SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-13, 03:47 PM   #1
Macardigan
Engineer

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 0
Default Tutorial -determine type, speed, RPM, of merchant using hydrophone(no visual contact)

(all google translation from spanish)
Hi again.

important: To use this tutorial in the game you need to have installed the MOD-RPM Hydrophone merchants 2.x- link mod: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=204151

TUTORIAL

determine type, speed, RPM, of merchant using Hydrophone. (no visual contact)
----------------------------------------------------------------
-

- Current date: 01/01/1941
- Heavy fog.

1. We have a contact hydrophone: Merchant, moving fast.

2. If the merchant is close enough to hear well its propeller, then we will calculate your RPM. (revolutions per minute).

3. We are going to hydrophone station and count the revolutions of the propeller of the merchant in a minute. Result: ~78 RPM
*Link to the video tutorial explaining how to count RPM using the hydrophone: link: (results differ from this tutorial, it is only to explain how it is calculated)

4. Next step. Determine the type of merchant using the hydrophone (CARGO, LIBERTY, PASSENGER, OilTanker)
*Link to the video tutorial explaining how to determine the type of merchant using the hydrophone: link:
Result: CARGO (This result is invented by me. This is not the result of the video tutorial).

5. Next step. Looking at the sheet we see that the merchant "SV small comp. Merchant" does not reach 78 rpm at maximum speed. 13 knots. So we can exclude it.

6. The following method of discards. Discard a ship that has not yet entered the campaign considering our current date.
Middleton attack transport: None country puts this ship at sea until 5/13/1942 (see Recognition Manual > Technical Data) This is later than our current date (01/01/1941).
C2-s-b1 hull large merchant: None country puts this ship at sea until 11/12/1941 (see Recognition Manual > Technical Data) This is later than our current date (01/01/1941).
Victory Cargo: None country puts this ship at sea until 02/28/1942 (see Recognition Manual > Technical Data) This is later than our current date (01/01/1941).
Then these merchants are discarded.

7.Finally we look at the merchants that we have not excluded and analyze the results to conclude with a correct speed of the ship. (heard by hydrophone)

If I have to choose one of the results, choose the SV_Medium_freighter to 13 knots. It is the closest to 78 rpm.
...but may be another ... who knows ...

If you find wrong data, this is a tutorial, is not data from a game played.
- The End -

- Questions ???

Greetings to all.

Good hunting.

Last edited by Macardigan; 07-10-13 at 01:39 AM.
Macardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 06:22 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Excellent tutorial

..just a smal remark: in my opinion using the speed estimation by the hydrophone operator for further identifying the ship is sort of cheating, as in theory it should be based on the same information you got available (propeller's RPM and machinery sound)
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 07:45 PM   #3
Macardigan
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Excellent tutorial

..just a smal remark: in my opinion using the speed estimation by the hydrophone operator for further identifying the ship is sort of cheating, as in theory it should be based on the same information you got available (propeller's RPM and machinery sound)
You're right gap.

I will remove the estimated speed of the sheet rpm.

--------Hola gap, te refieres a lo de "moving fast" no????
Ahora que lo dices pienso que es jugar con trampas, así que lo mínimo que puedo hacer es quitar los datos de la hoja de RPM.
-------------------
hi gap, you are referring to "moving fast", no??
Now that you mention it I think it's playing with traps, so the least I can do is remove the data sheet RPM.
Old 05-07-13, 07:58 PM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macardigan View Post
You're right gap.

I will remove the estimated speed of the sheet rpm.

--------Hola gap, te refieres a lo de "moving fast" no????
Ahora que lo dices pienso que es jugar con trampas, así que lo mínimo que puedo hacer es quitar los datos de la hoja de RPM.
-------------------
hi gap, you are referring to "moving fast", no??
Now that you mention it I think it's playing with traps, so the least I can do is remove the data sheet RPM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 08:06 PM   #5
Macardigan
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
estoy modificando el tutorial para eliminar esto que me comentas y resubiendo el add-on de la tabla sin los datos de velocidad estimada.

gracias de nuevo. A la próxima mejora te pongo de asesor de proyecto en los créditos.

xDDDDD

saludos y buena caza amigo.

Last edited by Macardigan; 05-07-13 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 12:14 PM   #6
Macardigan
Engineer

I added a picture of the "ship recognition manual" to explain it better.

good huntin'
my mod:
RPM Hydrophone 2.2 (updated July/06/2013)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205625
Old 07-25-13, 10:19 AM   #7
Taki1980
Gunner

Downloads: 65

Is this Mod Compatible with Schleichfahrt and Magui3.02? This are the Mainmods i use.

Can i continue my Campaign?

Or is that Mod maybe allready implemented in Schleichfahrt? It has OHII in it allready.

If i cant hear the Sound of background Machinery than maybe i can count the RPMs aswell? If i know its a Freighter for example.
Taki1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 07:25 AM   #8
Macardigan
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki1980 View Post
Is this Mod Compatible with Schleichfahrt and Magui3.02? This are the Mainmods i use.

Can i continue my Campaign?

Or is that Mod maybe allready implemented in Schleichfahrt? It has OHII in it allready.

If i cant hear the Sound of background Machinery than maybe i can count the RPMs aswell? If i know its a Freighter for example.
(translation from spanish)

* This mod works with CSP Magui Interface for SH5. link: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=204308

Install this mod, compatible for magui:
RPM Hydrophon for Magui V3.02 ---> http://www.mediafire.com/download/7b...agui_V3.02.rar
RPM Hydrophon Charts English

Or is that Mod maybe allready implemented in Schleichfahrt? <------ I don´t know.

and Yes, you can continue your campaign.

greetings.

You can count RPM always.
my mod:
RPM Hydrophone 2.2 (updated July/06/2013)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205625

Last edited by Macardigan; 08-27-13 at 08:11 AM.