/40 as this is the only sub choice for this particular campaign. OM added with JSGME, running SH4 v1.5 with TMO (latest version) and Spax German speech pack- no other mods enabled. OS W2000 Pro with SP4 and ALL available updates.
I did mention the UZO bug previously, as did someone else.

Old 05-25-08, 08:06 AM   #232
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritJ9
I first started the July 1943 campaign with v1.00, no problems with the UZO (or anything else); switched to v2.00 when it was released and restarted the campaign: the UZO wouldn't show up. Patched up to patch 3 but the problem remained. Used type IXC/40 as this is the only sub choice for this particular campaign. OM added with JSGME, running SH4 v1.5 with TMO (latest version) and Spax German speech pack- no other mods enabled. OS W2000 Pro with SP4 and ALL available updates.
I did mention the UZO bug previously, as did someone else.
Now I understand why you “think” there is no UZO on the Type IX. This is the default view position when you go to the bridge.

The position “appears” a little to “high” and you cannot see the UZO from that point of view. If you were to look down or step back you would see the UZO

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 05-25-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-26-08, 02:54 AM   #233
GerritJ9
Sonar Guy

The problem is not in whether or not I can see the UZO, but in not being able to USE it (though admittedly I never looked down so have no idea if it is actually there). In v1.0, hitting key "U" immediately gave me the usual view through the UZO- in v2.0, even patched up to patch 3........ nothing at all happened- I simply stayed at the previous view (bridge, map, control room etc). Apologies for not making this sufficiently clear.
I'll download v2.0 again and see whether the previous d/l was corrupt in some way.

Old 05-26-08, 09:00 AM   #234
GerritJ9
Sonar Guy

Disabled and deleted patch 3, then installed and enabled patch 4........ UZO works perfectly now. Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

Old 05-27-08, 05:29 AM   #235
U56
Helmsman

Downloads: 129
Default Milch Cows?

Apologies in advance if I have missed this info somewhere obvious. I have just started a Paukenschlag patrol in a type VII from La Pallice,(departed 3June42 in U752) and am wondering where or how I can find any Milch Cows during the course of my patrol?

Regards
U56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 06:34 AM   #236
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by U56
Apologies in advance if I have missed this info somewhere obvious. I have just started a Paukenschlag patrol in a type VII from La Pallice,(departed 3June42 in U752) and am wondering where or how I can find any Milch Cows during the course of my patrol?

Regards
You will receive a message when they are on station
Old 05-27-08, 11:53 AM   #237
U56
Helmsman

Downloads: 129

Many thanks. Nice to see you have the Milch cows on station at the correct historical time and approx location. I topped off fuel off one NW of the Azores on my way to the Caribbean (U459). I encountered my first merchant, a lone ship Northbound off Miami. I fired one eel at 1700 meters, but it ran deep, so I battle surfaced to sink her by gunfire.(She was unarmed). My tally now 1 for 1856 tons.

Once again thanks for a wonderful mod, looking forward to further expansions!

Regards
U56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 03:40 PM   #238
kurfürst
Chief

Downloads: 152
IX C/40 Late War Conning Tower?

Dear Lurker,

just sailed with the "Operation Monsun/ Drumbeat" IX C/40 and think that the conning tower looks a bit like a late war IX C.

Is it possible to get a tower of a late war IX C/40 with the long "Wintergarten" and the "Zwilling" twin 3.7 cm Flak?

Attached is a shot of a great IX C/40 skin made by Yamato.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...otkihldeaz.jpg

The SH III IX B´s also have a Flak gun behind the conning tower, can this possibly be added?

You made a great Mod and gave life to the Uboat Missions Add-on, and I´m sure it was a hell lot of work. If I´m asking too much, please forgive me!

Gute Jagd, Arnd
kurfürst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 08:43 PM   #239
nautilus42
Watch Officer

Downloads: 225
Default Unrealistic_AI_Visual_Sensors and some Bugs in OpsMonsun V200!

Hi lurker_hlb3, I like your OpsMonsun V200 Mod, but I found some "Bugs" in your MOD.

1. I think the AirB_Visual and AirS_Visual Sensors in your AI_Visual_Sensors.dat (OpsMonsun V200 ) must reworked. How it is possible that a Liberator_Bomber attack me everytimes, if I at 80 meter Depth in the Biscaya 1943. Has the Allies_Pilots Eagle_Eyes or "underwater_radar" or maybe Special_SonarBuoys?
2. Some from your new DD`s has no DC_Racks and K_Guns ( wrong entries in the .eqp_files
3. The Textures from your new DC_Racks and K_Guns are wrong, you takes Textures from the SH4 guns_radars but the Textures must be guns.tga, because the new DC_and K_Guns.dats from NYGM. Please check all the new dats.
4. All Dials in the NSS_Uboat7_ Interior don`t work, all Dials at -12-.
5. I think, that no Japanese_Crew works on allied WarShips in WWII. Why you put Japanese_Guns on Allied_WarShips?

Greeting
nautilus42
nautilus42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 09:19 PM   #240
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus42
Hi lurker_hlb3, I like your OpsMonsun V200 Mod, but I found some "Bugs" in your MOD.

1. I think the AirB_Visual and AirS_Visual Sensors in your AI_Visual_Sensors.dat (OpsMonsun V200 ) must reworked. How it is possible that a Liberator_Bomber attack me everytimes, if I at 80 meter Depth in the Biscaya 1943. Has the Allies_Pilots Eagle_Eyes or "underwater_radar" or maybe Special_SonarBuoys?
Since I'm the brainiac who's ultimately responsible for that, ill field this one.

From TM's FAQ:

Quote:
21.) Planes are detecting me at impossible depths! What gives?!

This mod assigns additional visual sensors to unit types. One of these sensors goes to just aircraft. This visual sensor gives aircraft the ability to detect shallow submerged objects. However, there is a small problem. The radius of visual detection can be adjusted, just not the depth. There is a long drawn out explanation for the way things are set the way they are, but suffice to say, yes occasionaly a plane will make a detection at a seemingly impossible depth. Such occurances are by my experience however, rare. Submerged visual detection by aircraft, isnt a 100% thing. Several factors come into play such as, what angle your sub is to the viewing plane (bows on vs broadside), state of the sea, lightinig level, fog level, etc. Every step has been made to ensure that submerged detection is as realistic as the game engine allows, and fair to the player. Visual detection was even made to be effected by thermal layers. So all that can be done, has been done. You may wonder why this was one at all. Simply because the positive aspects of this particular mod far outweigh the occasional scruple. In the end this is a MODIFCATION, a mod is really nothing more then a hack at a finished product. Its not like i have acces to the source code to effect "real" changes.

Now, your probably wondering why do this at all? Because when i orginally hatched up this modification, i had the clearer waters of the pacific in mind. As a minor example, see the first picture in this url:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08360.htm

Now if such visual detection in the atlantic is possible or not i don't know. I would hazard a guess that it probably is, but probably not to the extend that was possible in the pacific.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote