SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-11, 08:32 PM   #1
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 209
Uploads: 0
Default Questions about underwater mines:

Well, i've gotten an itch to play SH5 again, and am currently testing OHII, along with the latest FXupdate, IRAI, and TDWNewUIs.

As a history/realism geek, i can't understand how a hydrophone is able to detect a minefield. SONAR makes sense, but what noise is being produced to "hear" a static mine? Upon going to the hydrophone station, I cannot hear any mines, even though my sound guy is flipping out about "new contacts." As far as I know, (which is little, so thats why I'm asking) underwater mines do not make any noise. Unless they are hitting my hull, and even then, the old saying, "If a mine blows up my entire boat, is anyone left alive to hear it?"

This is causing much confusion. Anyone else's thoughts would be appreciated.
mobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 07:24 AM   #2
DoveEgg
Seaman

Downloads: 138

It's my understanding this was a workaround created by the mod creator to ensure that the crew would spot the mines. If the mines were truely silent, the crew would never spot them, and you'd likely run over one of them without warning.

I'm sure someone with more expertise will be along to expand upon my response, or give you a better answer.
DoveEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 07:53 AM   #3
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

While we're on the topic of mines, despite them being mentioned in radio reports, I assume they're not in the stock game at all, just in OHII?

Also I think DuckEgg's answer is right - it's a workaround.
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 08:16 AM   #4
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

I have found the reason sound guy can hear mines:

It seems the english are trying to lure us towards the mines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveEgg View Post
and you'd likely run over one of them without warning.
Hahaha, come on men! Mines WOULD be incredibly hard to see in the rolling ocean, you WOULD run over them without knowing about it, hense the reason they were used (about 600,000 in WWII)

Are mines displayed on map if map contacts are on? This is the only "workaround" that makes sense to me.
Old 08-01-11, 09:25 AM   #5
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Im not happy at all with the limitations we have in the game but we have to play with the tools we have and improvise a LOT.

The mines were a big problem in OH2, first of all because the crew was unable to spot them simply because they are "trained" to spot only naval units. If you make the mines naval units, they will act like any other naval unit, including being shown on map.

If you dont make the mines spotable, when you use high TC you may run over them and blow in pieces without know what hit you or even worst.. game will crash.

Personally Im very upset with this game and the limitations given. I planned a massive campaign where a LOT of things will happen but I had to cut down stuff one by one. Simply because the game itself out of box is very unstable and most of all.. is a huge resource sucker. Put more than 30-40 ships into a convoy and the game will freeze or crash. Operation Weserubung, D-Day had to be toned down and even so only those with high end PC will be able to join the show. In the end, the campaign mod is far from what was planned but we cant do much about.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 09:58 AM   #6
mobucks
Seasoned Skipper

so many things which seemed impossible have become reality. I will remain optomistic for the future. Thankyou for the explanations; for now, I will live with it.

A new map showing known and possible minefields being released would help people to not go into a minefield at 1024 tc... or not. Seems whoever reports issues the loudest around here gets the changes they need made, even if it kills realism/immersion. I for one could live with CTDs or slowing down TC in known mine areas, if it meant a more authentic experience.

As for people CTDing, that can happen running into a lot other situations than 200 mines being spawned, ergo we have the "less mines/traffic" patch. People who CTD can use that.