SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-21, 07:49 AM   #6226
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 07:52 AM   #6227
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A UK trial has launched to see if giving people different Covid vaccines for first and second doses works as well as giving them the same one twice.

People's immune response "could be enhanced" by combining the vaccines, England's deputy chief medical officer, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, says.

More than 10 million people in the UK have now received a first dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

The Australian Open boss says he is confident the tennis tournament will start on Monday, despite 160 players awaiting Covid tests results.

The number of patients waiting over an hour to transfer from ambulance teams to A&E staff in England falls to its lowest level this winter.

International travel had the biggest impact on death rates for countries hit in the pandemic's first wave, an Aberdeen University study has found.

Globally, there have now been more than 104 million Covid cases, and more than 2.2 million deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Old 02-04-21, 08:00 AM   #6228
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Portugal’s surge in Covid cases is continuing, with another 9,000 cases in 24 hours and the number of patients in hospital rising to 6,684. Hospital beds in some areas are running out and German medics have arrived to help out, as our report from Lisbon explains.

Denmark is planning to introduce a “digital corona passport” as a proof of vaccination. Swedish ministers are keen on the idea too – with the aim of helping to reopen society and kick-start business. But should it mean that unvaccinated Danes can’t go into cafes and restaurants? One opinion poll says 31% of Danes don’t think so.

Norway’s health authority has become the latest in Europe not to recommend the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for over-65s. Health authorities in Germany, Austria, France and elsewhere have already imposed restrictions even though the EU's health authority has approved the drug, so what is the evidence? Our Reality Check team report here.

Germany’s ruling parties have agreed a package of new financial aid measures. There’ll be a one-off €150 (£130) bonus to child benefit, extra money for culture and the restaurant sector will have a cut on sales tax extended until the end of the year.

Delays to Covid vaccinations could cost the EU’s economy €90bn this year if it fails to catch up with vaccination programmes, according to a study by credit insurer Euler Hermes. Every euro invested would save €4 in losses due to current restrictions, it says.

French PM Jean Castex is not expected to announce another lockdown in his latest press conference this evening. But an opinion poll suggests as many as 55% want a hard lockdown, and young people are more keen on it than over-65s.

Old 02-04-21, 09:15 AM   #6229
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-04-21, 02:14 PM   #6230
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The UK is "getting safer every day" as more people get coronavirus jabs, vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi says.

Almost 10.5 million people in the UK have now received a first dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

But a further 915 people have died within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test in the UK

The UK's rapid Covid-19 vaccination programme will help the economy rebound strongly this year, the Bank of England says.

A UK trial has launched to see if giving people different Covid vaccines for first and second doses works as well as giving them the same one twice.

The Australian Open boss says he is confident the tennis tournament will start on Monday, despite 160 players awaiting Covid tests results.

The number of patients waiting over an hour to transfer from ambulance teams to A&E staff in England falls to its lowest level this winter.

Old 02-04-21, 02:19 PM   #6231
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A further 20,634 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK, according to government figures.

That's slightly higher than Wednesday's daily total of 19,202.

A further 915 people have died within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test in the UK, the government's daily figures show.

It brings the total number of people to die within 28 days of a positive Covid test to 110,250.

Old 02-05-21, 07:53 AM   #6232
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

With the roll-out of Android 11, the use of the German Corona app becomes acceptable again.

The app is pretty useless, but on the other hand it does no harm, so - why not.

Some years ago, Google had ruled, without technical need!, that Bluetooth LE (low energy, a different protocol than normal Bluetooth) could only be operated when switching on localization as well. Since Corona apps use Bluetooth LE, you had to accept that Google tracked you and could establish movement profiles of you. Google, not the Corona app.

In the recent Android update, Google has uncoupled these two things, localiser and Bluetooth LE again. Its sufficient now to just switch on Bluetooth to have the Corona app doign whatiti should: detect other Bluetooth LE radiations in its vicinity and compare them to an anonymized database with infected Bluetooth users. Active localizer "service" is no longer needed (and why should it be).

People like me, who switch off both mobile internet and WLAN before taking the smartphone out with them (if I take it with me, that is...), count this as a biggie. For the same reason I do not use Google maps, since it almost forces you to be online and thus trackable by Google. I use a passive navigation app with just passive GPS instead, and a set of maps stored on the device indefinitely and without time limit. (Google Map makes it intentionaly complicated to store a small map, and if you have not used it for some days, it gets deleted again. Google does all it can to make you agreeing to be tracked by them).

Not that the German Corona app is of much use. Mostly it apparently is not. But even just a small number of "events" being avoided may be worth it - if you would, have been one of those "events". Just how the app should help ina vpoiding that, is beyond me. for the user gets no constructive information from it . As much as I favour protection of privacy and personal data - with this app they have exaggerated it (and with many other thigns as well). Happens often now that they exaggerate these things. No healthy reason, no sense of proportion, but then: too many dubious manouvers by both industries and lawmakers alike.
Old 02-05-21, 10:38 AM   #6233
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
A gentleman 3 doors down from me was taken to hospital yesterday evening with china virus symptoms, our 50 bungalow complex has been locked down like fort knox since.
I can't blame the authorities for taking such stringent measures as the oldest resident is a 103 yrs old, no visitors are allowed in the complex grounds for at least a fortnight, this yellow peril is getting closer and closer.
Bloody Hell! second China Virus case has been confirmed today by the manageress of the complex. By all accounts the first person has recently had 3 or 4 hospital appointments so its likely that's where its come from. He was the errand boy for some residents so their might be some other cases in the next day or two, lets hope not as 2 is more than enough.
Old 02-05-21, 11:04 AM   #6234
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Lets get this clear. Johnson and Johnson have plants in Europe producing the vaccine, but they have insisted that the vaccine must be send to the US for filling it in flasks, making it vulnerable to be confiscated by the US for own use. We have had FFP2 mask wars already, and very shady, dubious night-and-fog methods by Americna buyers beign used to hijack deliveries for another customer right at the Chinese factory gate. Europeans, namely Germans send a letter. america send men with suitcases full of banknotes.

But the EU signed this "deal".

The EU signed it.

Wie kann man so scheißdämlich sein.

I do not accuse the Americans, not back then and not now, they do what is needed to secure their interests. I accuse the EU for being irresponsibly naive and stupid.

So much stupidity defies every description.
Old 02-05-21, 12:12 PM   #6235
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Listening to the news, it is reported the vaccine does not prevent one from getting COVID-19. The vaccine helps in eradicating it from the body faster. The symptoms are much reduces. However, a vaccinated individual can still be infected with COVID-19 and spread to others. A mask must still be worn. Some vaccinated could still feel the full effects of the virus anyway.

I'm wondering, why the urgency for a vaccine that helps some but appears to not help very much.
Old 02-05-21, 12:39 PM   #6236
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorreact21 View Post
When will this pandemic end? How many of my friends have died and how many have lost their jobs, including me. A very difficult time in fact
It ends when we learn to live with the virus. Similar to the way we live with the flu virus.
Old 02-05-21, 01:27 PM   #6237
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Listening to the news, it is reported the vaccine does not prevent one from getting COVID-19. The vaccine helps in eradicating it from the body faster. The symptoms are much reduces. However, a vaccinated individual can still be infected with COVID-19 and spread to others. A mask must still be worn. Some vaccinated could still feel the full effects of the virus anyway.

I'm wondering, why the urgency for a vaccine that helps some but appears to not help very much.
There is not one vaccine, but severla ones, and the AZ vaccine reduces the transmission of the disease by I think 70% or somethign in that range, means: most vaccinated persons not showing symptoms also do not infect others.

If you wonder why these vaccines that "help not much" are needed, then you have still not understood what currently is taking place in emergency rooms and ICUs all around the world, nor are you aware of the follow-up conseqeunces from suffocating corona cases blcking capacities that are missing for other ill people who have treatments and operations and evben diagnosis delayed. What have you done the past 12 months? Exploration tours on the moon?
Old 02-05-21, 01:53 PM   #6238
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Lets get this clear. Johnson and Johnson have plants in Europe producing the vaccine, but they have insisted that the vaccine must be send to the US for filling it in flasks, making it vulnerable to be confiscated by the US for own use. We have had FFP2 mask wars already, and very shady, dubious night-and-fog methods by Americna buyers beign used to hijack deliveries for another customer right at the Chinese factory gate. Europeans, namely Germans send a letter. america send men with suitcases full of banknotes.

But the EU signed this "deal".

The EU signed it.

Wie kann man so scheißdämlich sein.

I do not accuse the Americans, not back then and not now, they do what is needed to secure their interests. I accuse the EU for being irresponsibly naive and stupid.

So much stupidity defies every description.
Are you telling us, that if EU was a person, s/he was to be taken to a lunatic farm ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 02:17 PM   #6239
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Are you telling us, that if EU was a person, s/he was to be taken to a lunatic farm ?

Markus
I reckon he may well be

Old 02-05-21, 02:17 PM   #6240
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan